Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First car, Senior in Highschool

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 09:10 AM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Research, research and more research. Take your time and pick the one you want with the options you want. There are plenty of pre-owned out there right now. Having a beater to drive around for the first few years is a good idea especially to learn winter driving, as I did the same but I'm not your parents nor here to school you.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:24 PM
Jareddml

Thanks again everyone, all advice is helpful. Do you guys know of any other car-buying/selling sites that can be trusted like autotrader, or cars.com? Also, just out of curiousity, are they're other cars out there that share the bull, bulky look of the 05+ mustangs and chargers?

Thanks again, Jared
Old 05-31-2011, 12:43 PM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

You can always search Craigslist.
That is where a lot of local private buyers will post their cars.
Be careful looking at the adds and stuff, if its too good to be true it probably is.
As far as cars that look like the Mustang or Chargers I don't really know of any.
A lot of variation didn't seem to show up until 2010+.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:33 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Also beware of "false versions" that some claim to be selling! If you see something you like and it says, BOSS GT or some other weird claim, post it on here and we'll let you know what it's really offering. I hate when people take advantage of first time buyers! It's just not fair.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:52 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Haha, OP you remind me of myself a LOT =)

I had a 1997 toyota camry 4 cyl LE as my first car, and after being told the same "you're just going to scrap it" thing- I came back a year later with the car in better shape than when I was handed the keys... That was when I proved to myself I could indulge a little lol.

Then I got my PP v6 just as I started college (first semester of frosh) and I have been in deep love ever since! These cars are fun, quick (for the price), and if you are looking for cons, they will require some tender love and care at some point (interior rattles, or basic maint., etc.). Be prepared for that (I'm sure you are, since you sound well prepped)

About the models- As mustangfirst stated, get a Pony Pkg, if you are looking for a v6 model. They have anti-roll bars, nice rims (IMO), and a fun little spoiler/grill combo lol. And moreover, they don't cost much more AT ALL (retail was like $900 for the package).

Maybe look for a high mileage 06 or if you're lucky 07, because many of the problems with the older models get fixed by this time(i.e. the water leaks, dash rattles, and suspension squeaking, etc.)

About buying, try some dealerships too (I know this sounds crazy), but they can sometimes be really nice, and down to earth. My friend got a used fusion from some middle of no-where ford dealer in kentucky, and he got an awesome deal- and a free dealer warranty (one year or so). (I don't know how useful those things are, but peace of mind is nice )

Just keep looking for that perfect deal, and when it comes- you will be ready. Good luck, and I hope to see you around soon behind the wheel of a new mustang!
Old 05-31-2011, 02:59 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tanner05
You can always search Craigslist.
That is where a lot of local private buyers will post their cars.
Be careful looking at the adds and stuff, if its too good to be true it probably is.
As far as cars that look like the Mustang or Chargers I don't really know of any.
A lot of variation didn't seem to show up until 2010+.
+1 on Craigslist! I bought my 99 Mustang off of a College student who posted his ad on Craigslist. =-)
I also frequent Autotrader.com.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:25 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I drive like a douche at 38, can't imagine how i'd have driven this car at 16.

I never had that kind of money at 16. Everything I made paid for my car payment, gas and going to the beach. A wise man would not spend every penny on a car. You'd probably be better off spending $5,000 cash on something cheaper, with fewer miles, that gets better gas mileage. Somehow, I don't think that's going to happen.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:34 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

As a follow-up to my previous post, in April 2009 I found a dealership selling a used '06 V6 Pony package with 9630 miles on it, garage kept with quite a few upgrades. It even still had the carpet protective plastic under the front mats. I picked it up for $13,500 after haggling with the owner. The dealership even replacced the fuel pump after I found it had the TSB-related issue.

Look, look again and look some more.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:11 PM
BLKSTAGE3
1st Gear Member

I'm 16 and worked my *** off for my car. I can respect your decision I went from BMW M3 to M5 to Audi RS6 obviously all used then the Roush was put into my driveway, quite literally and I loved it. I probably researched the perfect car since I was 12 obviously not as intensely as the last year, but it came down to service and you can't beat free.

As long as you have respect for cars and driving in general you'll be fine. My friend has VW GTI and he drives way more wreckless then I do, I keep it on the track. In the V6 range which I'm assuming you want due to your price range you'll be safe it's not much more power then the average sedan just that little bit to excite you.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:11 PM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

What Nuke said +100

When I bought my car it had 48k miles. They wanted 11,900 for it in Dec. '09.
We talked them down to 10k which wasn't a bad price.
But then I found a silver '08 with 25k miles for the same damn price the next day.
Ha I was not very happy. Look around A LOT

Quick Reply: First car, Senior in Highschool