Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cars that share the 05+ Mustang look

Old 06-04-2011, 11:19 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
Sounds like what you're really after is more of a muscle car than a pony car, which at this point in time would be a Charger, some version of the G8, or possibly a muscular truck.

The new versions of all three ponycars are more thick-bodied than their 1960's ancestors and have blurred the distinction between pony and muscle. I'm not sure that it's all for the better, since there should be a place for more graceful styling.

Norm
Hey, funny thing about the Charger is that I am seriously considering one very soon

It's obvious the old school Muscle-cars were very muscular but also very lean, unlike the bloated boats of today rofl

They look great though.. I seen a Challenger with the appearance package (spoiler/hood scoop), 20 inch chrome rims in bright cherry red.

It looked like a giant toy car, but wow!It really looked amazing in the showroom!

I couldn't imagine driving something that large and with RWD during the winter
Old 06-04-2011, 12:05 PM
Jareddml

Hey everyone, thank you so much!

I really can't say how much of a great forum this actually is. The responses are so thorough and informative, while each of you knows so much of what you're talking about. I really appreciate the information being given, and yea, the Charger is a really nice car allthough my good friend just got one for his 17th and I do not want to be the guy to copy him.

And for the guy who posted that video, thanks a lot! It had a lot of great information and details. It was so intresting to see the transformation from the past versions of the old legends to today.

I am still in-between on a car decision. It's really between the mustang, charger, or impala that I saw was mentioned. I'm going to continue to keep my eyes open online and on the streets for any sales and I guess I'll take the deal if it's a good one.

By the way, quick question. I know some cars can just eat up miles like they're nothing. A good example would be the honda civics and other really reliable cars. With only $10,000 to spend on a car, I have seen high mileage (80,000+)... For a mustang 05+, is that bad or OK? I know some cars age horribly, but what about these?

Thanks, once more,

Jared
Old 06-04-2011, 12:09 PM
TheYeti
2nd Gear Member

yeah I think the Challengers are awesome to look at but they are big...bigger then the 300. The 2011s are especially well built cars and feel solid. It definitely has more room then the mustang and I think more comfortable. If a pony car was going to be my daily driver, I would definitely consider one....
Old 06-04-2011, 12:10 PM
TheYeti
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jareddml
With only $10,000 to spend on a car, I have seen high mileage (80,000+)... For a mustang 05+, is that bad or OK? I know some cars age horribly, but what about these?

Thanks, once more,

Jared
Not sure about the V6's but the 4.6L are very strong engines. There are plenty of people running 120k plus miles with very little problems...
Old 06-04-2011, 12:12 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

How bad are the winters in Jersey?

If it's not so bad and you're looking for that old school muscle car look and a big honkin' motor.. I'd try and get the Challenger RT with appearance package

They're boats, but right about the same modding/power potential as the S197s.

Plus, when you build the motor, you have a 6.4 to bump it up to...

Last edited by stealth_GT; 06-04-2011 at 12:17 PM.
Old 06-04-2011, 01:23 PM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

My car only has 66k on it, but besides slight maintenance issues that car runs like a tank.
Mustangs are very reliable and tough little cars.
And even though it only has 210 HP its a fun car to drive.
Then the after market is huge if you end up wanting to mod the car.

Trust me you don't want the Impala SS.
First of all I'm pretty sure you can't really find one for around 10,000 unless its in terrible condition. My mom's has been taken care of pretty well, and it doesn't run nearly as well as my Mustang, and her's is an '08. The power steering pump really needs to be replaced and the electronics act up all the time (I guess that is a common problem).

It sounds like you are wanting a 4 door car pretty bad?
If so the Dodge Avenger doesn't look bad. Its definitely a stronger looking 4 door car.
And they go for pretty cheap now.

I actually found a s197 GT the other day for $9,500.
It had a rebuilt title though, but since you won't be getting a loan on the car (or it sounds like it anyway.) You might would want to look into something like that.

Last edited by Tanner05; 06-04-2011 at 01:27 PM.
Old 06-04-2011, 01:44 PM
digitalcos
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tanner05
...the Dodge Avenger doesn't look bad. Its definitely a stronger looking 4 door car.
And they go for pretty cheap now. .
My buddy had one as a rental while his car was in the shop. He said the build quality was awful. Car just felt cheap all around. Can't say from first hand experience, I was never in it. just puttin' that out there. I will agree though, they look like 'Charger Juniors'.

Speaking of Chargers, does anybody else think they've completely screwed up the look of the Chargers now? They got rid of the 'hips' that made it look so cool, and added some sorta faux Viper scallops as though that would call back the '68 Charger double scallops. well, guess what. It doesn't. It just looks stupid now.

Old 06-04-2011, 01:57 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by digitalcos

Speaking of Chargers, does anybody else think they've completely screwed up the look of the Chargers now? They got rid of the 'hips' that made it look so cool, and added some sorta faux Viper scallops as though that would call back the '68 Charger double scallops. well, guess what. It doesn't. It just looks stupid now.

No way, I think they look bad ***

Their tail lights look awesome as well.

I didn't like it at first either, especially the hood (looks like a crown!)

After awhile, the looks grew on me..

Last edited by stealth_GT; 06-04-2011 at 02:04 PM.
Old 06-04-2011, 06:04 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

I certainly like the newer Chargers more than the one before it. That one was a fail, 4 door, underpowered "Charger"

Front looks a lot like an Evo though. Not really liking that
Old 06-04-2011, 07:28 PM
Jareddml

Originally Posted by stealth_GT
How bad are the winters in Jersey?

If it's not so bad and you're looking for that old school muscle car look and a big honkin' motor.. I'd try and get the Challenger RT with appearance package

They're boats, but right about the same modding/power potential as the S197s.

Plus, when you build the motor, you have a 6.4 to bump it up to...
Winters are VERY bad in jersey unfortunately. My mom has a BMW 08 V6 sedan (unsure of model), and we could hardly get it up our street from the slick ice and snow.

Will this be a major problem for a mustang? And yea, Four doors would really be a plus but as for the Avenger, they always looked somewhat weak to me.

With the new Chargers, my friend really hates them. This is the same friend that had just gotten a new V8 2008 Charger and he says the newer versions are loosing their muscle-ness. I have to agree as they are starting to lose shape of their bodies and straight angles, being replaced with curves and etc.

Thanks again!
Jared

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cars that share the 05+ Mustang look