Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Hot rod cams, daily drivable?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 06:40 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

The only regret I feel one might have in getting cams is if they decide to go supercharged later and get the cams installed before then perhaps wanting blower cams after.
That or some shop screwing up the install lol!

Other than that I just can't imagine regretting them.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:55 AM
JustCruisinGT
1st Gear Member

This isn't my first cammed car, the specs on the cam are so mild I doubt I'd lose any significant down torque. With the 4.10s it won't even be noticeable. My previous car was an LS1 WS6 with the biggest cam you can stuff into that 5.7 liter are the time, the car made a huge and obvious power increase after 3,000 rpms. But with 4.10s driving under normal conditions it wasn't noticeable, hell like Smoke said, it was all in the tune.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:11 PM
GerRod
2nd Gear Member

I wouldn't install them on a daily driver. There are inherient issuers with these cams that you'll never get rid of. I've had tunes from just about every major tuner without any of them getting them just right.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:18 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by GerRod
I wouldn't install them on a daily driver. There are inherient issuers with these cams that you'll never get rid of. I've had tunes from just about every major tuner without any of them getting them just right.
Inherent issues? Please be more specific.
Are you aware of HOW MANY people just on this forum alone that have the Hot Rod cams with no issue?

Oh and to add to your statement. The tune may not be the problem. The instal of the cams could have been less than efficient.

The NSR Hot Rod Cams are known to be some of the friendliest cams on the market for these Mustangs. If you are talking about a hunting idle issue. Almost all cams can and will give you this to some degree.
And you have to go to the right place to have it adjusted.
Every major tuner eh? I doubt that as well.
Maybe you are talking about canned tuners?
Keep in mind also that a on site dyno tuner can fix problems usually easier than a canned tuner since your car is actually there for him to see the problem if there is one and adjust accordingly.

If you have had problems with your Hot Rods that are significant then you are one of the few.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:32 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
The only regret I feel one might have in getting cams is if they decide to go supercharged later and get the cams installed before then perhaps wanting blower cams after.
That or some shop screwing up the install lol!

Other than that I just can't imagine regretting them.
Did you figure out what was wrong with your S197?

I remember reading some threads back when you still had it and it having some bad issues. Not sure if they were cam related or not...
Old 06-12-2011, 01:39 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by stealth_GT
Did you figure out what was wrong with your S197?

I remember reading some threads back when you still had it and it having some bad issues. Not sure if they were cam related or not...

It was actually the tune.
I went to a tuner in the DFW will not name that never could get the tune right. Then I went to another in the DFW area and the guy fixed the problem in FIVE minutes. I am not even joking. FIVE freakin' minutes man.

Then that tuner spent two hours with me fine tuning the car JUST the way I wanted... I.E. the power curve. He said he would not allow my car to leave their without it being PERFECT for me.
Can't say enough about that place. Heck... he even bought me and my family member lunch.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:55 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
It was actually the tune.
I went to a tuner in the DFW will not name that never could get the tune right. Then I went to another in the DFW area and the guy fixed the problem in FIVE minutes. I am not even joking. FIVE freakin' minutes man.

Then that tuner spent two hours with me fine tuning the car JUST the way I wanted... I.E. the power curve. He said he would not allow my car to leave their without it being PERFECT for me.
Can't say enough about that place. Heck... he even bought me and my family member lunch.
Now that's some true customer service

Damn computers and all it's damn sensors, something little to break it, something little to fix it rofl

Great GT500 btw.. makes me want to get one! lol
Old 06-12-2011, 02:34 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Thanks bro!
Old 06-12-2011, 06:09 PM
svtsupremecy
1st Gear Member

what shop was it?