Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 10-16-2015, 11:52 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

Supercharged winter driving?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 02:18 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Default Supercharged winter driving?

How many of you supercharged guys drive year round.. INCLUDING the winter?

Reason being is that I take my Vortech off for the winter, and then again for the summer. It bugged me at first but it may have been a blessing in disguise.

I thought about selling it for a R2300, but that means instant torque.. in the snow?? nah, no thanks.

Then again, it will not kick in until about 3k anyways and I drive very slow during the winter.

I am also planning a stage 3 roush suspension upgrade, high stall torque converter (3K) and a light weight one piece drive-shaft...

Parking it is NOT an option, nor is a second car. I thought about trading in for a 2012 Dodge Charger AWD/RT with the 5.7 Hemi, but that car seems way too bulky to be nimble and too many doors.. I am still considering it though.

Don't they have Mustang winter rally cars or something? lol
Old 06-11-2011, 07:06 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stealth_GT
How many of you supercharged guys drive year round.. INCLUDING the winter?

Reason being is that I take my Vortech off for the winter, and then again for the summer. It bugged me at first but it may have been a blessing in disguise.

I thought about selling it for a R2300, but that means instant torque.. in the snow?? nah, no thanks.

Then again, it will not kick in until about 3k anyways and I drive very slow during the winter.

I am also planning a stage 3 roush suspension upgrade, high stall torque converter (3K) and a light weight one piece drive-shaft...

Parking it is NOT an option, nor is a second car. I thought about trading in for a 2012 Dodge Charger AWD/RT with the 5.7 Hemi, but that car seems way too bulky to be nimble and too many doors.. I am still considering it though.

Don't they have Mustang winter rally cars or something? lol

I drive my car year around.... Even with the Vortech in weather as the low teens....
Old 06-11-2011, 07:45 AM
JimC

Drive my Xcharger Xtreme year round as well. Been through many snow storms, big blizzards, and single digit temperatures with no problems at all.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:47 AM
turbo 2.8
3rd Gear Member

drove mine all winter , I did use a heating pad when the temp dropped below 25 degrees
Old 06-11-2011, 10:11 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by turbo 2.8
drove mine all winter , I did use a heating pad when the temp dropped below 25 degrees
Mine is garage kept thankfully so I don't have starts in weather like that! But... I always wondered whats the point in putting a heating pad on the vortech if its the actual oil in the block that is too "thick" to lubricate the gears correctly? Unless you are heating the headunit itself to keep the metal from contracting and causing the gears to lose clearance (which I've never heard of happening)?
Old 06-11-2011, 10:24 AM
yourmyboybh1026
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2005Redfire6
Mine is garage kept thankfully so I don't have starts in weather like that! But... I always wondered whats the point in putting a heating pad on the vortech if its the actual oil in the block that is too "thick" to lubricate the gears correctly? Unless you are heating the headunit itself to keep the metal from contracting and causing the gears to lose clearance (which I've never heard of happening)?
If it is the self-lubricated version then the heating pad will keep the oil warm too.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:51 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

How deep does the snow get and how cold does it get from your neck of the woods?

City clean up of the streets is spot on! The only times it's very bad is during surprise snowfalls very early in the morning, say 4am( I used to work that early) and I remember having to drive through 12-16 inches of fresh powder! By 12pm, it's completely plowed, salted with those little black rocks all over the place so it's never been "that bad".

I still wouldn't drive to Canada or anything during the winter rofl but around town.. it's not too bad, but I still like how AWD feels so much more confident in the winter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Tpl8MynaXA

Here is my old set up.. excuse the decals rofl

Last edited by stealth_GT; 06-11-2011 at 10:57 AM.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:02 AM
turbo 2.8
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2005Redfire6
I have the V-3 which has its own oil . but I thought that there was a clearance issue ( tolerance got tighter or metal would contract in colder weather )
This is what Vortech says

"In order to achieve the low noise level of Vortech
superchargers, Vortech specifies manufacturing
procedures that call for minimal internal clearance.
These precise tolerances however are not
conducive to temperatures below 25° F. Therefore,
storing the vehicle in a heated garage and/or
employing the use of an engine block
heater/aftermarket engine blanket is required when
the vehicle is subjected to a "cold startup" in
ambient temperatures below 25° F. Failure to
comply with this may result in immediate
supercharger failure and invalidate the
supercharger warranty."
Old 06-11-2011, 11:04 AM
BlackBeauty4.6
2nd Gear Member

yeaa i was wondering the same thing for when i SC mine.. the weather here in florida gets crazy and that was def a worry of mine! but it seems like it will be ok lol
Old 06-11-2011, 11:13 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

wow.. Florida must be horrible during the summer lol

Quick Reply: Supercharged winter driving?