Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V6 Premium with Performance Package question????

Old 06-21-2011, 04:17 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by pdonket
, I just had to figure out what I wasn't going to regret.
That's my point exactly.
He is already looking to mod the V6 to get more power out of it.
I think he is a guy that likes power.
Given that fact.... regret on buying the V6 would come I TRULY believe.

Especially after he gets into modding and finds out after spending alot on mods he cold have got the 5.0.
Most of us start off saying "Well I'll only get this or that for mods then be done"... well that just does NOT end up happening often.

My original plan for just getting CAI ended up on my 06 with getting
CAI, gears, CAMS, long tubes, catted x pipe, and a custom tune.
I still wanted more power.

If he can swing it... I think he should DEFINITELY get the 5.0 and save money in the LONG run. He will get SO MUCH more HP for the money.
Plus if he gets the mod bug his engine has more potential.

This is the type of guy that should get the 5.0
From the way he talks he CAN swing it.
He is just debating on saving money with the V6 which in the end of his modding days on that car... he will end up have spending more. Again especially HP for the money. I think he would be left wanting if he got the V6.

Not hacking on the V6. It's great for a V6 no question.
But the 5.0 again is SO much better as far as power etc.
Plus he is military. He can get incentives for that and MORE.
Like I said he needs to make a thread asking what are the MOST incentives he can get that way he can end up with one hell of a deal.
Which he can EASILY do. Just ask the guys that have taken that time to do so!

I'm telling you OP... The V6 does NOT sound like the car for you.
You DEFINITELY sound like a 5.0 guy.
Now if you just CANT afford it that is a different story. But if you can and you are just debating for saving money's sake... get the 5.0.
Again you will save money in the long run and be a happier camper in the end to own such an awesome car!

That or do what I did and look for a LOW mi. used GT500.
My 08 had 3800mi. on it. A BRAND new car.
And I got it for far less than a new 5.0
I just hunted on the internet.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:38 PM
Snakebite64
4th Gear Member

May I suggest a 2012 GT500
Old 06-21-2011, 06:13 PM
red07gt
1st Gear Member

Save your money and get the V8...it may take a little longer, but you will NOT regret it. Finally..........keep your head down and STAY SAFE so you can enjoy your stang when you get home....we are all praying for you guys!!!!
Old 06-21-2011, 07:01 PM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
That's my point exactly.
He is already looking to mod the V6 to get more power out of it.
I think he is a guy that likes power.
Given that fact.... regret on buying the V6 would come I TRULY believe.

Especially after he gets into modding and finds out after spending alot on mods he cold have got the 5.0.
Most of us start off saying "Well I'll only get this or that for mods then be done"... well that just does NOT end up happening often.

My original plan for just getting CAI ended up on my 06 with getting
CAI, gears, CAMS, long tubes, catted x pipe, and a custom tune.
I still wanted more power.

If he can swing it... I think he should DEFINITELY get the 5.0 and save money in the LONG run. He will get SO MUCH more HP for the money.
Plus if he gets the mod bug his engine has more potential.

This is the type of guy that should get the 5.0
From the way he talks he CAN swing it.
He is just debating on saving money with the V6 which in the end of his modding days on that car... he will end up have spending more. Again especially HP for the money. I think he would be left wanting if he got the V6.

Not hacking on the V6. It's great for a V6 no question.
But the 5.0 again is SO much better as far as power etc.
Plus he is military. He can get incentives for that and MORE.
Like I said he needs to make a thread asking what are the MOST incentives he can get that way he can end up with one hell of a deal.
Which he can EASILY do. Just ask the guys that have taken that time to do so!

I'm telling you OP... The V6 does NOT sound like the car for you.
You DEFINITELY sound like a 5.0 guy.
Now if you just CANT afford it that is a different story. But if you can and you are just debating for saving money's sake... get the 5.0.
Again you will save money in the long run and be a happier camper in the end to own such an awesome car!

That or do what I did and look for a LOW mi. used GT500.
My 08 had 3800mi. on it. A BRAND new car.
And I got it for far less than a new 5.0
I just hunted on the internet.
I'm a perfect example of what you're saying here. I got the 2010 V6 4.0 Premium (not 2011 3.7) for my wife and have spent about $4k on it. I can't justify spending another 5K on a supercharger, so we'll drive it until the new 2014 models come out. And hopefully the options will still include a V8.

But I still love the car and I get compliments all the time. Nothing like a shined up BLACK Mustang! But it doesn't go as fast as it looks! :-)

Last edited by kzonts; 06-21-2011 at 07:14 PM.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:20 AM
a_lopez1975
4th Gear Member

@BlackSmoke: I agree. I made a list (dream list that is, lol) of all the Mods that I would eventually add to the V6 if I were to get it and pretty much adds up to almost the same amount of the GT Premium I've been looking at (GT Premium/Manual, 400A package) when I first decided that I want a Mustang. This is will be my first Mustang purchase and sad to say I've never driven one before, so I will ask as much questions possible. Overall, this will be my reward car and I want to make sure that I'm extremely happy with my purchase. Again, thanks for you input.

@Pdonket: The leather for me a must and I was just looking at some youtube videos of the ambient lighting and they are awsome. As far as mileage is concerned, I go back to Germany where I'm stationed and my wife and I do alot of traveling. In this case, I was thinking about the V6 because of Gas and while driving to different countries, the U.S. dollar is nothing compared to the Euro. So this is one of the biggest factor why I leaning towards the V6. But then the otherside keeps telling me "POWER" so then I lean towards the V8. The pro's and con's idea is great, thanks. And Your Welcome ;0)

The color I'm looking at is Black Exterior with the Saddle leather interior.

Thanks
Old 06-22-2011, 04:55 AM
a_lopez1975
4th Gear Member

In my case, money will not be the issue. I don't have to worry about rent, food, ect for a whole year, plus since deployed, I don't have to pay state taxes. So each month I get paid, the money will not get spent at all (my wife works as well and is very understanding how bad I want a Mustang). And as a Staff Sergeant I doing pretty well financially.

@Snakebite64: Well, the Shelby GT500 would be the perfect car for me, but it's a little out of my league for right now. I can probally afford it, but will end up living from check to check.

@Red07gt: Definately, and thanks!!!

@kzonts: I was looking at the super chargers as well and they are way expensive.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:59 AM
LostBoyz
4th Gear Member

Just so you know, there are some v6 owners that don't suffer regret. I've driven plenty of 500+hp cars and a lot slower cars. My car is a daily driver, so the v8 absolutely wasn't (and still isn't) worth it to me. 300hp is no slouch and a few cheap mods will give you a little more grunt if you want it. It's awesome having a car that is still faster than most, but will also get you 30mpg on a road trip. Is it worth it to get 25% worse gas mileage, pay $7-8k more, to be only marginally faster (on the street anyway), and have the sound of a v8? Maybe. As soon as you have someone faster than you then the mod bug might kick in. For me, I know I can't get that fast without dropping some serious cash and it helps me save money for other things, like a house (which is an actual investment unlike a car).

Not saying these other guys are wrong, just wanted to give a flipside.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:33 AM
a_lopez1975
4th Gear Member

@LostBoyz: And I appreciate the flip-side. I've taken everyone's thought into consideration and through out this year, I will do as much research as possible. However, I really wanted to thank everyone for this input and I'm really glad I joined this forum. Thanks Alot....
Old 06-22-2011, 05:46 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

I'm glad to see you got good advices from all sides...

Basically it comes down to those two factors:
1-If you're looking at that Mustang as a toy and a treat to yourself, GET THE V8.
2-If you want a cool car to commute, GET THE V6.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:02 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

o.k. since money is not a huge factor there is only one logical conclusion to your dilemma.

Actually there are two.

1. Get a used GT500 with low mi. (which you can get for the same price or lower than the 5.0 like I did)

2. Get the 5.0

I see NO reason for you to get the V6.
You want power, you want to mod, you dont have to worry a lot about cash.
Get the best bang for your buck on your mods in the future and have more modding room too. I am not wrong. Believe me padawan.
I am a Jedi. I know what I am talking about lol!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: V6 Premium with Performance Package question????