Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

2005 - 2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by Latemodel Restoration

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 06-22-2011, 12:01 PM   #1
BlueBellThunder
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 2010 Ford Mustang GT
Default Wheel vibration

My 2010 Mustang Gt has the wheel vibration. In Sept 2010 I had the tires road force balanced and it went away, however about a month ago the vibration came back, but not as bad, very minor but annoying on a car with 13000 miles. I took it to the dealer a few weeks ago to remove the rotor clips but still the same. Another dealer told me that the tires they put un the mustangs suffer from flatspotting. From what I've read about flatspotting is that it only lasts a few miles until the tires warm up. My commute is 20 miles one way, and the vibration doesn't go away. Any suggestions to tell the dealer next time I go in for service. Thanks.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
BlueBellThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 02:38 PM   #2
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2007 GT
Send a message via AIM to Nuke Send a message via Yahoo to Nuke Send a message via Skype™ to Nuke

If the RoadForce balance isn't detecting the problem then I question the wheels and tires. I know that quite a few 05 thru 10's have vibration issues beyond the wheels, tires and rotor clips that seems to have never been solved. Even my '07, with the RoadForce balance, isn't as silky smooth as I would hope for. My guess at this point is something in the drivetrain that is simply a chronic design issue that Ford won't admit to.

Flat spotting should dissipate after about 5-10 miles of driving or less as the tire compound warms up and the tire rounds out. Any remaining flat spot is a defect that the RoadForce balance would certainly pick-up.
07 GT Prem: Alloy, MT, 3.55's, Steeda CAI w/Brenspeed tunes, FRPP Stingers, 275/40/18 Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S on SVT Cobras (OE GT500's), 14" shorty, Wheelskin side scoops & qtr window louvers, A-H rear window louvers, SHR honeycomb blackout panel, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
06 V6: Legend Lime, Pony Package, 14" shorty, Sequentials, Hella Optilux Extreme XY fogs, Silverstars
Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:09 PM   #3
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Vehicle: 2007 Pony Package

How does the dot on the tire correlate to
the weights installed?

Got them lug nuts torqued to 100 Ft Lbs
or just the air gun torquing technique?

THIS is what the DEALER should have tested for....
Originally Posted by chronos View Post
You and that darn manual! If you like it so much, maybe you should marry it!
157dB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:43 AM   #4
BlueBellThunder
1st Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 157dB View Post
How does the dot on the tire correlate to
the weights installed?

Got them lug nuts torqued to 100 Ft Lbs
or just the air gun torquing technique?

THIS is what the DEALER should have tested for....
Thanks for the advice. Next time I go for service I'll ask them to do what you suggested and hope for the best. The shaking in the steering wheel is very minor, more just a little bit annoying, but before I had the road force balance the car felt unsafe to drive on the highway.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:13 PM   #5
BlueBellThunder
1st Gear Member

Default Long overdue update

I just bought new tires for my car last week, Cooper Zeon 18" all season. Before I got them the steering wheel shake came back, not to bad but noticeable. When I got the new tires it did improve the shaking a lot but it's sometimes there sometimes not. I only notice it at speeds above 60 and with my current commute I usually cant go past 55. To many money hungry cops in the towns I drive through. Tomorrow I'm going on a week long road trip so I cant have the car looked at until I get home. The shaking is very minor, I can only see it if I let go of the steering wheel, and when I let go it tracks perfectly strait. Today running some errands my driving was mixed highway and city. On one road I got up to about 75, smooth as silk. Then on other roads driving as slow as 55 if I took my hands off the wheel I would notice the shake, it is a very miniscule shake but it is bugging me. The car has 31000 miles on it, so I hope it doesn't need an expensive repair. There is no warranty on the car since it is 5 years old. When I first encountered this issue a couple of years ago the shaking was pretty bad until I had the road force balance, the current shaking is nowhere near as bad, so I have complete confidence taking it on a 2500 mile road trip.

Thanks in advance for all your advice.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:02 PM   #6
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: early 2000, 1991, 2008

I believe the shaking is normal. My 2008. Does it too. It might just be the road isn't smooth and the car is just giving you feedback.

1991 2.3L I4
2000 3.8L V6
2008 4.6L V8
PNYXPRESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:19 PM   #7
BlueBellThunder
1st Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS View Post
I believe the shaking is normal. My 2008. Does it too. It might just be the road isn't smooth and the car is just giving you feedback.
You're actually the first person who has said its normal. I also think it might be, because when I first had the shake it was very noticeable. Before I replaced my tires it was bad, now it's either very mild shaking or none at all. I read somewhere that tires need to be broken in for a couple of hundred miles, although I'm not sure I believe that. I've driven less than 100 miles on the new tires so far. I'll definitely know tomorrow, I'll be driving from NJ to Chicago.

I'll post an update tomorrow night when I get to my hotel.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:01 PM   #8
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2010 4.6 gt with red leather

tyre flat spotting takes longer to go away than u think..mine can take 1 hour

get your toe checked

uneven road can do it..

i rekon even motor vibration has something to do with it aswell..
Old 09-04-2014, 07:51 AM   #9
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2012 BOSS 302
2012_CO_BOSS_302

Does it do it even when the rims/tires are rotated front to rear?

2012 BOSS 302
Competiton Orange/Black

1 of 67 (Car Cover, Floor Mats, No Recaros)
#0614 of 1066 (Overall)

20x9 & 20x11 Gloss Black Forgrstar F14's l 255/35/20 & 305/30/20 Pirelli P-Zero Tires l Eibach Sportlines l BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar l Shorty Antenna (AntennaX.com) l Sound Pipe Delete (CoolTechLLC.com)
05 Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 08:02 AM   #10
jsimmonstx
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2012 V6 Coupe

Have your toe checked. DO NOT do it at a Ford dealer. Go to Firestone or Goodyear. I paid fort the Firestone lifetime alignment two years ago, and have been back twice for toe adjustment (because of mods I performed). I didn't pay anything for alignment services since the initial payment (I think it was $169 or something like that).

My 2012 427w Shelby Tribute
jsimmonstx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 08:02 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2005, 2010, 2010ford, 2011, gt, mustang, mustange, problems, shake, tire, tremble, vibrate, vibration, wheel