Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Had to add a 6 point roll cage to the convertible

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 01:10 AM
strawberrycandiez88

Nice work!!
Old 11-06-2011, 07:51 AM
JimC

Thanks, Bobby (the fabricator) really does some great work. If I find the pictures of the other cage he did I'll post them up. He did two different versions and it was simply we both had different ideas on what we wanted, and different ideas on the swing outs. After driving the other car yesterday now I wish I would have spent the extra money and gone with his swing outs.

Bobby has some other things that he has done. He came up with a good way to brace the rear end for drag racing - with the convertible we have extra bracing in back and all of the aftermarket kits won't fit without taking off the bracing (something I don't want to try) so he developed a different method that he adapted from what he does for rock crawlers.
Old 11-06-2011, 02:07 PM
Javdog
3rd Gear Member

Great work on the cage I love that it can be easly removed, I would love to see the swing out version since I do use the back seat from time to time. I remember seeing the swing out version somewhere nut I cant remember where I saw it, If you dont mind me asking what was the cost of the cage and install, you can P.M if you dont want to post the price
Old 11-06-2011, 07:24 PM
JimC

You have a PM Javdog!

If anyone wants Bobby's contact information let me know. I can PM you the details.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:53 PM
JimC

I have some pictures for comparison of the other 6 point cage that Bobby did. This one is not as easy to remove, although it is a bolt in. So the owner opted to make the harness bar removable.

His car on the left and mine on the right, our back bars are different because of the difference in the main hoop (some of my car are before the stripe was painted)

Front mount for the swing out door bar

(can't find just the foot for mine right now)

And a shot of us racing at a private track rental, since we had our 6 points they let us run with the top down.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:11 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Bobby does some awesomely nice work. Wish he wasn't halfway across to country, or he'd probably be working on version 3.0
Old 11-07-2011, 07:57 PM
Javdog
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for posting the pictures, now I have a better idea of what to do, i just want to be able to use the back seat since its my D.D. I love that they allowed you guys to race with the tops down i bet that was alot of fun
Old 11-08-2011, 01:20 AM
2011V6Conv
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
So the owner opted to make the harness bar removable.
I recall seeing somewhere that if the bar is removable, the cage is not "legal" or "certified" for tracks. Did I get it wrong?
Old 11-08-2011, 06:16 AM
JimC

You are correct on the harness bar - so far he hasn't run into a problem with tech inspection, but that has been on test and tune days. For some events that are sanctioned, he may run into a problem with tech or another racer reporting his bar.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:01 AM
timmbo
3rd Gear Member

Nice. What does a cage like that cost approximately?

Quick Reply: Had to add a 6 point roll cage to the convertible