Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 Idle issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 05:47 PM
jmc328

Default 2011 Idle issues

This might have already been discussed on here but i couldnt find it so hear goes. I have a 2011 GT/CS. About 6 months in i started to have idle issues. While stopped at a light for a while itll go from around 750 RPM to 500 or below. When it gets low it starts to bog down and act like its going to die. It has died twice when it sits for a extended period of time. Once while my wife was in it while i was in a store and once at the car wash. Took it to the dealer and they said they found nothing wrong and no codes and have never heard of this issue before and according to them never got it to do it while they had it but 5 minutes away it did it to me again. They did however update the computer and said that should fix it. It didnt. I havent done anything to it other than put a muffler delete kit on it (sounds awesome). Anyway just wondering if anyone has heard of this or knows why it could be doing this.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:36 PM
Joemustang07

Default Same Issue

I have the exact same car with the exact same issue. did you ever figure out what the problem was and how to fix it?

Originally Posted by jmc328
This might have already been discussed on here but i couldnt find it so hear goes. I have a 2011 GT/CS. About 6 months in i started to have idle issues. While stopped at a light for a while itll go from around 750 RPM to 500 or below. When it gets low it starts to bog down and act like its going to die. It has died twice when it sits for a extended period of time. Once while my wife was in it while i was in a store and once at the car wash. Took it to the dealer and they said they found nothing wrong and no codes and have never heard of this issue before and according to them never got it to do it while they had it but 5 minutes away it did it to me again. They did however update the computer and said that should fix it. It didnt. I havent done anything to it other than put a muffler delete kit on it (sounds awesome). Anyway just wondering if anyone has heard of this or knows why it could be doing this.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:51 PM
replica
4th Gear Member

Same issue on my 2012. The idle hops around. Never died. But just little hops, enough to see the needle move and feel.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:08 PM
Joemustang07

I just bought the car last month, new. I immediately noticed the rough idle, but figured it was because of the high compression (11:1). Then today when i was sitting at a red light, the RPMs were bouncing like always and then it just died. It started right up with no problem, but it shouldn't die. If it was an older car with a carb, I would bump up the idle and the problem would go away.....however???

Originally Posted by replica
Same issue on my 2012. The idle hops around. Never died. But just little hops, enough to see the needle move and feel.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:35 PM
jmc328

Like I said. I took it to the dealership and they reflashed the computer. It still idles rough sometimes but hasn't died since. Also every other fill up I put premium gas in it and that seems to help a little
Old 04-30-2012, 09:55 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by Joemustang07
I have the exact same car with the exact same issue...
Originally Posted by replica
Same issue on my 2012. The idle hops around. Never died...
Morning Joemustang07 & replica,

If you have not done so, visit your local Ford dealer. The service department will diagnose and repair the concern. You can also send me a PM with your contact information, dealer name/state, approximate mileage, and VIN. I’ll escalate the concern to the Customer Service Manager for your area.

Like I said. I took it to the dealership and they reflashed the computer. It still idles rough sometimes but hasn't died since...
Hey jmc328,

Have you considered contacting the dealer again? Give them another visit, and PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can get this escalated to the Customer Service Manager for your area.

Noemi
Old 05-01-2012, 10:45 PM
Joemustang07

Thanks for the info, I took it to Ford today and after an hour of them playing my car and the computer, it seams to be fixed. However, I have to tell you that I think you are wasting you money putting premium gas in(unless you live at a high altitude). I have been a Mechanic in the Air Force for several years and spent four of them teaching Gas and Diesel engines to include computer diagnostics. The grade of fuel wouldn't cause what was going on with our cars. 1st the owners manual calls for 87. And second if you were using too low of a fuel grade, you would get pre-ignition or engine knock, not idle surging. Just my 2 cents, take it or leave it....either way, thanks for getting back to me!!!

Like I said. I took it to the dealership and they reflashed the computer. It still idles rough sometimes but hasn't died since. Also every other fill up I put premium gas in it and that seems to help a little
Old 05-01-2012, 10:48 PM
Joemustang07

Thank you all for your replies and input...that is what makes these fourms great!!! I took my car to the dealership where I purchased it and they reprogramed the computer....so far so good, I will watch and see what happens.....thanks again!!!

Originally Posted by FordCustomerService
Morning Joemustang07 & replica,

If you have not done so, visit your local Ford dealer. The service department will diagnose and repair the concern. You can also send me a PM with your contact information, dealer name/state, approximate mileage, and VIN. I’ll escalate the concern to the Customer Service Manager for your area.

Hey jmc328,

Have you considered contacting the dealer again? Give them another visit, and PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can get this escalated to the Customer Service Manager for your area.

Noemi