Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Change Due Soon, JUST bought new '09 GT: AMSoil worth it/recommended!?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 08:16 AM
MAXIMUS-GT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Since you seem to be able to afford it AND you're like most of us (A-N-A-L), then join Amsoil's Preferred Member club (the discounts you get will more than pay for the membership) and begin ordering. It seems that's what you want anyway.
Over 11,000 posts, and taking the time to help me: Priceless

You're so right, and I suppose it seems obvious from my posts thus far in this forum that I am just unhappy if I feel as though I'm leaving any stone unturned when it comes to caring for my new car. My GT isn't a daily drive by ANY MEANS, and I'll be buying a custom fit cover from Summit Racing soon to have it covered all Winter Long and garaged. In fact, just last night, it was a GORGEOUS July 4th evening, I drove to a friends house, and multiple people there asked me "So, did you bring your car!?" I didn't, in stead, I drove my Jeep. My reasoning? I HATE putting miles on it, and I truly baby the car to the best of my ability, although due to the fact I'm 'able to afford it,' I haven't had a chance to detail it and I've owned it for a week and a half! YIKES.

All work and 'some' play, just isn't enough. But... without the 'all work,' I would have the Maximus-GT, OR the ability to splurge for the AMSoil!

I will join the membership club as soon as I decide to change the oil, should I buy this online, or through my local AMSoil rep that lives in my neighborhood?

*What products do you recommend? Fuel Cleaner, Transmission Fluid, Oil... etc? What products are 'needed' and what products are truly an up-selling waste? THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-05-2011, 08:43 AM
highline
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MAXIMUS-GT
and I'll be buying a custom fit cover from Summit Racing soon to have it covered all Winter Long
as a fellow CS owner, beware that some/most covers may not fit unless you go gt500 cover...different front end i guess...Have not tried myself but have heard this...Trying to save you some troubles...PICS
Old 07-05-2011, 10:32 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I use their motor oil (I use their ASM 0W20) and Ea oil filter. I haven't changed my tranny and rear axle fluids with Amsoil products yet but I expect to when I'm ready. I also use Amsoil products as my lawncare and marine pre-mix.

I bought the Preferred Customer membership on-line. I mail-order everything. But it's up to you to see what kind of discount your local rep gives you and if it balances out the S&H charges.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:43 AM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Ha, no one's going to like what I'm about to say, but here we go anyway.

I ran mobil 1 5w20 extended performance in my 05 GT. I changed the oil every 15k miles. Ran smooth up until I traded it in last week with 75k miles. Hell, that 4.6 made less noise than my current 5.0.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:49 PM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bmr4life
Ha, no one's going to like what I'm about to say, but here we go anyway.

I ran mobil 1 5w20 extended performance in my 05 GT. I changed the oil every 15k miles.
So what? Mobil 1 EP is guaranteed for 15,000 mile oil change intervals. It's a true synthetic and contains NO refined petroleum.

If you were doing 15,000 mile oil changes on regular Mobil 1 5W-20, I would have laughed at you and felt bad for the person that buys the used car you traded in.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:06 PM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

There are other advantages of using a true synthetic base stock lubricant like Amsoil and Red Line when only using it for a 5,000 mile change interval.

Many different formulations of Mobil 1, Pennzoil, and Motorcraft contain refined petroleum and conventional petroleum base stocks. The word "synthetic" has been misused on bottles of engine lubricants since the 1990's. You have no idea if you are buying pure true synthetic, refined petroleum, or a mix of both. Allow me to clarify this for you.

1. Mobil 1 EP 5W-20, 5W-30, 10W-30: 100% True synthetic
2. Mobil 1 Regular syn 5W-20, 5W-30, 10W-30: True synthetic/Refined petroleum mix
3. Mobil 1 Regular syn 0W-40, 5W-40, 5W-50, 15W-50: True synthetic
4. Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20, 5W-30, 10W-30: True synthetic/Refined petroleum mix
5. Pennzoil Ultra 5W-20, 5W-30, 10W-30: 100% Refined petroleum
6. Motorcraft Synthetic blend 5W-20, 5W-30, 10W-30: Conventional /True synthetic mix
7. Motorcraft Synthetic 5W-20, 5W-30, 10W-30: 100% Refined petroleum
8. Amsoil Signature Series 0W-20, 0W-30, 5W-30, 10W-30, 10W-40, 20W-50: 100% True synthetic
9. Amsoil XL Series 5W-20, 5W-30, 10W-30, 10W-40: True synthetic/Refined petroleum mix
10. Amsoil OE Series 5W-20, 5W-30, 10W-30: 100% Refined Petroleum
11. Red Line (all grades/series): 100% True Synthetic
12. Royal Purple (all grades/series): 100% True Synthetic

So what are the advantages of using a true synthetic base stock in your car, versus refined petroleum or conventional, even IF your oil change interval isn't 10,000 miles or more?

• Higher resistant to shearing (losing it's viscosity to a lighter grade)
  • Higher resistant to base stock oxidation (yes, liquids can rust too) - this is why they say, "This lubricant is good up to X,XXX miles and/or 12 months"
  • Boutique lubricants like Royal Purple, Amsoil, and Red Line will have higher levels of ZDDP (a major anti-wear additive)
  • Higher detergent additive concentration (TBN) - in most cases, but not always. Diesel HDEO lubricants also have high detergent and ZDDP (even though they can be a group III highly refined petroleum)
  • No impurities in the base stock means uniform molecular structure. Uniform molecules produce less friction, less heat, and more efficiency.
  • Far superior cold flow performance (thickens less during temperature drop versus comparable grade dino/conventional)
  • Lower NOACK Volatility: Less oil evaporation/burn off. Less oil coating the inside of your intake manifold, intake valves, and catch can (if you are using one).
If anyone is interested with my suggestion for the Ford 4.6L and 5.0L modular engines, click the link below. Read posts #30 and #31

Team Shelby - 10W-30 posts

Last edited by Unleashedbeast; 07-05-2011 at 01:46 PM.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:46 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Unleashedbeast
So what? Mobil 1 EP is guaranteed for 15,000 mile oil change intervals. It's a true synthetic and contains NO refined petroleum.

If you were doing 15,000 mile oil changes on regular Mobil 1 5W-20, I would have laughed at you and felt bad for the person that buys the used car you traded in.
People here usually swear by changing their oil every 3-5k even when running synthetics.

Also, that's for the break down.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:53 PM
MAXIMUS-GT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by highline
as a fellow CS owner, beware that some/most covers may not fit unless you go gt500 cover...different front end i guess...Have not tried myself but have heard this...Trying to save you some troubles...PICS
Thank you SO MUCH! I didn't think about or know this until now. There was a choice for the GT-500 custom fit... I guess I'll choose that one, maybe I should call and ask to get confirmation? I don't know what's different about the CS regarding the front end aside from the middle piece being black in stead of a solid painted piece, but I definitely don't want to spend the money and end up frustrated!

PS: As far as pictures, I have about four, but I've only owned it for a week and a half now, two week on Thursday I guess - so I haven't had a lot of time. I did snap a great picture in the mountains of Virginia on the drive home! I still need to do a complete detail on it, stupid work haha! I work to pay for my new beauty, but I can't enjoy it if I'm working all the time
Old 07-05-2011, 02:57 PM
MAXIMUS-GT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
I use their motor oil (I use their ASM 0W20) and Ea oil filter. I haven't changed my tranny and rear axle fluids with Amsoil products yet but I expect to when I'm ready. I also use Amsoil products as my lawncare and marine pre-mix.

I bought the Preferred Customer membership on-line. I mail-order everything. But it's up to you to see what kind of discount your local rep gives you and if it balances out the S&H charges.
Great idea, this is definitely on my to-do list. Maximus only has SLIGHTLY over 7,000 miles, I put 600 hundred on during the past week with driving home from out of state when purchasing it and taking it to friends houses on nice days, so I bought it with very low miles. Now that everyone has seen it, I really don't want to drive it except on days off from work, and beautiful weekend days. I'll be storing it in October, so there will be time to switch out for AMSoil before then

Originally Posted by Bmr4life
People here usually swear by changing their oil every 3-5k even when running synthetics.

Also, that's for the break down.
Yes, thank you very much, that was a great detailed post!
Old 11-28-2011, 11:07 AM
jtfrog
2nd Gear Member

Just bought an 07 gt with 11,700 mi. When can I switch to synthetic

Quick Reply: Oil Change Due Soon, JUST bought new '09 GT: AMSoil worth it/recommended!?