Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about Mid Mufflers?

Old 07-01-2011, 01:27 PM
rdiaz89
2nd Gear Member

Default Question about Mid Mufflers?

Hello everyone i have a question about mid mufflers, my question is if i just buy the mufflers itself and weld on to the STOCK piping, would it be about the same as say i buy the whole pypes mid muffler including all the piping? My question is the aftermarket piping that much better than stock? and what are my options as far as straight through mufflers i can install before the axle? and which sound best? thank you
Old 07-01-2011, 05:50 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

I have M80's welded into the stock over axle pipe before the rear end.
the M80's cost $90 for the pair from Jegs or Summit.
i already had MBRP muffler deletes so i just went with the M80's.
i think if you have them welded in, it will fit better than the Pypes system.
you can also go with Borla stingers, magnapacks, or dynomax race bullets

and now the video..............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrfrnwggL1s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYhMy839dxQ&NR=1
Old 07-01-2011, 06:21 PM
TruMac
2nd Gear Member

That seems to be a route a lot of people are taking now. M80s welded into the stock piping and new tips at the rear. The videos have all sounded pretty good in my opinion. The biggest advantage I see with replacing the stock piping is that the pypes system is slightly larger in diameter, 2.5" instead of 2.25 if I'm not mistaken. Have the fitment issues with the pypes cat back been resolved or are people still having to cut and relocate hangers?
Old 07-01-2011, 08:58 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

stock piping is 2.5" same as the Pypes.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:32 PM
degeze
5th Gear Member

As onederful100 stated there are many options for a straight through muffler, I chose Borla. I kept the stock piping and welded in the Borla Stingers before the axle to give more tailpipe after the axle for the sound to resonate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ax6e2H38lvo
Old 07-03-2011, 11:15 PM
908ssp
3rd Gear Member

I am pretty pleased with the sound of the pipes Super System. There just isn't much clearance for mid mounted mufflers. I got on it and they hit the gas tank. I'll have to think about putting some extra supports or something to help. The 2010 doesn't come with the supports under the transmission maybe adding those or adding a set farther back would help.

Old 07-04-2011, 10:13 AM
TruMac
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by onederful100
stock piping is 2.5" same as the Pypes.
Yeah I thought I was in the v6 forum. Disregard.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:12 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

My car was so freaking loud I too welded pypes m80s before the over axle pipe. I have flows out the back. Everything I have read about the mid muffler kit is it doesn't fit well at all.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:10 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 908ssp
I am pretty pleased with the sound of the pipes Super System. There just isn't much clearance for mid mounted mufflers. I got on it and they hit the gas tank. I'll have to think about putting some extra supports or something to help. The 2010 doesn't come with the supports under the transmission maybe adding those or adding a set farther back would help.
If you're going to add any supports, put a lot of thought into it. The closer to the engine you put them, the greater the effects from the engine torque reaction/rotation and thermal expansion will be and the more difficulty you'll run into between there and the engine. Stainless steel expands about half again as fast as plain carbon steel, so I'd plan on having to allow plenty of rearward pipe movement at any new hanger(s).

I'm guessing that it's only the driver side pipe that hits under heavy throttle, so you might be able to get away with adding just one hanger on that side for this situation.

If you're getting contact when driving over rough roads (from the mid mufflers weighing more than the pipe that they replace, plus the extra flexibility at what I assume are clamp connections at the ends), you might need a softish support on the passenger side as well. Not too stiff or else the passenger side pipe will pivot about the new hanger on WOT and will then move up toward the tank.

An "over-restrained" piping system is likely to be just as problematic for automobile exhaust as it would be for power plant steam piping, the main difference being that the exhaust system failure mode wouldn't be explosive in nature.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 07-05-2011 at 07:17 AM.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:50 AM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Here's what m80's do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xCNhvEG7N4

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question about Mid Mufflers?