Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford issues warning...

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 02:55 PM
Thrashard340
2nd Gear Member

Just pure speculation here. I wonder if their setting themselves up to minimize their exposure on the manual transmission issues? After all, they did say the reason is to protect the "production" components.

I've been shopping for a 5.0 lately, but this is getting ridiculous. Should I shop for a Camaro instead?
Old 07-05-2011, 02:59 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

If you do, buy an SS not a V6... All I see around here are a bunch of V6 camaros around here :P
Old 07-05-2011, 03:53 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

What is your problem with the Mustang?
Old 07-05-2011, 04:02 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by Thrashard340
Just pure speculation here. I wonder if their setting themselves up to minimize their exposure on the manual transmission issues? After all, they did say the reason is to protect the "production" components.

I've been shopping for a 5.0 lately, but this is getting ridiculous. Should I shop for a Camaro instead?

Just an FYI. The new Camaro has had its share of tranny problems as well.
And I bet ya they are the same way when it comes to mods.

Either you mod a little, and you use the law if they give you probs, or you mod alot and dont count on warranty help. OR you buy your mods from the company (including Ford) that says they are covered under warranty. Such as a FRPP CAI and tune or a supergharger setup from FRRP that does not void the warranty. Only certain ones they have will not void it. Some HP levels will still void it according to Ford.

When you mod you take some risks. But if you know how to use the law act you can stay out of trouble and if a dealership still refuses just go find one that does not.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:13 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Thrashard340

If something breaks on the Mustang and you haven't modded the motor to the point that you can't reverse it and take it into the dealer, all of your issues will be taken care of. That will not change between any of the manufacturers. If you mod the Camaro's motor and shell it, you can bet Chevy isn't going to cover it either.

Last edited by 92hatchLX; 07-05-2011 at 04:20 PM.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:31 PM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

This TSB was released due to the failure of #8 cylinder after poor PCM calibrations from some tuners in the business. Seems they were disabling or reducing the sensitivity of the knock sensors. Since #8 is the farthest away from the sensors, the piston is destroyed before the sensor can detect excessive detonation.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:44 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 92hatchLX
It is the same way that it has always been! Why the **** are people freaking out about this??? If you modify ANY vehicle under warranty, and the manufacturer can prove that what you changed caused the failure, you're ****ed. This is common sense people. What aren't we getting? It would be nice if Ford would pay for engine repairs that were not at their fault, but in all honesty I would be the same way if I owned Ford. If you can't afford to replace the motor, don't mess with it.
No disagreement on the part about if the mod actually caused OEM parts failures.

But this TSB is written in such a way to give the dealership the excuse to wrongfully "initiate warranty cancellation" without even having to lift a finger to actually look to see if the mod is indeed the cause of the failure.

Basically, this TSB is written to make it sound like the aftermarket parts are ALWAYS the cause without any chance of having your car looked at to see if they truly are,
It seems like that they have taken a stance that you are guilty until proven innocent.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:44 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

...initiate warranty cancellation process....ok, now....
Old 07-05-2011, 05:04 PM
Snakebite64
4th Gear Member

Simple solution, instead of modding just wait for the latest/greatest new model as they tend to bump up the hp
Old 07-05-2011, 05:25 PM
TruMac
2nd Gear Member

They can have all the internal policies they want, it doesn't change the fact that the MM act is still there to protect the consumer. Also, as others have said, this really is nothing new. It has always been mod caused issue>no warranty work, mod didn't cause issue>warranty. They can't just cancel the warranty all together anyway, just not cover the specific problem caused by the mod, as far as I understand it.

Quick Reply: Ford issues warning...