Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fun with my new GoPro and the mustang

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 02:58 PM
kput
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by candymanjl
Ha ha, a little into the video there's a gray 335i that had some mods. I followed him for a while and we got to a point where traffic opened a little but he didn't bite.

I was gonna really open it up at some point and share that at normal speed but there was just too much traffic. I'll have to make another video at some point on the highway when there's not a lot of traffic.
I'd definitely like to see that.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:27 PM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bmr4life
Thanks, I was going to ask if it was a magnet or suction cup. Must hold fairly tight. Nice video.
Originally Posted by MeanStang08
I don't know what kind he has, but my chasecam has 3 - 65lb suction cups.. @ like 3lbs (and a tether)

they are awesome.. what kind do you have candymanjl?
GoPro has the "HD Hero" motorsports package, comes with a bunch of mounts including the suction cup mount, lots of stuff for the money. I feel pretty safe with the suction cup mount, you press it on and then there's a lever that locks it. It would take a lot of force to take it off. Way more force than wind blowing on a little camera.

http://gopro.com/cameras/hd-motorsports-hero-camera/

Originally Posted by kput
I'd definitely like to see that.
I'll have to play around on the highway, take some more footage. My roommate just turbo'd his S2000, 450whp on a dyno dynamics which read low like a mustang dyno. At some point we'll run each other We took some video of his car the other day...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dv7UvtMOWpU
Old 07-12-2011, 07:51 PM
MeanStang08
ChopShop Mod-tator

man.. I knew I shoulda waited like 2 months before I bought camera.. those Gopros just came out after I got it.. thats pretty sweet deal... and great vids man.. diggin those tunnel shots too.. pretty cool..
Old 07-12-2011, 10:00 PM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

I got lucky, almost bought one right before they came out with the new version, just worked out.

The GoPro is pretty good as a still camera too, as long as you want a fisheye look, takes 5mp shots. Only drawback I've noticed is that it wants a good amount of light to look it's best.

I have a full size HD camera that's better in the dark but it's bigger and more expensive and I don't think I'd suction cup it outside the car at 130mph, ha ha
Old 07-13-2011, 03:47 AM
Cobra Drifter
4th Gear Member

I always want to know: vented door or sealed door used and the mount locations. Im still learing my Motorsports HD version and yea one thing that is missing is a tether. These cameras are not cheap and I'd like some insurance that if it does come off that it wont go crashing to the street and get run over by a big rig lol
Old 07-13-2011, 02:12 PM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

lol, I know what you mean. When the camera was on the door I keep looking for it once in a while to make sure it was there, ha ha. My buddy used to road race his motorcycle and the only time he had his GoPro come off of the suction cup mount was when he wrecked so I guess it's good, lol.

I used the solid door on it in the mustang and S2000 videos. They suggest the vented door for under 100mph, sealed for over 100mph. In my experience it just depends where the camera is as to how well it will sound.

In direct wind (like the side mount view) over 50-60 the wind noise gets annoying, I had to use a lot of EQ in the video to make it work. But the rear trunk on the S2000 video worked pretty well. I'm guessing a bulk of the air was directed up and over the camera so it was less turbulent. 120mph on the trunk sounds like 70mph on the side.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:48 PM
Cobra Drifter
4th Gear Member

Thanks! Thats what I was thinking that direct wind and you need to go solid door lower then the suggested mph.

I need to make some "test" videos this weekend :look:
Old 07-16-2011, 10:14 AM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

Ha ha, definitely make some "test" videos Try it with the vented and solid doors, see what you get. On the outside of vehicles it seems that the solid is best.

Got the LCD screen on the way. Got tired of guessing on what the shot looked like. A friend of mine has one and he said that it makes changing settings way easier, that'll be nice.