Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roush R2300 vs Ford Racing Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 04:16 PM
SON OF 68
2nd Gear Member

Not a lot of people talk about the Edelbrock E-Force. What's the low down on that one? Seems more comparable to the R2300 than the Whipple. Reading about it, it seems to have some good design ideas.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:55 PM
BIGPHIL
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by SON OF 68
Not a lot of people talk about the Edelbrock E-Force. What's the low down on that one? Seems more comparable to the R2300 than the Whipple. Reading about it, it seems to have some good design ideas.
The low down...its the best **** since sliced bread! ;-) It has the most efficient air flow path outta any of the newer designs. Also, MOST of the new positive displacement superchargers are very close in what they give you, performance wise (with displacement per rev being as close as possible to each other). It really comes down to personal preference for looks, price, company, etc. The E-Force and Roush R2300 use the same rotor pack (2.3L Eaton TVS). Magnuson has also developed a new TVS system for the Mustang which looks pretty sweet too. Those three would be the closest comparison as they are all roots type blowers. The twin-screw superchargers are also just as bad *** (Whipple, Kenne Bell) and again...I would be looking for the best deal on any one of those kits.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:22 PM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

The magnuson is 1.9L I believe, so its a smaller blower
Old 07-19-2011, 12:43 AM
SON OF 68
2nd Gear Member

I've really liked what I have read about the Edelbrock. From what I understand everything is manufactured VERY well and it's a very complete kit, that is basically missing nothing. Also have read that the instructions are pretty top notch. This was a cool video I found. He has others for the other superchargers too... Video
Old 07-19-2011, 01:48 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

He's going to beef the drive shaft (Steeda aluminum), brakes, and clutch

Are there any simple (relatively) things that he can do to beef the engine to get a full 550hp? Cylinder heads, cams, ect?
Old 07-19-2011, 02:41 PM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Young_Gun
He's going to beef the drive shaft (Steeda aluminum), brakes, and clutch

Are there any simple (relatively) things that he can do to beef the engine to get a full 550hp? Cylinder heads, cams, ect?
NO, the bottom end is the weak point it WILL break at 550, you need forged internals(crank, rod, pistons,) to go 550 for the last time.....
Old 07-19-2011, 03:06 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mikes_BLK_GT
NO, the bottom end is the weak point it WILL break at 550, you need forged internals(crank, rod, pistons,) to go 550 for the last time.....
Okay, okay, okay

Someone said something about forging them himself? If he has the equipment to do that, about how hard is it to do? Would he need to remove the engine? Is there a guide somewhere?
Old 07-19-2011, 03:25 PM
BIGPHIL
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Young_Gun
Okay, okay, okay

Someone said something about forging them himself? If he has the equipment to do that, about how hard is it to do? Would he need to remove the engine? Is there a guide somewhere?
If he doesn't know if he has the right tools or how to take an engine apart and put it back together properly, then he needs to take it to a reputable shop to do the work or find somebody that has experience building engines to help him. That is not a "do it yourself" job and takes experienced people to do it correctly...enough said.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:32 AM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Supercharging the 4.6L engine will hit another brick wall, even with forged internals. It's called belt slip. As you increase boost by decreasing pulley size, you lose belt contact area on the pulley. With only 6 ribs, it's not enough surface area to prevent belt slip at higher rpm. I'm unsure if the Edlebrock setup allows for an upgraded 8 rib setup yet. I know twin screw setups do.

One last thought on the TVS (Roush) versus twin screw (FRPP Whipple), a TVS will have a much better torque curve, and improved low torque versus a twin screw. You will always notice that the TVS blower will have stronger torque numbers versus a comparable setup with a twin screw. The TVS design closed the efficiency gap between the older roots blower and a twin screw.

The GT500 has highlighted this difference. Both cars below are 2011 GT500, but one with a Eaton 2300 2.3L TVS, the other with a Whipple 2.9L twin screw

Examples:

TVS car 655 rwhp/648 rwtq - 17 PSI (VMP tuned)

TS car 640 rwhp/600 rwtq - 17.75 PSI (Ford tuned)

You can squeeze more power from the TS car with the Ford tune, but you will never have a square HP/TQ number like you will with a TVS car. This is why I prefer a TVS on a GT500 more than a twin screw. Unless you are going to boost more than 18 PSI (TS rules above 18 PSI), the TVS is one hell of a street blower.

Last edited by Unleashedbeast; 07-20-2011 at 11:44 AM.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:45 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Unleashedbeast
Supercharging the 4.6L engine will hit another brick wall, even with forged internals. It's called belt slip. As you increase boost by decreasing pulley size, you lose belt contact area on the pulley. With only 6 ribs, it's not enough surface area to prevent belt slip at higher rpm. I'm unsure if the Edlebrock setup allows for an upgraded 8 rib setup yet. I know twin screw setups do.

One last thought on the TVS (Roush) versus twin screw (FRPP Whipple), a TVS will have a much better torque curve, and improved low torque versus a twin screw. You will always notice that the TVS blower will have stronger torque numbers versus a comparable setup with a twin screw. The TVS design closed the efficiency gap between the older roots blower and a twin screw.

The GT500 has highlighted this difference. Both cars below are 2011 GT500, but one with a Eaton 2300 2.3L TVS, the other with a Whipple 2.9L twin screw

Examples:

TVS car 655 rwhp/648 rwtq - 17 PSI (VMP tuned)

TS car 640 rwhp/600 rwtq - 17.75 PSI (Ford tuned)

You can squeeze more power from the TS car with the Ford tune, but you will never have a square HP/TQ number like you will with a TVS car. This is why I prefer a TVS on a GT500 more than a twin screw. Unless you are going to boost more than 18 PSI (TS rules above 18 PSI), the TVS is one hell of a street blower.
Well him and I race ricers only so I do think the Whipple will be fine. Hell, even my NA v6 kicks *** vs their little turbos. His (currently stock) GT's license plate looks like it says "Rice Killer"

Those fluctuations didn't look too bad - but - then again - I've never driven anything with a supercharger so I wouldn't know how it effects handling.

Quick Reply: Roush R2300 vs Ford Racing Supercharger