Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEW FORD FLIP KEY KEYLESS ENTRY REMOTE

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 11:48 AM
edcologne
2nd Gear Member

do you have one of "mine" shown above?

the older (middle in pic) one opened on me occasionally too, the newer (bottom of pic) one has a somewhat better design, but it may still happen.

that said i'm not sure why the release buttoms are not designed in a flush mounted way that should avoid this issue for good, maybe the next one...
Old 01-28-2012, 12:06 PM
Unclenard
1st Gear Member

I just got one of the newer style flip keys but I'm having problems finding a locksmith that will cut it. Tried Lowes and True Value Hardware first and they said they couldn't do it even if I took the key out of the remote. Most locksmiths are mobile now instead of having a shop. The couple of shops I called say they won't cut a key that they didn't sell me. This is frustrating. Looks like I may have to call a mobile locksmith and that will cost more than I would like just to get this thing cut.
Old 01-28-2012, 02:40 PM
Unclenard
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Unclenard
I just got one of the newer style flip keys but I'm having problems finding a locksmith that will cut it. Tried Lowes and True Value Hardware first and they said they couldn't do it even if I took the key out of the remote. Most locksmiths are mobile now instead of having a shop. The couple of shops I called say they won't cut a key that they didn't sell me. This is frustrating. Looks like I may have to call a mobile locksmith and that will cost more than I would like just to get this thing cut.
Ok finally found a place to get the key cut. Works perfectly. Before he cut the key he verified it had the correct chip in it. He said the Ford remotes he sells are $150. Already loving it.
Old 08-22-2016, 12:51 PM
edcologne
2nd Gear Member

ttt and back to square 2 i'd say.

I had a 2006 a while ago, got the flip key, all good and happy as one can see in my previous posts in this thread.

now I just got a 2009, ordered 2 flip keys from 2 different ebay vendors, cut the key blades, both work fine on the door lock/open remote level.

however, neither one will program to the ignition security chip.

pretty sure I follow the required steps:
- ignition on, then off w first previous key, kept ignition on for ~3 sec, lock icon stays on,
- ignition on, then off w second previous key, kept ignition on for ~3 sec, lock icon stays on,
- ignition on, then off w new key. kept ignition on for ~3 sec, lock icon keeps blinking,

anything i'm missing?
any pointers, suggestions?

Old 08-25-2016, 05:54 AM
MADSCOTSMAN
2nd Gear Member

Ok finally found a place to get the key cut. Works perfectly. Before he cut the key he verified it had the correct chip in it. He said the Ford remotes he sells are $150. Already loving it.

FWIW my local dealership has cut 2 of these for me now with no charge.