Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Pads and Rotors?

Old 08-01-2011, 10:55 PM
HT
5th Gear Member

Default Brake Pads and Rotors?

So, I just ordered some Hawk HPS pads...before I noticed the ceramic options they have. Will I be disappointed? Should I call in the morning and change them? Car is a daily driver, but I'm not really worried about sacrificing longevity for performance in the pads...but noise and brake dust need to be considered.

As far as rotors go, I'd like to replace them. I had Rotorpro rotors on my V6, and I had no complaints with them...but then again I've never had really expensive rotors. Are Rotorpro drilled and slotted a good option, or is there reason to splurge?

Thanks in advance. I'm gonna order/change orders in the morning, so timely responses would be appreciated.

Thanks,

HT
Old 08-01-2011, 11:04 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

I had read too many threads where the inexpensive rotors went fubar. I went with EBC slotted and dimpled rotors. Got them off amazon.com for a very good price and free shipping.
Attached Thumbnails Brake Pads and Rotors?-img_20101214_171750-1-.jpg   Brake Pads and Rotors?-img_20110319_182656-1-.jpg  
Old 08-01-2011, 11:11 PM
HT
5th Gear Member

Those look sick. I just have a lot of plans for the car, and this will set me back quite a ways. Not that this isn't more important, but since I don't really race...just spirited DD, I figured if I can skimp and still stay safe I would...but it does bother me.

I'm going to check those out now...there are just tons of options spanning all price ranges...I'm just trying to figure out where is the right price point...there has to be a point where it's too cheap...and a point where it's overkill for my application, I just don't know where that is.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:18 PM
parchisi
3rd Gear Member

You'll be fine with regular solid rotors, especially with a good pad like the HPS. I can't verify firsthand, but I've read alot that modern pads don't really outgas like they used to, so slotted and crossdrilled rotors aren't really needed, especially for a street driven machine. They do look cool though. I have the HP+ pads, the next step up from the HPS and they squeak like a **** when cold since I guess they're more geared towards track useage, but I think I've heard that the HPS pads are actually good on the street.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:22 PM
HT
5th Gear Member

Yeah, I like the drilled and slotted just for looks...even if they don't really add too much in terms of performance...with 20s...everything in there is really easily visible.

Like I said...I didn't have any issues with the Rotorpros last time, but I don't know what I'm really looking for since I've never tested high end rotors.

What does everyone think is the best price range to look at for rotors? I'm just trying to find a happy medium between too cheap and over the top.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:38 PM
HT
5th Gear Member

Asked for a price quote from Rotorpros and they responded within 7 minutes by email...pretty impressive.

They said $300 for all 4 rotors and pads (which I don't need). Last time I ordered, that didn't seem like a big deal, but that is so cheap compared to some other options...I mean, I spent $150 on pads alone already. Too cheap?
Old 08-02-2011, 07:39 AM
highline
4th Gear Member

wow, 300 is cheeper than anywhere I've seen...I think bren wants $4xx for them...link?
Old 08-02-2011, 10:06 AM
Alec
5th Gear Member

I think I'm one of the few who's not impressed with my Hawk pads... at all. Even my one mechanic said "they suck"
Old 08-02-2011, 10:09 AM
HT
5th Gear Member

I don't have a link. Go to Rotorpros.net and ask for a price quote. That's what I did both times, and it's been the same quote.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:31 AM
astentine
2nd Gear Member

I just upgraded my brake system on my six. I went with Powerstop slotted and drilled from Stage3Motorsports ($260 ish for all four I think). Those rotors are great, really! Look great and provide much better stopping power. As for the pads, I also bought the Hawk HPS pads. Only had them on for a few weeks, stopping power is increased, but as far as I can tell, there is a lot more dust on the front wheels than usual. Maybe it's since I haven't washed my car since, who knows. But I do think Hawk HPS gives off more dust than OEM

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake Pads and Rotors?