Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shaftmaster DS and BMR Loop Install

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 08:41 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Default Shaftmaster DS and BMR Loop Install

Well I finally got around to intalling these parts with my crew chief/race buddy (He's the real mechanic, I'm the rookie). Confidence is always higher when you got a skilled wrencher on your side.

I of course followed TacoBills DIY as he seems to have a write up for just about everything. I bought the direct bolt in DS and a BMR loop. Stocker came out real easy. My double resonator exhaust setup made it to where we could not slide out the stock DS out the back. But fortunately it did slide out the front with no issues. It woud have sucked to have to cut into the exhaust. Shaftmaster gives you a complete install kit including a 12 pt 10mm socket and some locktite which was nice since I was out of locktite. As I had read in somebodys post we did have to yank on the DS to get it to extend and get the bolts to line up. On one of the rear bolts we could not get the torque wrench on it and did not have any crows feet rachets, so we used a box wrech and a pipe to get it tight.

The BMR loop was quite simple to install. Take out two trans support bolts, slide in the bracket, reinstall the bolts. Torque was suppose to be 55 lbs, but that seemed too much. The factory had them set to about 40 lbs. Since that bracket is aluminum we tightend to 45 lbs. The loop is held up with two more bolts. With those tighened the loop sets perfectly around the new DS.

Got the car off the 4 jackstands and took it for a test drive. The first thing I noticed was the throttle seemed instant, no slack in the line at all. While driving, it felt very smooth. Even with enough throttle to light up the tires, everything felt very smooth. Roads were crowded so I only got up to 60 mph and again it just feels liquid smooth, not that I had a rough ride before either.

My next race is in two weeks so that will be the real test. One to 2 tenths improvement is what I keep reading and I will be very happy if thats the case with me too.

While under the car we checked my header collector bolts. Two of them were finger loose. Wow I wasnt expecting that. My manifold bolts have not loosened up at all but these did. Thats why I have a crew chief, he knows to check these things even if he is a GM guy, he races a Vette.

We did not check the pinion angle. I was told by shaftmaster if my car was at stock height it was not needed. I guess I will find out at the track when I get it over 100 mph. So far so good and I am liking this mod. I used the prize money from winning May's race to purchase this so that makes it that much more fun.
Attached Thumbnails Shaftmaster DS and BMR Loop Install-img_20110806_115653.jpg   Shaftmaster DS and BMR Loop Install-img_20110806_120520.jpg   Shaftmaster DS and BMR Loop Install-img_20110806_115826.jpg  
Old 08-07-2011, 03:13 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Sounds like a great mod for the auto trans, should compliment the 4.10s very well
Old 08-07-2011, 09:15 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

You will love that drive shaft, when I got mine it was night and day. Also the cabin in general got a lot quieter.
Old 08-07-2011, 02:17 PM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

good deal will be interested in the results at the track
Old 08-07-2011, 02:51 PM
GerRod
2nd Gear Member

Nice modes. I have both the Shaftmasters driveshaft and BMR DS loop. I noticed the throttle response was better and it spint the tires easier after the install.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:12 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Redfire and GerRod, yes and yes. Much quieter in the cabin, throttle response is immeadiate with no lag and the tires spin that much easier. All good IMO. Overall the car has such a smoother feel. I cant wait to race it and feel that difference at WOT. It should be faster, lets hope that is the case.

GerRod, are you in the 11's with your car? With your mods your either there or are damn close.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:47 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Default Update

Over 70 mph had big vibration issues. Could not fix it, am gonna send it back. Bummer.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:30 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Did you try calling Shaftmaster to see what they suggest?

Haven't heard of too many issues with the DS on the S197.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:30 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Sent him an email. We rotated it, we checked every bolt, it was installed perfectly twice with the same results. Just guessing but I think it was damaged during shipping. The box was beat up.
Old 12-26-2011, 11:39 AM
lawrencecar1
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 808muscle
Sent him an email. We rotated it, we checked every bolt, it was installed perfectly twice with the same results. Just guessing but I think it was damaged during shipping. The box was beat up.
So did you ever get a replacement or stayed with stock ??

Quick Reply: Shaftmaster DS and BMR Loop Install