Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NHTSA opens investigation into 11-12 6-speed woes

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 03:09 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 09CSGT
If they do announce a recall, it will be interesting to see what Ford does to solve the problem. Try and fix the current transmission or replace it with a different one, Tremec maybe.
i don't see them using a different tranny. i saw a thread somewhere the said the shift forks or something like that were made form cheap material, the same thread was a post by some performance company that was developing brass replacement parts for the tranny. I suspect ford just went a bit too cheap on the parts and the key to fixing will be nothing more than some new parts made from better material. that and i suspect as well that my issue is related to the actual pedal assembly. the lock out issue is too much like what happened on the early 11's for coincidence.

the lockout happened to me several times before I noticed the pedal was stuck, id wager a lot of people haven't noticed when they are locked out that the pedal isn't returning to fully released.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:54 PM
Jasoon
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 09CSGT
If they do announce a recall, it will be interesting to see what Ford does to solve the problem. Try and fix the current transmission or replace it with a different one, Tremec maybe.
Replace the transmission in 2+ years of cars... voluntarily? Not gonna happen.

They'll find the least expensive solution to pacify the government... leaving car owners with trannies held up by bandaids and bungie straps.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:54 AM
TheYeti
2nd Gear Member

Either way, I hope they get this fixed. I am planning on getting a 5.0 next year.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:57 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jasoon
Replace the transmission in 2+ years of cars... voluntarily? Not gonna happen.

They'll find the least expensive solution to pacify the government... leaving car owners with trannies held up by bandaids and bungie straps.
I here duct tape works well
Old 08-10-2011, 02:10 PM
09CSGT

The one I had, did the stick to the floor thing too many times and ate a clutch after only 10,000 miles. I did notice the hard shifting when I first bought it but chalked it up to me learning the new 6speed gear box. Like I said it will be interesting to see what Ford does.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:29 PM
corruptor

Originally Posted by ShaneM
i don't see them using a different tranny. i saw a thread somewhere the said the shift forks or something like that were made form cheap material, the same thread was a post by some performance company that was developing brass replacement parts for the tranny. I suspect ford just went a bit too cheap on the parts and the key to fixing will be nothing more than some new parts made from better material. that and i suspect as well that my issue is related to the actual pedal assembly. the lock out issue is too much like what happened on the early 11's for coincidence.

the lockout happened to me several times before I noticed the pedal was stuck, id wager a lot of people haven't noticed when they are locked out that the pedal isn't returning to fully released.
That's the problem though, everyone has so many different symptoms that I don't completely blame Ford for not having a definitive fix yet. My issue seems to be synchro related, because I get the 1->2 crunch/nibble unless the tranny is fully warmed after 15+ minutes of driving. I can double clutch 1->2 and 2nd then engages super smooth. Perhaps synthetic fluids are too slippery for this transmission.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:54 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by nmd55
my 6060 has the infamous 1/2 grind, so its not limited to you gt/boss guys only!
Ouch! Not good news either.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:07 AM
Xanthri

So I have a few questions, which may mean nothing. I only ask because I was in the market for a V-6 with 6 speed manual transmission and I have put my purchase on hold for the short term.

Are there anything common about the problems (IE Gearing, same pedal kits, ETC) that seem to have more problems than others?

Are there any solutions that those having problems have found that seem to quickly cure the problem?

Should I just hold off on ordering or buying a new mustang until there is more information?

Thanks for any replies.
Old 08-11-2011, 04:01 AM
L454S

Default Purchase

Just go drive one, if you like it, get it. The V6 does not have the skip shift feature. While you're there, drive an auto version also. I drove both.

Just went past 4000mi., my wife's daily driver. Seems these things get blown way out of proportion, but as with any car, there are some vehicles with legit issues. If you read all the internet car forums, you would be scared to buy anything.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:46 AM
09CSGT

Originally Posted by L454S
Just go drive one, if you like it, get it. The V6 does not have the skip shift feature. While you're there, drive an auto version also. I drove both.

Just went past 4000mi., my wife's daily driver. Seems these things get blown way out of proportion, but as with any car, there are some vehicles with legit issues. If you read all the internet car forums, you would be scared to buy anything.
I believe there are less problems with the V6 becuase it has less HP, IMO, I don't think the trans and clutch are rated high enough for the GT.

Quick Reply: NHTSA opens investigation into 11-12 6-speed woes