Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NHTSA opens investigation into 11-12 6-speed woes

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 11:30 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by gburke1
If that's true then Ford had to have known all along that this was going to end up being a problem... wonder what the heck they were thinking???

edit: I just read on another site that the MT-82 is the same transmission as the 6MTI500 that is listed on their website and rated at 369 lb/ft torque.

http://www.getrag.de/en/235
That one is actually used in the Transit vans. It is not quite the same as the Mustang MT82.
I believe this one in this link has a very very deep 1st gear, something like 5.60:1 1st gear ratio. The Mustang MT82 has a much shallower first gear, only 3.66:1 1st gear ratio. I believe there re some other upgrades to make it withstand up to the rated 380 ft-lbf from crank torque.

If I had my choice, I would use the proven TR6060, or its aftermarket brother, the T56 Magnum. True, the TR6060 has had its fair share of problems, but it is a proven transmission and has been refined in its current incarnations over the years.
The Mustang MT82 is literally brand new, probably upgraded and modified almost to the point that only the shell is the same as the SUV version of the MT82. This means the newer brother of the SUV MT82 must go through its development and improvement woes where the TR6060 has already gone through most of that to hammer out bugs.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:17 AM
LostBoyz
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 11STANG
its about time somebodys checking into this,my car vibrates like hell at about2,700 on decelaration,since it was new
That's normal, things resonate then vibrate.

@Jim, they tune engines to certain torque ratings for a lot of reasons, and nobody builds cars that have a torque limit equal to what the car makes, especially one that is commonly modified to make more. So I don't know where you heard the numbers, but I am very skeptical of their truth.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:53 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by 11STANG
its about time somebodys checking into this,my car vibrates like hell at about2,700 on decelaration,since it was new
Hi 11STANG,

Since you are concerned about your level of vibration, you may want to bring your Mustang to the dealer to verify everything is functioning correctly. They will be able to ease your worries, and I am also here if you need any assistance!

~Natasha
Old 09-15-2011, 02:49 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Ugh so many off topic posts in this thread...

Skip-shift - UNRELATED and defeatable with a tune. I believe some C5/C6 vettes also have this for fuel saving so give it a rest.

Vibration at a certain RPM - UNRELATED, something is not balanced correctly or is loose.

Tranny issues with shifting - 6MT - I've heard it rumored early on that the problems stem from metals that are too soft (for the high TQ) being used in the synchros.

Off Topic:
This type of problem is not just a Ford issue. Camaro SS models were busting tranny tail shafts from the factory because of the power in those cars. That was fixed.

Vette (Early C6 models) were known to bust half shafts under "spirited" driving on street tires. Neighbor has one and told me about it. I don't know if that was a factory fix or not.

I think i'll be pushing my purchase of a new stang out about another year or so....
Old 09-15-2011, 04:50 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by LostBoyz
@Jim, they tune engines to certain torque ratings for a lot of reasons, and nobody builds cars that have a torque limit equal to what the car makes, especially one that is commonly modified to make more. So I don't know where you heard the numbers, but I am very skeptical of their truth.
My numbers are not published by anyone. Nor do I claim to have any source that does. But my info comes from when a mag interviewed the engine engineers about the Coyote 5.0L.
In the interviews, they said the torque spec of the Mustang MT82. Of course, with a rating of 380ft-lbf crank torque, you do not want to exceed that too much, so going above 400ft-lbf crank torque would not have been wise. For was only willing to have the Coyote pump out 390 ft-lbf at the crank.

And I bet any tranny failures being brought in for warranty work will prompt the dealership to ask if tunes and mods were on the engine. If so, and you broke the tranny with say over 425 ft-lbf wheel torque (this is climbing towards above 450 ft-lbf at the crank), they would have valid ground to deny warranty service because the tune and mods indeed are the fault of the tranny failure.

Unfortunately, I have nothing to placate your incredulity. Search the internet all you want, but you will not find the Mustang MT82 torque spec anywhere at all. It just simply does not exist.
The only source where you will find the Mustang MT82 has the 380ft-lbf crank torque spec is only from the interviews with the actual Ford engine engineers.

And as such, more to fuel a conspiracy theory which is brewing in my own mind, I seriously doubt that Ford, Getrag, or anywhere else will ever publish the specs for the Mustang MT82. My paranoid mind is of the thought that Ford purposely wants you to not know the designed specs so when something breaks, they can deny warranty service left and right and not have to have a good explanation why. Kind of like hiding behind the "Its a company secret" for their own purposes.
And it is not only Ford doing this. GM, Chrysler, and even all the import cars do this too.