Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remote Start and the car shutting off when you open the door?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 08:52 AM
tightdogal
5th Gear Member

Default Remote Start and the car shutting off when you open the door?

Hey, so with the Mustang I just bought, it has the remote start feature. It's pretty cool. However, what's the point of using it if when you open the door, it just shuts back off. Kinda annoying. Is there any way to use MyKey to easily delete that "open door=car shuts off" thing? I just want it to stay on until you actually put the key in the ignition.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:27 AM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

I don't have an answer for your question, but I agree, that is pretty stupid. What (besides warming/cooling the car for a few seconds) is the point of a remote start that just turns itself off?
Old 08-10-2011, 09:44 AM
tightdogal
5th Gear Member

Yeah they have it set to where you use the remote start and have to run in the car and put the key in within 5 seconds of turning on the car. Kinda makes it all pointless to me. If that worked properly, I'd be like . Especially for the wintertime. I can start the car in that's in my garage from my kitchen or my bedroom and be nice and warm by the time I drive out to work in the morning.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:15 AM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

5 seconds? That is ridiculous. Here I am, thinking, "Oh hey, wouldn't it be nice if I could start my car a few minutes before my shift is over so it can cool down before I get in?"

5 seconds isn't even enough time for my AC to turn on.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:37 AM
thenatural
2nd Gear Member

I'm having the same issue with mine!
Maybe that is just how it works? Slightly annoying
Old 08-10-2011, 11:49 AM
Art161
4th Gear Member

It seems to me that you would want the car to shut off when the door is opened. This would keep a thief from driving away with your car. Can't figure out what the deal is with the 5 seconds.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:35 PM
tightdogal
5th Gear Member

^ In that case, it defeats the whole point of having a remote start in the first place if someone is worried about a thief. But I'm just talking about merely starting the car in my garage or something.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:56 PM
HenryinFlorida
1st Gear Member

No it doesn't defeat the purpose. The purpose is as stated earlier. you remote start the car with the heat or air running as needed. Then when your ready to drive you open the door, and sit in and restart an already heated or cooled car. Just that simple. I would seem logical that it is a safety feature to have it shut off when the door is opened just as mentioned earlier.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:08 PM
tightdogal
5th Gear Member

Just weird. None of the other cars I've rode in before have done that with remote start. They typically stay on until the owner unlocks the car and slips the key in without it shutting off. A thief is the last thing you're worried about...especially if you're starting a car that's LOCKED.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:57 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

my wife's old edge had remote start and it did that on occasion. I narrowed the shut off when the doors open down to how long the car ran before i hit unlock to get in to. if you hit start on it, fired the car up, and then unlocked the door to get in within a few seconds it turned off. If i for instance hit start and let the car run for 10 minutes and then went out as long as you don't touch the gas or brake you can sit there in the car and it will keep running.

you have to put the key in and turn it to run, but not activate the starter to keep the car running when you remote start it. i started the car like that once at the snow cone stand and my son went to get in the car a few minutes later and sat in it 15 minutes with no key listening to the radio with ac blasting and all was fine.

Quick Reply: Remote Start and the car shutting off when you open the door?