Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Automatic Jerk/Clunk Shifting from 1st to 2nd?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 12:39 PM
SD 197
2nd Gear Member

Sorry for never updating, the dealership eventually fixed the problem.

They called the rough shifting a "spur" from first to 2nd. They dropped the tranny pan and found metal shavings, and decided to replace the whole thing.

Luckily I had an aftermarket extended warranty for used cars, and it covered everything but a few bolts.

Now, they did state the tranny probably would have survived for years in that condition.

If I was you, out of warranty, I would check with a good 3rd party indy tranny shop you trust to do an evaluation. Dealerships are not in the habit of fixing trannys, but replacing them completely. Instead of the $3,500 to replace one, it maybe a few hundred to fix it instead.
Old 01-27-2017, 12:31 AM
Andrew Sweisberger

Originally Posted by SD 197
Sorry for never updating, the dealership eventually fixed the problem.

They called the rough shifting a "spur" from first to 2nd. They dropped the tranny pan and found metal shavings, and decided to replace the whole thing.

Luckily I had an aftermarket extended warranty for used cars, and it covered everything but a few bolts.

Now, they did state the tranny probably would have survived for years in that condition.

If I was you, out of warranty, I would check with a good 3rd party indy tranny shop you trust to do an evaluation. Dealerships are not in the habit of fixing trannys, but replacing them completely. Instead of the $3,500 to replace one, it maybe a few hundred to fix it instead.

Since having the whole tranny replaced how has it been working? What year is your car? is it a GT, v6, ecoboost? What company did you have the after market used car warranty with? Right after I had the throttle body recall fixed I got like 10 different letters in the mail from companies claiming to do just that but seemed very questionable and possibly a total scam. So i just trashed them. I have it stored for the winter so when it warms up I will probably drop the pan and check for metal shavings maybe even replace the fluid entirely. To me it definitely seems to be something related to the transmission, but I am no expert. It is very odd to say the least and does not seem "normal"
Old 01-27-2017, 11:26 AM
SD 197
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Andrew Sweisberger
Since having the whole tranny replaced how has it been working? What year is your car? is it a GT, v6, ecoboost? What company did you have the after market used car warranty with? Right after I had the throttle body recall fixed I got like 10 different letters in the mail from companies claiming to do just that but seemed very questionable and possibly a total scam. So i just trashed them. I have it stored for the winter so when it warms up I will probably drop the pan and check for metal shavings maybe even replace the fluid entirely. To me it definitely seems to be something related to the transmission, but I am no expert. It is very odd to say the least and does not seem "normal"
The car was a 2006 GT Convertible with 78,000 miles or so when the tranny started acting up. It started small and then got progressively worse.

I honestly don't remember the company, it was the one the dealership sold me when I bought the car used. I actually traded in the car a couple of years ago so I don't have that info anymore.

I recommend you speak with your service adviser at your favorite Ford dealership and ask what company they recommend for 3rd party warranties. They know which ones take care of business or fight you tooth and nail for every little repair.

I think I paid $1,200 for my warranty, and it definitely paid out for me on this one. I think in total, besides the tranny I had a couple of small leaks, all payouts combined was over $5,000 on that car.

What was cool is that the re-manufactured Ford tranny they installed also came with a warranty, 2-3 years I think.

Last edited by SD 197; 01-27-2017 at 11:28 AM.