Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I Hate %^&$# Stripes!

Old 08-23-2011, 07:50 AM
highline
4th Gear Member

Were talking pavement marking <lane> stripes correct? I work in civil construction...There are two types of stripe, paint and thermo...Please don't use gasoline to remove, nor diesel...If it's paint clay bar + wax, if it's thermo (will look like plastic/wax "drips" like you may see when you drop a lit candle, tip it over ect)...Does it look like dried wax? If so, you can try anything, but we have re-pained several vehicles due to this...I would QUICKLY (construction workers forget fast) find out who (both general contractor and striping/pavement marking subcontractor) was on that site...Also, find out the owner of the project...City, County, TxDOT (where ever you live)...I'd say if you can fix it, you should do so and forget it, as ****ty as that is...If you feel the need to proceed further, the general contractor will be at guilty for faulty/non-compliance with specified DOT lane closure procedures, which are outline in "Standard Specification for Construction and Maintenance of Highway, Streets, and Bridges" and also "Reference to Work Zone Traffic Control" manuals found online or at any DOT...I fear if it is thermo you may need to go this route...Call the construction company and ask for the appropriate representative (claims manager, project manager, ect)...If after 3 calls, and yes it takes this many as they will try the 'I'll get back with you and forget method' at first, call the owner's (TxDOT, ect) project manager...
Old 08-23-2011, 10:39 AM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Just clay, gasoline isn't that great an idea. Before that though, I would try a cleaner like a bug and tar remover. I personally like Adam's All Purpose Cleaner, though any good bug and tar remover will help.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:48 AM
ADollinger

Originally Posted by 2cokeman
That sucks!! You can't fight city hall!!
Actually depending on where you live you may have some luck contacting the city. I just had an issue where the city was doing road construction and they left a really sharp point around a man hole cover in the middle of the lane. It shredded my tire. I contacted them and within one day they processed my reimbursement for the tire.

Worth a shot! Contact the city.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:13 PM
CincyGT2009
2nd Gear Member

I second the WD40 suggestion! Pat Goss from MotorWeek turned me onto that YEARS ago. Works wonders on tar too!
Old 08-23-2011, 12:54 PM
highline
4th Gear Member

now that I can see pics I'd say it was paint...clay (wd40 if u must) and wax...You'll be good to go...If anyone sees a traffic marking truck working near you, or a mixer concrete truck near you...stop and go another way...
Old 08-23-2011, 01:05 PM
wanakanabe
2nd Gear Member

Well i used gasoline,that is what 3 body shops recommended,that or kerosene.I did try some bug and tar remover on lighter specks at first but i could see right away this wasn't going to work and would of scratched the paint all up.That's when i started calling shops.

Clay bar would never of touched it,this stuff was thick and caked all along the bottom.Lighter splattered specks half way up the door and fenders.
Took a few hours but it is all off and i don't see any scratches.Spending the day today,claying the whole car,glazing and waxing.

Contacted city and they said sorry,it was a state highway.Contacted State and they said to file a tort claim,send certified claim form.Meanwhile i would had to of driven around with this stuff on my car while i waited for a claims adjuster.No thanks,i wanted to see how it went trying to get it off first.If it looked like it was going to go badly,then i would of started a process.

I trust these shops.I called 2 of them and drove to one of the shops.I never mentioned talking to another shop and they all said their first recommended fix was gas to soften up the splatter,blot with a clean micro fiber then wash up.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:12 PM
wanakanabe
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by highline
now that I can see pics I'd say it was paint...clay (wd40 if u must) and wax...You'll be good to go...If anyone sees a traffic marking truck working near you, or a mixer concrete truck near you...stop and go another way...
It was midnight,i just got off work.They had no signs posted,i just came up to the rear truck that had an arrow pointing to other lane and bam there it was,a painting truck,i could see right away what he was doing and moved away from it as far as i could but I'm sure it was already to late because that stuff was still wet from where they had already passed a mile back.
If they would of had signs,i would of taken an alternate route.I am going to follow up with the dept and give them some crap and see if i can file a complaint.Probably won't amount to anything but personal satisfaction that i didn't just roll over.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:53 PM
highline
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by wanakanabe
It was midnight,i just got off work.They had no signs posted,i just came up to the rear truck that had an arrow pointing to other lane and bam there it was,a painting truck,i could see right away what he was doing and moved away from it as far as i could but I'm sure it was already to late because that stuff was still wet from where they had already passed a mile back.
If they would of had signs,i would of taken an alternate route.I am going to follow up with the dept and give them some crap and see if i can file a complaint.Probably won't amount to anything but personal satisfaction that i didn't just roll over.
that is these:

1. **** poor contracting on the border of lazy and reckless...the contractor is at fault.
2. even worse management/supervision skills by the owner...Now, you said the city quickly noted it was a state highway, which is zero suprise to me, but doesn't mean the owner of the project, ie who hired/put out a contract on the pavement marking project must be the state...Anywho, I'm really glad you got it off/worked out...They are so lucky that no one got into an accident with that type of operation/lack of signing or warning!