Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any way to "cheat" inspection?

Old 08-24-2011, 09:27 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Default Any way to "cheat" inspection?

Well I have been on this long debate on whether I should remove my headers or not, and Jim Jr. a JDM suggests it would be better to just put the stock system back on, as they have had problems even with metallic cats not passing. I am from new york and here they do a check through the OBDII port instead of a tail pipe sniffer. I am not sure 100% how this works, but I believe it checks to make sure all the 02 sensors are working properly and making sure your car isnt throwing any codes.... any suggestions on how to pass or even if I find someone to "help me out" will he actually be able to pass me?
Old 08-24-2011, 09:40 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

I was thinking have JDM give me a tune with the 02's turned on, if I throw any codes I just clear it right before I bring it in, and than after inspection have them turn the 02's off. Not sure if they are going to do this as it involves extra work for them. Maybe when I get it dyno tuned they can just put the 2 tunes (exact same just one with the 02's turned on and the other with them off) and I do it myself.

Thinking maybe I can do something like this
http://www.tri-statestallions.com/vi...php?f=42&t=489

Last edited by grabber blue gt; 08-24-2011 at 09:49 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:30 PM
jz
3rd Gear Member

Not sure how NY works compared to PA, but you have to drive your car for a good 60+ miles after resetting the codes before they will do an emissions test, so the simply clearing any codes would not work. Again, this is in PA not sure how NY works. You should find out before going down that path.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:35 PM
clix813
4th Gear Member

I got away with having my o2s turned off on my 2002 gt for 4 years here in az. With newer cars they would plug the obd2 in see no codes and be on my way.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:53 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

I am going to check on friday with my local inspection center if I would pass as of right now. Apparently you will fail for "readiness" of the rear 02 sensors if they are turned off. I REALLYYYYY just dont want to spend the $270 for the cats and than end up still failing and having to remove the headers after all that
Old 08-24-2011, 11:06 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Dude you need to ask your fellow New Yorkers whats the deal. There are several here that live on Long Island that I can think of. Talk with local hot rodders what up, local speed shops, anybody in NY.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:15 AM
Acerbus 2.0
2nd Gear Member

Just do like I did and explain your "situation" to the inspector. I didn't even have to ask mine for a way around; he just offered to pass his car's inspection info as my own for an extra $20 right out. Didn't even bat an eye telling me that.

If your guy refuses, then just take your car to be inspected elsewhere.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:39 AM
X3xMONGOOSEx3X
4th Gear Member

In New York they hook you up to a computer that is on a State wide database. You can't go to one shop have them do the inspection fail then go to another shop and pay them to pass you. They'll see on the computer why you failed and you're SOL then. I'm not sure about the longtubes.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:31 AM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Why are you worried? You'll pass just fine. Put anti foulers on the rear 02's and make sure your turner has turned them back on. Borrow a OBD II scanner that has the "Emissions Ready" checker on it just to make sure you've driven enough.

Here in GA we test the same way you do.

Visual inspection to see that you have cats.
Scans computer for trouble codes while idling for about 10 minutes.
No sniff test.

My 05 passed just fine this February with Pypes LTs. I did spend the $270 for cats just to pass the test. They were on my car for all of a week then I took them back off. I did have to put them back on to trade it in though.

Forgot to mention, I even had Detroit Rocker cams when I passed. I'm sure they were slinging extra gas down my exhaust while it was idling.

Last edited by Bmr4life; 08-25-2011 at 05:38 AM.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:03 AM
GerRod
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by grabber blue gt
I am going to check on friday with my local inspection center if I would pass as of right now. Apparently you will fail for "readiness" of the rear 02 sensors if they are turned off. I REALLYYYYY just dont want to spend the $270 for the cats and than end up still failing and having to remove the headers after all that
You are not going to pass with an O/R x pipe and your rear O2s turned off. You don't need to take your headers off. You need to add cats, turn on the rear O2s, and get a good tune. Look at my mods. I passed the OBDII inspection. I did have problems with tunes from other companies, but my current tune did the trick.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any way to "cheat" inspection?