Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Random topic: Has anyone come from a BMW/Benz/Audi/Lexus to a Mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 11:14 AM
tightdogal
5th Gear Member

Top Gear is more of a comedy for car fans. It's not meant to be taken seriously anyway.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:59 PM
2011V6Conv
1st Gear Member

Great Thread. To follow up on some things that were mentioned here

- I test drove a 2007 BMW 328 convertible before buying my 2011 v6 (same price range). Car is definitely smooth, quick and ... quiet. Quality aside, I like the 2011 internal design more than that of the BMW in terms of layout, gauges, etc. Not to mention the sound of the engine.

- external design is the same - while the BMW looks smooth and well rounded, the 2011 mustang looks more unique , especially from the front. I really like that front.

- Uniqueness - where I work, the parking lot has many BMWs, especially variations of 3 series. There were only few stangs when I bought mine.

- Since I was going after a convertible, I was hoping to get a hard top one (hence testing the BMW). While not a major consideration at that time, I later realize I have the same (reasonable) trunk space with the top up and down. With the BMW, you can put maybe two magazines in the trunk when the top is down. Glad I went for the mustang with respect to that, as I happen to move car seats often between the back seat and the trunk.

- Quality - this is my only issue with the stang. I have a friend with an 09 GT, and the quality of the interior of my 2011 is several levels above his. That said, I have too many rattles and squeaks for a car less than a year on the road. Specifically, I have one very loud rattle that comes inconsistently from the panel above my left foot (where the light switch is). Dealer has already tried to solve it, came back after a few weeks.

Overall I really enjoy the mustang in my daily commute, or on weekend rides. Only when that rattles shows up, I get pissed off and turn on louder music
Old 09-13-2011, 12:03 AM
MELLOWYELLOW06
6th Gear Member

You cant compare the 2. One is a high priced, refined European performance/luxury vehicle and the other is a brute, stylish, fairly affordable "FUN" vehicle. I have had most of them and switched back and forth and I currently have both, but each one is fun to drive in their own different way.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:01 AM
hollywub
2nd Gear Member

I had 4 mercedes. 1999 CLK430, 2001 CLK55 Supercharged(custom), 2006 E55 Supercharged and a 2010 C300 AWD.

I love my mustang, but it is like comparing a seiko to a breitling.

My E55 was 1000 times more refined. Ran a 12.52. Smooth. Amazing car.

I got rid of it cause I didnt want to deal with a blown motor or tranny for $25k/$10k.

The mustang is a fun car that almost anyone can fix and the parts to fix them or mod them are reasonable.

Pretty much everything aftermarket on a BMW, Mercedes and Audi is expensive. My Kleeman supercharger was over $10k I believe.

Now I have a really nice Mustang and a new Armada Platinum for less than I paid for the E55.

It is annoying though when a 4 door E63 with a little work is staying right next to you with every mod done you can think of
Old 09-13-2011, 03:18 PM
DrewStang4.6

My first car was a '93 BMW 525i (I feel spoiled xD) that had just over 197k miles before I traded it for my GT. I can say that I felt it handled the road better (ride quality at least) and had better breaking than my GT. However, my GT feels so much more fun to drive (though, that inline 6 had a decent bit of "pep" to it) and the maintnence on the BMW was rediculous

Here is to American Muscle!
Old 09-13-2011, 08:48 PM
BLKSTAGE3
1st Gear Member

Went from a 2003 M5 to the Roush it's a whole different world they're not very comparable at all but I wanted something more race oriented so I went for it. I miss the M5 it was so comfortable as a DD.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:06 PM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

Dad has a Benz.. it's fine I guess. Slow. I would drive a CL, SL, or CLS class Benz.. or the previous body style BMW 7 series. That's about it. Maybe a chipped 335i, but meh.. I would look like a tool. I hate all Audi's.. even the R8. They are just ugly and boring IMO. I would MUCH MUCH MUCH rather have an '09 Cadillac CTS-V over any of the German Products.

You can't really compare any of those to a Mustang...

Last edited by 07BLACKGT; 09-13-2011 at 09:56 PM.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:22 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by Heiko
Doesn't Jeremy Clarkson trash-talk more or less all cars until it's an Aston Martin V12 or a Range Rover?
The Range Rover...
Here's a $75K piece of crap that should have never seen the light of day.
And dumb *** Clarkson, lol. Only he, could appreciate a polished turd.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:27 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pascal
The Range Rover...
Here's a $75K piece of crap that should have never seen the light of day.
And dumb *** Clarkson, lol. Only he, could appreciate a polished turd.
Exactly What I thought... Not hating on the show (I actually enjoy it) but it seems like they have some of the most illogical choices in cars- Clarkson and his range rovers, that younger kid (forget his name) and how he compares exotic 6 figure cars to american mass production...

Meh, I still would like to have the old audi back though... I know in the next 3-4 months once the snow starts falling, I'm gonna miss it.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:56 AM
Heiko

You have to mention though that Top Gear gave the Roush Mustang GT credits for being quite a bit faster around the track than the stock GT 500.

Cool that there is no hate here in this thread!

Quick Reply: Random topic: Has anyone come from a BMW/Benz/Audi/Lexus to a Mustang?