Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X Charger vs new 5.0 GT

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 11:18 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stags
And truth be told. A new 5.0 isnt really an option for me. I am rather attatched to my lil pony and she was a gift from my dad for graduating with a 4.0. So ill work on her with every dime I can scrape up but I dont think Ill ever sell her
I loved my 07 4.0. I was lucky enough to get a good deal on the 2011 GT...otherwise I would have an xcharged 4.0 today.

Don't worry about comparisons. It's not healthy. If you slap a charger on your car you are going to be one happy camper.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:48 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stags
ward spratlin has a 4.0 with a powerhouse turbo... 400 HP... There was another 4.0 guy running a 75 shot of nitrous on the same turbo getting 530... It can be done.

Buttt ive never felt a need to go turbo. Or risk blowing the motor with insane PSIs. From what ive heard the X is a hugely reliable blower
You also have to consider that his engine is modded to the teeth, not just bolt-ons, but he tore out that engine, ripped everything out from inside it, went all forged everything, and put a massive turbo for top end and the nitrous for the low end where turbo lag would kill him.

To get a 4.0 six to see 400+ BHP crank, you will have to do the same.
And it aint cheap. For that kind of money, you could buy a Coyote 5.0 crate engine and electronics control kit and swap it in.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:19 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
You also have to consider that his engine is modded to the teeth, not just bolt-ons, but he tore out that engine, ripped everything out from inside it, went all forged everything, and put a massive turbo for top end and the nitrous for the low end where turbo lag would kill him.

To get a 4.0 six to see 400+ BHP crank, you will have to do the same.
And it aint cheap. For that kind of money, you could buy a Coyote 5.0 crate engine and electronics control kit and swap it in.
No you don't.... I make in the 350s right now stock motor and with heads and cams I will see 400rwhp and throw in some water/meth to keep it cool, stock motor.

I am going to the track within the next few weeks and am racing my buddies 2011 5.0 w/ bolt ons. He runs high 12s low 13s, so we shall see! But I don't have an X!

Last edited by 2005Redfire6; 09-01-2011 at 12:25 AM.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:45 AM
turbo 2.8
3rd Gear Member

I can hang with STOCK 5.0s even past 60 ! but once they start modden , its game over !
Old 09-01-2011, 01:00 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by turbo 2.8
I can hang with STOCK 5.0s even past 60 ! but once they start modden , its game over !
I can agree with you about that one, but at the same time it all depends on scenarios.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:31 AM
stags
3rd Gear Member

I dont see many Modded Cars in Colorado. SO ill soak up your stock GT killing wisdom.

I dont have any plans to build the motor any time soon. I dont have the time or resources. Having my DD out of action would be devastating. Now, when I hit 150K or 200k miles or something goes wrong internally, then ill prolly replace all the stock internals with forged stuff and prolly do cams and heads. But thats hopefully a few years in the future yet.

Ive also heard that putting any kind of motor in that the car was not designed for is trouble. People were saying that it was cheaper to just sell and buy a new GT than try and do a 4.6L conversion. As much as I wouldlove to see a coyote in my pony, that would be a hell of a chore.

On a side note, While im attracted to the X for its low end grunt, im not totally sold and am always open to hearing from you centri guys
Old 09-01-2011, 07:26 AM
turbo 2.8
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2005Redfire6
I can agree with you about that one, but at the same time it all depends on scenarios.
yeah in my case , pretty much stock besides tune and vortech , you will have a better go at em !
Old 09-01-2011, 07:40 AM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Wait, are we seriously comparing a supercharged 4.0 v6 to a 5.0? The 4.0 wouldn't stand a chance. I think some of you are ignoring the difference in transmissions also. The 6sp gives yet another nod to the 5.0. Only thing keeping them close to 60mph is fighting for traction. Put DR's on both and its see you later from the start.

Also, I doubt a racing 5.0 wouldn't pony up the ~$400 from some tunes from Bama, Brenspeed, BBR, etc. That makes the gap even larger.

5.0's are hanging with supercharged 4.6 V8 (like m90s). Why would you think a FI'd 4.0 v6 would do any better?
Old 09-01-2011, 08:03 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

That x charged sixxer is no sloutch and I am sure it's a blast to drive.
But you aren't going to be out running any new 5oh's in it, not in the twisties either.

Have you ever considered saving the money from future mods you put into the sixxer to put a nice big down payment on a 5.0 a year or two down the road?

That I would say would be a wise saving of money.
And the bolt ons you could add on to the new 5.0 would simply
leave those BIG mods you put into the sixxer in a shallow grave my friend.

Great sixxer but for you wanting to add big power and other things in the future to that older sixxer, I'd say skip it and put it down on a new 5.0 in a year or two.
Or hell, even a use low mileage GT500.

We opted for the low mileage GT500 for reasons we all know about.
Nabbed the beauty for the price of a decently optioned out new 5.0, and
it only had 3800mi. on the odometer. Hell... it was garage kept and only driven every once in a while. There will still be those people who have garage queened their GT500's then and you could end up REALLY getting one HELL of a deal for an AWESOME car.

We have some friends that have purchased a new 5.0.
And while they ALL love their five oh's, every one of them wished they would
have gone the route we went.

The new 5.0 is the best performing GT to ever come out of the factory
from Ford but we, along with many others, still hold the GT500 as king for a number of reasons. Like I said the new five oh's are FANTASTIC cars but....
IM SO GLAD we went with our 08GT500.
LOVE OUR GT500!

And I love nicknaming the new Camaro SS, my Snake Snack! lol!

Lots of routs to go now days. But I'd say let the sixxer go and save up a little
cash for one of the two cars I suggested. SO MUCH more potential in these cars man!
Old 09-01-2011, 08:07 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by Ricardo
Don't worry we know you are just curious what would be faster.

The new 5.0s are just mean though and the V6 would be like, "WTF was that?!" lol

I vote for you to get a new 5.0. WIN!

Can't wait till you get your new five oh' Ricardo!
Man I'm almost exited as you are about it!
Any thoughts on what color you are thinking about getting yet?
You know where I stand on that hahahaa.
I loved the Grabber Orange but they makie it no morie!
I'd love to see you roll up in a black one!

Hey man... no matter what color you get or when you get it.
You BETTER drive that damn thing to my house the DAY you get it bro! LOL!

P.S. I sent you a PM with a couple of questions before you leave.

Quick Reply: X Charger vs new 5.0 GT