Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

T-LOK's and winter.

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 02:28 PM
kput
4th Gear Member

Default T-LOK's and winter.

So this upcoming Nebraska winter will be my second winter driving, and first in my stang. I live in a somewhat hilly part of the region, and my daily commute to work includes going up a hill shortly after leaving my house.

Also, I work at 5am, so the roads will be most likely unplowed.

I'm picking up some Blizak snow tires here soon, since they are a must have. As well as loading down my trunk with a couple hundred pounds.

I've also mentioned getting T-LOKs before to improve my traction.
http://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-28spline-75-lsd.html

^^ Those are the ones I'll probably be getting. (Unless you have a better reccomendation).

So I'm just curious. What all will adding the T-LOK do for me besides two wheel burnouts.

Will it actually help in the snow?

And here's another big question.
Can I install it myself?

Side note, I've had several people tell me to just get the GT rear end, unfortunately there's no way I can afford that, especially after buying 700dollar snow tires.
So let's hear advice other than that. ^-^

thanks!
Old 09-05-2011, 02:32 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Traction to both rears instead of one. It will be easier to swing the rear out, bur overall you will get better traction.
Old 09-05-2011, 02:42 PM
JimC

How much will it cost you to get the tlok and have it installed? You might be surprised to find out that a take off 8.8 is about the same price quite often (depending upon where you have things installed)
Old 09-05-2011, 02:59 PM
kput
4th Gear Member

The t-lok is a little under 200. As for installation, that's what I was curious about. Not sure if I can install myself, or have to take it somewhere, or how much they'd charge. It seems like the takeoff is around 500, right?
Old 09-05-2011, 03:23 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kput
The t-lok is a little under 200. As for installation, that's what I was curious about. Not sure if I can install myself, or have to take it somewhere, or how much they'd charge. It seems like the takeoff is around 500, right?
Doubt you will find one that cheap unless you come across a deal. Usually $700 range, and they are getting harder to find! (Takeoffs), but I have found they are getting harder to find in general.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:41 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Just gonna say that you shouldn't worry so much. I made it through most of winter with no weight in my trunk, a hilly barely plowed drive to school (usually in atleast 2 inches of snow) and bald stock pirelli tires. It was fun, to say the least. I could lose traction @ 3/4 throttle in 3rd gear.

And yet here I am.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:51 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangFirstCar
Just gonna say that you shouldn't worry so much. I made it through most of winter with no weight in my trunk, a hilly barely plowed drive to school (usually in atleast 2 inches of snow) and bald stock pirelli tires. It was fun, to say the least. I could lose traction @ 3/4 throttle in 3rd gear.

And yet here I am.
LOLOL that last sentence killed me

Yeah I had the stock pirellis for part of the winter before getting snows and no junk in my trunk... Did just fine on a 20 minute commute on the highway (although white knuckled).

The worst feeling for me was the rear slipping on a patch of ice as I passed under a bridge going 55 on a interstate lol. Butt pucker lingered for hours...

My next mods might be LCAs for winter. Not sure if they will help in snow, but worth a shot lol.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:50 AM
FsuGoNoles63
2nd Gear Member

You will be fine. I have the Blizzaks and stock rear end and made it just fine through the winter. Nebraska doesnt get that much snow, does it?
Old 09-06-2011, 07:44 AM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

Congrats on driving your Mustang all year! I live in WI, our winters are very similar to yours. I drove a 2000 V6 with an open diff for 5 years here, it really needs to have winter tires like Blizzaks. (This will be my first winter with the 2012 V6). The advantage of an open diff, like Mr Sand said, Tlok has better traction, but when you take off and spin both tires, the back will slide out! If you have traction control, you will not slide out. Chains are not legal in WI, but I always carry a set, I've practiced putting them on in the snow. I carry a tow strap and jumper cables as well. In winter I always carry a blanket, water, a couple of snacks in case I get stranded. I carry a bag of kitty litter in the trunk, it adds a little weight, and you can spread it on ice to get a little traction.
None of this will help if the snow gets too deep, Mustangs do not have a lot of ground clearance, they will get hopelessly stuck in deep snow.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:52 AM
kput
4th Gear Member

It's funny the many different opinions I've heard about stangs in the wintertime. Similar to the difference of opinions in exhaust..
oh well.

I'm going to be safe. I don't want to risk wrecking. I've already got the backend dinged up, thanks to some idiot in a parking lot. Hit and runs...yay. That will cost me 1000+ to get fixed if I go to a shop.

I'd rather be safe; tires, weight, t-loks..
better safe than sorry? But that's just how I am.

I'll definitely need to pick up some tow cables, just in case..like the idea of the kitty litter. I'll make sure to avoid deep snow at all costs.

And lol yes, Nebraska does get quite a bit of snow. It starts mid-november usually. And doesn't let up until March or so.
I have a short commute to work daily. School twice a week (bit longer). And the trip out to the girlfriend's is 15miles both ways, so I'd feel much safer with the winter gear.

Also, my main question still hasn't been answered.
Can I install t-loks myself, or will I have to take it somewhere?

Quick Reply: T-LOK's and winter.