Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust leak?! Video inside-need ideas!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 08:56 PM
HOTRODD77
2nd Gear Member

Exclamation Exhaust leak?! Video inside-need ideas!

A day or two ago I started hearing a 'ticking'(i guess) sound when I'm accelerating from a stop. Somewhere around 900-1k rpm it starts, and then is gone around 1200 or so. Does not do this at idle, and it won't do it in park, only when it's in gear. I've thought for a bit that I might have a leak, but that's only because I have some hissing from around the mid-pipe clamp, goes away when I give it a little gas. I'm not 100% sure what one sounds like. Anyway, car just hit 30k today. The car is properly maintained. The only mod is boomtube axle backs. Nothing else.

All I have is my digital camera, so there is some background noise. I had to put my headphones in to hear it really good. You can hear it best at about the 15 sec mark/48 sec mark. Once in the 20's I am trying to hold it on and around 1000 rpm so you can hear the ticking for a while. At about the 1 min mark you can hear the hissing I was talking about. Oh and just ignore my dogs in the backround(that is not my car doing that lol) Make sure you turn it up

Any help would be greatly appreciated guys!
Old 09-13-2011, 09:52 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

I had an exhaust leak on my headers which I just removed yesterday, and was getting the same exact sounds. Just check and make sure allllllll the bolts on the exhaust are tight. and I mean ALL the bolts, including the actual manifold bolts themselves. If it still continues it might be the manifold gasket, but most likely its just something that loosened up.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:51 PM
HOTRODD77
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by grabber blue gt
I had an exhaust leak on my headers which I just removed yesterday, and was getting the same exact sounds. Just check and make sure allllllll the bolts on the exhaust are tight. and I mean ALL the bolts, including the actual manifold bolts themselves. If it still continues it might be the manifold gasket, but most likely its just something that loosened up.
That's good to know. Thanks for chiming in, bud! Just not sure what would have caused it. I havent messed with anything exhaust wise in front of the rear axle. Anyway, that makes me feel a little better about it. I plan on bringing it to the dealer Friday(soonest I can go), as I'm still under warranty. Hopefully they'll take care of it.

Was yours doing it only at certain rpm's also?
Old 09-13-2011, 10:55 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Sometimes when you tinker around with axlebacks it can knock the midpipe enough to cause an eventual exhaust leak. I haven't done anything with my exhaust for nearly a year now but recently near curbs i can hear what sounds like a minor exhaust leak. The midpipe seems like it easily loses an ideal seal.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:14 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

No problem man, and I would definitely bring it in. I didnt realize yours was a 2010 so yes they should fit it under warranty. Just have them put it on a lift and check all exhaust sealing points. Yes mine was present up until about 1500rpm or so and mostly in the lower rpms. Also I would hear a hissing when driving next to parked cars and walls. Even when you think everything is tight on an exhaust system, it can be tighter. I remember having a very small leak coming from a clamp on my midpipe after my header install. I tightened it up literally 1/4 of a turn and it stopped leaking.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:57 PM
HOTRODD77
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by pdonket
Sometimes when you tinker around with axlebacks it can knock the midpipe enough to cause an eventual exhaust leak. I haven't done anything with my exhaust for nearly a year now but recently near curbs i can hear what sounds like a minor exhaust leak. The midpipe seems like it easily loses an ideal seal.
Yeah, curbs and walls, I hear it. Just the last day or two out of nowhere it's gotten loud. Hopefully it has just gotten loose somewhere and it's nothing major. Guess I'll be pulling out some wrenches tomorrow after work...

Originally Posted by grabber blue gt
No problem man, and I would definitely bring it in. I didnt realize yours was a 2010 so yes they should fit it under warranty. Just have them put it on a lift and check all exhaust sealing points. Yes mine was present up until about 1500rpm or so and mostly in the lower rpms. Also I would hear a hissing when driving next to parked cars and walls. Even when you think everything is tight on an exhaust system, it can be tighter. I remember having a very small leak coming from a clamp on my midpipe after my header install. I tightened it up literally 1/4 of a turn and it stopped leaking.
Man, that's exactly what I'm dealing with. Hissing has been for a while, but the other just out of nowhere. So your leak was coming from the mid-pipe clamp then, yes? Did the ticking sound like it was closer to the front when it was happening? I only ask bc the hissing is most def at the mid-pipe clamp, but the ticking sounds more forward than that. Now keep in mind that I am pretty much a mechanical ra-tard. Should these bolts be tightened hot or cold? Should they be torqued to a certian #? Thanks again for the replies.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:33 AM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Well no the leak I had from the clamp was a while back, sometime in like January. The leak I just recently had before I removed my headers was actually a bad header gasket, but I was getting the same sound. The ticking sound was coming from closer to the motor and could be heard if you put your ear right next to the driver side wheel. I havent started the car yet with the stock manifolds and h pipe back on yet, but I am confident that was what was causing the sound. Like I said just tighten up ALL the bolts on the exhaust system and see if that fixes it. With the way exhaust systems heat up and cool down, things become loose and this is what causes leaks. Its nothing major, everything just needs a tightening every once in a while.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:35 AM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

I actually just listened to your video, and yes it sounds like an exhaust leak.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:08 AM
caaraa
2nd Gear Member

The leak I just recently had before I removed my headers was actually a bad header gasket, but I was getting the same sound.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:27 AM
HOTRODD77
2nd Gear Member

Well, work has been insane this week and I can't get away for ****, much less sitting up at the dealer all day. I'm thinking if I can get a bit to run out tomorrow I might just try and run by an actual exhaust shop and see what they say. Good, bad?

Quick Reply: Exhaust leak?! Video inside-need ideas!