Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kenne bell or whipple?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 09:59 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

I chose to go with a KB for the upgrade potential, how it pulls intake air from outside the engine bay, and for its general compression efficiency.
Nonetheless, the others are great setups as well.
Either way you go, you'll be happy.

The KB has detailed installation instructions that take more steps than other installs, mainly because of where intake air comes from, maf relocation, and location of the throttle body (on passenger side). Complicated? no. It just takes time.

Any setup will need appropriate fuel pump upgrades to provide the needed fuel to keep operating safely.

I've had my KB a little over a year now.

If you do pick up a used kit, expect there to be a few things missing that you'll need or want to get to complete installation, regardless of the brand. There's usually some little things or little specialty brackets or bolts or something that don't get included with your parts, unless if you get a new kit.

Proper tuning is a must as well.

Get blown...you like it!
Old 09-26-2011, 11:32 PM
X3xMONGOOSEx3X
4th Gear Member

How bout a fully built beast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z228H...eature=related
Old 09-27-2011, 09:57 AM
MAXIMUS-GT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Brad192
hey guys i have a 2010 mustang gt and im going to supercharge it but i cant decide between the whipple or the kenne bell stage 1 kit. i want i supercharger thats going to give me nice hp but not destroy my car and only last a year, if anyone has either or any advice or experience to share with me i would really appreciate it! oh and my car is stock right now but i plan on getting long tubes, cams etc
Kenne Bell!! I did over a year of research before even buying my new GT California Special, and spoke with multiple (literally a ton) of local and online experts, tuners, and forum members, and even upon visiting my local dyno performance shop he expressed to me honestly that I could save a good $800 going with a different lesser blower system, but STRONGLY advised me toward Kenne Bell. They have a cooler (much cooler) efficient running and air management system, awesome build quality and components, and they are even the only supercharger Shelby uses at their factory to churn out the horsepower BEASTS upward of 1,000hp Super Snakes. Plus.... Kenne Bell has always catered to Mustangs.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:02 AM
MAXIMUS-GT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tx_zstang
I chose to go with a KB for the upgrade potential, how it pulls intake air from outside the engine bay, and for its general compression efficiency.
Nonetheless, the others are great setups as well.
Either way you go, you'll be happy.

The KB has detailed installation instructions that take more steps than other installs, mainly because of where intake air comes from, maf relocation, and location of the throttle body (on passenger side). Complicated? no. It just takes time.

Any setup will need appropriate fuel pump upgrades to provide the needed fuel to keep operating safely.

I've had my KB a little over a year now.

If you do pick up a used kit, expect there to be a few things missing that you'll need or want to get to complete installation, regardless of the brand. There's usually some little things or little specialty brackets or bolts or something that don't get included with your parts, unless if you get a new kit.

Proper tuning is a must as well.

Get blown...you like it!
THIS!!!

These are all things I was told, and have now seen first hand. Sure, it wasn't PERFECT because they (Kenne Bell) forgot to ship a few parts and instructions (DOH!) but eventually it all came together. I am still a little heated over them not sending instructions in the boxes or the filter for crying out loud. However, the relocation of the cold air intake is GENIUS and light years above the others!
Old 09-27-2011, 12:28 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MAXIMUS-GT
Kenne Bell!! I did over a year of research before even buying my new GT California Special, and spoke with multiple (literally a ton) of local and online experts, tuners, and forum members, and even upon visiting my local dyno performance shop he expressed to me honestly that I could save a good $800 going with a different lesser blower system, but STRONGLY advised me toward Kenne Bell. They have a cooler (much cooler) efficient running and air management system, awesome build quality and components, and they are even the only supercharger Shelby uses at their factory to churn out the horsepower BEASTS upward of 1,000hp Super Snakes. Plus.... Kenne Bell has always catered to Mustangs.

honestly, either KB or Whipple are great SC and will get nearly the same power/displacement.
Super Snakes use either KB, TVS, or Whipple. and any of those are great SC.

but guess what goes into a Cobra Jet? Whipple!!!

Old 09-27-2011, 12:32 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

I have the Kenne Bell.

Stock for stock the Whipple is the better setup. It's easier to install and it doesn't heat soak as badly as the Kenne Bell does.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:52 PM
MAXIMUS-GT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by onederful100
honestly, either KB or Whipple are great SC and will get nearly the same power/displacement.
Super Snakes use either KB, TVS, or Whipple. and any of those are great SC.

but guess what goes into a Cobra Jet? Whipple!!!
Why does Whipple suck the hot air from under the hood though rather than moving the air intake where both more, and cooler, air is readily available?

Also, Kenne Bell uses billet construction... Whipple uses the muchhood cheaper cast.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:06 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Enter the fanboys...
Old 09-27-2011, 01:07 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MAXIMUS-GT
Why does Whipple suck the hot air from under the hood though rather than moving the air intake where both more, and cooler, air is readily available?

Also, Kenne Bell uses billet construction... Whipple uses the muchhood cheaper cast.
my IAT sensor is in the stock location, right after the air filter.
i have monitored the IAT from there using my livewire.
when i sit still in traffic it heats up to 110-120, depending on how long i'm sitting there.
once i get moving, the air from under the car gets fed into the air filter, the IAT is nearly identical to ambient temps.
once you are moving i dont think the KB intake system is significantly better.

like i said, either one will work great and get comparable hp gains.
there are good things about the KB, like their liquid cooled bigger units. but i believe Whipple is also going into that.
and the KB is 2.6L whereas the Whipple is 2.3L, as their base models for GT's. so that means bigger displacement and more power.
when i was narrowing down my choices, KB was one of the remaining SC'ers that i did consider.
its just that people around me are more familiar with the Whipple, so if i need help with it, they can help me.
and i just like the look of it better. and thats just a personal choice.

I really dont think you can make a bad choice with either KB or Whipple or Roush TVS.
I would go with either of those. all reliable SC.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:16 PM
MAXIMUS-GT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
Enter the fanboys...
Translation: Enter irrefutable facts about colder efficient air intake and better build quality material boys

Quick Reply: Kenne bell or whipple?