Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike rack on a mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 05:13 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

^That's a little harsh... I think if you want to ride a bike so bad you shouldn't need a bike rack

There's a reason Mustang's don't have hitches or bike racks...they are muscle cars. If you really insist on getting one then by all means look into the links that have been provided but I think you're looking to make a mistake.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:03 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Easy solution: Buy a 1000 dollar beater 92 Buick and stick a bike rack on it. Then you won't have to ruin your beautiful car, you will get to ride your bike, and you will get a beater for bad weather.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:08 PM
BLKSTAGE3
1st Gear Member

Bike racks are fine on mustangs if you truly daily drive your mustang you need to treat it like an SUV some times I had wood in my car the other day with the seats folded down and the trunk open. I would still rather drive my roush with **** in it then a truck.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:13 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

^I see your point but that doesn't mean you stick a bike rack on it. Wood gets put in it's place when you're done with the job. Not to mention the wood INSIDE your trunk won't scratch the paint.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:13 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

I would never ever ever put wood in my trunk. Ever. The interior being in good condition is about as important as the paint. Seriously guys, get a beater.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:14 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

That's why you skip the open trunk car shows and rack up the wins at hood up only events! lol
Old 09-26-2011, 07:38 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

Got my hitch from etrailer.com .

Main purpose for my hitch is for the bike rack to carry a wheel chair for the wife and still have trunk room for the items we need. Long days at car shows make it hard for her to get around. I also carry O2 tanks....OMG.....

It is not real visible but it can be seen if looking for it.

Of course, I also tow a trailer with a golf cart on it.

It is a car....it has the capability of towing light weight loads and doing it in style. Nothing like beating one of those other brands when towing a trailer.

And yes, I have a Bronco also.....but the Mustang does go to shows....and my wife needs to be comfortable.

Maybe the towing is what keeps my #8 from smoking and my tranny shifting like butter....
Old 09-26-2011, 07:45 PM
S197steve
4th Gear Member

Saris Bones 3... I race mountain and ride road so I get a lot of use out of them. My dad and I have been using them for our bikes and never once had an issue. Best racks out there.

They work with both road and mountain bikes, though I'll never put more than two on the rack.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:29 PM
robs
3rd Gear Member

Lighten up Francis..
Old 09-26-2011, 08:50 PM
MadStang40
4th Gear Member

Damn, harsh much, scott? Still haven't grown out of the calling things gay for something you don't agree with? I won't call a guy with a mini-van gay, I'd call a guy with a mini van a sucker for listening to his wife. Then again, I'm not a muscle head or one that's quick to judge.

OP, if you want to get a bike rack, grab one. Just make sure that you carefully choose the mounting location and brand you want as nothing will ruin your day like a swinging component against a body panel. If you're careful and take your time mounting, dismounting, loading, and unloading, then I don't see why anyone should have a problem with it so long as it's not a permanent fixture.

If I was an avid biker I wouldn't invest in a $2000 beater that you still have to worry about dependability and regular maintenance. I also don't own a show car. I would invest in the bike rack.

My 2 cents

Quick Reply: Bike rack on a mustang?