Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

2005 - 2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by Latemodel Restoration

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 10-04-2011, 08:28 AM   #11
mrjlh1967

Vehicle: 2011 Mustang GT
Default Best Launch Technique for 11 GT 6sp Manua

YEs, I think the 60 foot was quite slow, I really had problems with the timing of the tree and found this especially true when i had someone else really loud next to me to the point i could nothear my own engine and gauge the rpm by sound alone. Best launch, that day at least was about 2800 with a slipped cutch and dropping the hammer just as the third yellow light fell. I have a set of new lowe control arms in the garage, have not had the time to install thm yet but will before the next event.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
Old 10-04-2011, 10:06 PM   #12
UPRSharad
Sponsor

Vehicle: 2011, Ford, Mustang GT
www.facebook.com/sraldiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjlh1967 View Post
YEs, I think the 60 foot was quite slow, I really had problems with the timing of the tree and found this especially true when i had someone else really loud next to me to the point i could nothear my own engine and gauge the rpm by sound alone. Best launch, that day at least was about 2800 with a slipped cutch and dropping the hammer just as the third yellow light fell. I have a set of new lowe control arms in the garage, have not had the time to install thm yet but will before the next event.
The best thing to do if you have a really loud car in the lane next to you is just to let him go. It doesn't matter if you have a 5 second reaction time. It won't affect your ET. Just let him go and then you can execute your launch strategy without the distraction!

Like us at www.facebook.com/TeamUPR
Follow us on Instagram @uprproducts
UPRSharad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:27 PM   #13
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2011 GT 5.0 Coyote
None, Facebook is the Devil! None, Twitter is for Twits! None, I hate it when my boss snoops the net about me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
Just like any other 385-400whp'ish s197 car with street tires and a manual. Dumping the clutch is bad instead rev it up and slip the clutch. Start around 3000rpm and work from there IMO. If it bogs then slip the clutch slower or raise the revs up higher.
Assuming the stock clutch from FoMoCo (a unit that is made in Turkey I think), at what point should one worry about glazing it? For example, if you have 600 BHP crank, to avoid glazing should you lower the RPM slipping?

Of course, if it fries and glazes, that would be the perfect opportunity to upgrade to an Exedy or some other better clutch meant to take such forces.

Squirrel of Death!
Do not **** off the SoD!!!!
JIM5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 02:20 PM   #14
UPRSharad
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIM5.0 View Post
Assuming the stock clutch from FoMoCo (a unit that is made in Turkey I think), at what point should one worry about glazing it? For example, if you have 600 BHP crank, to avoid glazing should you lower the RPM slipping?

Of course, if it fries and glazes, that would be the perfect opportunity to upgrade to an Exedy or some other better clutch meant to take such forces.
Well, you don't want to needlessly abuse your clutch... but for what it's worth, I went to the track with my buddy and his S197 earlier this year. I was coaching him on how to launch on DRs because he used to run bias ply tires previously. (60-foot times in the 1.80s on bias plies, IIRC) After several attempts, I finally had him doing good burnouts to get a little bit of white smoke, and he raised the launch rpm each pass until he eventually reached 5000rpms. He ran a 1.63 60-foot time on DRs with basically just a 4.10, control arms, DRs, a cold-air, and a tune.

At some point during the evening, he over slipped the clutch and it was smelling pretty strong. Regardless, it still worked well enough to keep making passes that night. I asked him about it a couple weeks ago (several months after our test and tune night) and he said the stock clutch was still hanging in there. (the car is his DD)

Cliff's notes: he abused the crap outta the stock clutch, even got it smelling pretty nasty, but it took a lickin' and kept on tickin'.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:56 PM   #15
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2011 GT 5.0 Coyote
None, Facebook is the Devil! None, Twitter is for Twits! None, I hate it when my boss snoops the net about me

That is good to know, but considering I too drive my car as a DD, I don't think I will be daring to slip my clutch at above 3K RPM, at least not until I have enough back cash saved up to buy an Exedy or Ram or other quality upgrade clutch.

When it comes to taking off at the line, I am still a total noob, so I know I will be upgrading the rear control arms and shocks for such events. I am so noobish right now that on the stock rear suspension, I still wheel hop like a bastard instead of taking of in a precise controlled and efficient manner.

Squirrel of Death!
Do not **** off the SoD!!!!
JIM5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:15 AM   #16
adidasUNT8
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 09 GT500
Send a message via AIM to adidasUNT8

Quote:
That is good to know, but considering I too drive my car as a DD, I don't think I will be daring to slip my clutch at above 3K RPM, at least not until I have enough back cash saved up to buy an Exedy or Ram or other quality upgrade clutch.

When it comes to taking off at the line, I am still a total noob, so I know I will be upgrading the rear control arms and shocks for such events. I am so noobish right now that on the stock rear suspension, I still wheel hop like a bastard instead of taking of in a precise controlled and efficient manner.
Jim... where in tx are you from and what track are you taking it to? I want to hit up a track sometime soon as well.

2006 Mustang GT - SOLD
2009 GT500 with some goodies - the stable
adidasUNT8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:24 PM   #17
UPRSharad
Sponsor

Quote:
Well, the UPR Products control arms will eliminate the wheel hop AND help you hook better. Plus, they're only $179 for the set of three with the MF discount. They're in the link I posted above.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:23 AM   #18
Minion
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 2011, Mustang Convertible GT
raging56
Send a message via AIM to Minion

Quote:

From all the research I have done you want Lower Control Arms. I installed mine and I could tell a difference right away on some hard street launches. I will know how they do on the track tomorrow night. (that is why I"m reading this thread)

Mods:
SVE Drift wheels
Nitto 555 tires
Barton Shifter
Roush Axlebacks
Diode Dynamic LED's & HID fog light conversion
Steeda CAI
SCT tuner with Bama tunes
Tinted lights all the way around
Minion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:37 AM   #19
dcarlinf1
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2011 GT Premium

I no longer have any wheel hop and I still have the stock LCA's.

Stock Pirelli's are gone and replaced with Nitto INVO's. Car is lowered a bit with Steeda Sport Springs and I am simply better at launching now.

Bottom line, you don't have to buy LCA's to eliminate wheel hop. I'm sure they help, but they aren't the be all, end all solution.
2011 GT Premium / Ingot Silver / Comfort Pkg / Brembo Pkg / 3.73 / SW off-road X pipe / Steeda Sport Springs / Koni STR.T struts and shocks / UMI adjustable panhard rod / DG Custom Louvers / Graphics Express Hood and Trunk Stripes / Steeda CAI / BAMA Tunes 89, 93, 93 (ghost cam)
dcarlinf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:04 AM   #20
BairdGT
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ford Mustang GT

What track do you goto?
What Times are you running with your mods?
How are you liking the Nitto's?
BairdGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:04 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
14, 2011, 6sp, car, gt, gt500, launch, lunach, manual, mile, mustang, rpm, shelby, sport, technique