Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gonna black out my wheels. Advice? expertise?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 11:37 PM
ThaiCobra
3rd Gear Member

Default Gonna black out my wheels. Advice? expertise?

I really like the black and red combo, so I'm gonna paint my wheels black.

i plan on sanding the wheels using a wire cup-brush and 100 grit sandpaper, then cleaning em, then painting em.

my questions include: what primers and paints should i use? also, should i do a clear coat or just leave em flat black?

any advice/expertise on this topic would be appreciated.

here is my car as it stands now:

Last edited by ThaiCobra; 09-28-2011 at 11:40 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:27 AM
Flat out
2nd Gear Member

That's a nice car and I sure wouldn't use 100 grit paper on those wheels, are they clear coated? if they are you could chem. etch the clear coat, and probably just paint. But, if you don't have a good paint gun I don't think a rattle can job is worth the effort. With the questions you asked I think you would be better off with a pro painter, and I don't think a two color paint job and clear coat would be cheap, but it might look cool, but what ever you do, don't hit those wheels with 100grit sand paper, or the wire brush for that matter.
My bad, I thought you were going to paint he wheels red and black.

Last edited by Flat out; 09-29-2011 at 12:29 AM.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:48 AM
omarV6
2nd Gear Member

nice timing lol, i just painted my bullit rims... DO NOT USE 100grit!!! you will damage your rims... use 1000grit, 1500 or 2000, pref 1500 grit...you also want to buy spray paint that adheres to metal, preferably use rustoleum wheel paint, it will say on the can that you can use it on wheels or that its made for wheels...this should all be in your local autozone or pepboys or whatever...
i like matte color better...it still has a nice feel to it, it shines a bit too, so its like a semi gloss, but without the (too much shine part) if i were you id get a piece of metal similar to your rims and experiment on that first...get a feel for all of it then when your ready on the look then go ahead and start on the wheels...if you mess up you can easily sand some more and do it over again...

my process was, Wash thoroughly- dry- wet sand with 1000Grit- wetsand with 1500 Grit- rinse rims- then apply paint (1st Coat)- Apply paint (second Coat)- then let dry- and lastly sit back and admire

for any more questions pm me...ill be more than happy to help
Old 09-29-2011, 03:44 PM
ThaiCobra
3rd Gear Member

okay okay. thanks for the tips guys. so no wire brush? I'll just use some 1000/1500 grit sandpaper. then wipe down, then spray. i was thinking primer, 2 coats of black, possible one coat of clear?

i live in an apartment complex, so i'll be painting these in the parking lot. can i just let these sit in the open air? or will the bugs/pollen land on the paint? i was thinking maybe i should shroud the wheels in plastic wrap in between coats.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:53 PM
Maraman
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ThaiCobra
okay okay. thanks for the tips guys. so no wire brush? I'll just use some 1000/1500 grit sandpaper. then wipe down, then spray. i was thinking primer, 2 coats of black, possible one coat of clear?

i live in an apartment complex, so i'll be painting these in the parking lot. can i just let these sit in the open air? or will the bugs/pollen land on the paint? i was thinking maybe i should shroud the wheels in plastic wrap in between coats.
I wouldn't wrap the wheels in plastic wrap, it could adhere to the wet wheel and stick to the paint when you are peeling it off, and ruin the paint. I would get as much cardboard as you can find, take the wheels outside and spray them on it so that you dont get it on the concrete, then take the wheels inside and let them dry in between coats on seperate pieces of cardboard or do it in your garage if you have one.

+1 on no clear coat
Old 09-29-2011, 05:15 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Wipe down with 90% alcohol or something similar to be sure they are thoroughly clean prior to paint! Good lick and keep us posted...be sure to wet sand and polish when finished for a smooth finish and i would do at least 3 coats. Using a self etching primer may also be a good idea. I would ask Pascal for info. He's about as knowledgeable as they get in the subject of painting mustangs.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:27 PM
ThaiCobra
3rd Gear Member

okay, so use the dupli-color self etching primer?
Old 09-29-2011, 05:55 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

I would, should help to keep the paint from peeling.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:58 PM
X3xMONGOOSEx3X
4th Gear Member

Powder coat them.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:05 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

^that would be your best option. probably could get it done for around $50 per wheel too!

Quick Reply: Gonna black out my wheels. Advice? expertise?