Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hot Rod Club

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 07:09 AM
D'prived
4th Gear Member

You don't need the spring compressor tool and I know a few people who've used a clean folded garden hose as a wedge tool.

There is also a guy on Moddedmustangs.com who will make a custom wedge tool that works really well for $45.00 shipped. Guy goes by Anthony05GT.

Last edited by D'prived; 10-04-2011 at 07:13 AM.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:59 PM
09cs
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MELLOWYELLOW06
I would be all over those if I wasnt getting stopped all the time out here in Cali.
I thought the hot rods were CARB legal?
Old 10-05-2011, 10:28 PM
robs
3rd Gear Member

Let the games begin! Time to get serious. Probably about 2 weeks from now it should be going... "whumpity, whumipty, whumpity"....

Old 10-06-2011, 12:54 AM
Hack Job
2nd Gear Member

Dont forget 2 new phaser bolts. They're one time use only.
PN: 3L3Z-6279-DA
Old 10-06-2011, 11:49 AM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

^^^ What he said. They're torque to yield (TTY) bolts.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:10 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by robs

Probably about 2 weeks from now it should be going... "whumpity, whumipty, whumpity"....

wonderful!
Old 10-22-2011, 08:53 PM
robs
3rd Gear Member

Oh Hell Yeah!

Took all day, but mainly cause I was stupid and read the instructions wrong for the spring compressor.. Instructions were fine, I was derp...

Whumpity, Whumpity, Whumpity!!! Seat of the pants is nice too... Mid range feels much stronger??? Gotta love the way it grabs and shakes the car at idle...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2Yg9iT77DE
Old 10-23-2011, 10:41 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

the car sounds great robs! congrats on a successful install.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:07 PM
robs
3rd Gear Member

Update. Been about 3 weeks.... 1000+ miles...

Not for everyone! So far, I'm totally diggin it... Pretty sure I still will once the honeymoon is over..

Pros:

Sound is 100% completely sick. I got the idle about 750... When driving around town, I turn off the stereo just to be able to listen to the beautiful music coming out the pipes...

The "shake" while idling makes me smile. Really considering putting in a shaker scoop, but I can't take a saw to the hood... Something about the shaker really don't work with the 05-09 Stangs (to my taste, as I had one in a 70 that worked well)...

Mid range power is definitely improved by the seat-o-the-pants meter. This is the 3000-4500rpm range. Don't really feel difference above that, but it could be there... This mid range improvement worth the cash? Absolutely. Worth the cash for the friggin idle, performance is just icing on the cake.

Exhaust noise has increased (pro for me)... Definitely louder with the boom tubes... close to "too loud" in cold open loop mode. That's saying something.

Cons (all minor):

Idle can be a bit annoying with tranny noise. Anything below 750, the lope while in neutral with the clutch out makes lots of tranny noise from just the normal slop in the tranny (back and forth slop). Don't think it hurts anything, but it's just annoying. Pushing in the clutch, popping in gear, taking out of gear and releasing the clutch helps, but not all the time.

Not a huge drop in fuel economy. Right at 2mpg... My normal back to work was around 21-23... now about 19-21.. Worst tank so far was 16.5mpg (all around town driving & about 2mpg less than before)... Haven't taken a real road trip... usually I average 26-27... think it will be closer to 23-24 based on just resetting the computer while in the interstate.. Again. Not a huge hit.

The exhaust stinks. Rotten eggs and gunpowder stink... Most everyone reports this. Guess the cats have a hard time keeping up with the extra fuel. I'm just now getting to the point of liking the smell.. Guess it's a acquired taste. :P

There is "some" loss of low end torque. When in open loop mode (engine cold) it was bad before, not it's "close" to being a problem (I leave for work at 5:30 am and don't wanna wake neighbors.. tough to launch below 2,000rpm on very first take off, ok after that... kill it and it's a pain to restart)..... Closed loop, not a big deal (can't really take off in 2nd like I used too on a rolling stop, but it's close).. I used to like to idle through parking lots... anything above 1200rpm is zero problem... below this, it can buck a bit... just drop down 1 gear from normal and it's happy (idle down the street in 2nd @ 1200 and not 3rd @ 800 like I used to).. I don't really get stuck in stop and go.. what little I have hasn't been an issue (1200 rpm is happy)..
Old 11-11-2011, 09:29 PM
kevilay
2nd Gear Member

id love to cam up my car. post up some clips after

Quick Reply: Hot Rod Club