Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 07:34 AM
LostBoyz
4th Gear Member

If you want to drive a mustang that looks like an old mustang, go buy an old mustang. Cars weren't good then because they looked like cars older than they were. I am so sick of "retro" styling, we live in a modern age with its own design influences, design something new. It's like remaking an old movie, sure it might be good because it's a good story, but I am still going to like the original better and I would rather have something new and original.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:10 AM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

I still can't believe you don't like foxbodies man...what is wrong with you!? lol
Old 10-04-2011, 08:15 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by LostBoyz
If you want to drive a mustang that looks like an old mustang, go buy an old mustang. Cars weren't good then because they looked like cars older than they were. I am so sick of "retro" styling, we live in a modern age with its own design influences, design something new. It's like remaking an old movie, sure it might be good because it's a good story, but I am still going to like the original better and I would rather have something new and original.

That's fine and dandy and good in my opinion as long as they DON'T get rid of the entire look of the Mustang. Through its years it has changed but excluding a few body styles (that most Mustang enthusiasts did not like), the Mustang has for the most part, always looked LIKE a Mustang.

I agree Ford should veer away from the retro look and go with something new but I DONT agree with it being something that looks COMPLETELY different than a Mustang.

If they were to do that, they just need to name the car something else.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:21 AM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tightdogal
Personally though, as long as they make a coupe with Mustang cues on it (hockey stick, triple tail lights, 2+2, aggressive headlights) then it will be a Mustang.
This^^^
Old 10-04-2011, 08:28 AM
tightdogal
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by LostBoyz

Agreed 100%.

Also, last time I checked. The "modern" Mustangs sold VERY well. The 99-04 Generation sold more than the 05-09 generation, iirc. The retro Mustang only sold well in 05 and 06...after that, sales died down. Speaking from a business standpoint, it would make no sense for Ford to continue making something that didn't sell too well.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:33 AM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

I'm really hoping they go back to their roots ONLY in terms of size. It would be nice to have a smaller stang with a beefy engine!! And as long as it's nothing like the Mustang II I'll probably like it.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:38 AM
LostBoyz
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
That's fine and dandy and good in my opinion as long as they DON'T get rid of the entire look of the Mustang. Through its years it has changed but excluding a few body styles (that most Mustang enthusiasts did not like), the Mustang has for the most part, always looked LIKE a Mustang.

I agree Ford should veer away from the retro look and go with something new but I DONT agree with it being something that looks COMPLETELY different than a Mustang.

If they were to do that, they just need to name the car something else.
Of course every brand (and even cars in this case) have indentifiers. Some can be changed (C6 vette ditching pop-up headlamps), but you need something to continue the legacy. So, pony badge, taillights and general roofline, you can do so much with that. I love my car, because it is actually an evolution of the retro, but I would like to see them move further away from it. Ford has some excellent designers, let's see what they can come up with.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:56 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bakerjd
I still can't believe you don't like foxbodies man...what is wrong with you!? lol
It's not that I don't like fox bodies. Just that they are so far from anything even remotely Mustang-esque, I have a hard time accepting them as Mustangs. They are kind of cool in their own way, and they can be built up like crazy, but they just don't feel like Mustangs. Again, not knocking any of the fox body guys, I just am not a huge fan. BTW, when I say fox bodies, I am not referring to the 94+ Mustangs. Just to clarify.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:14 PM
White05GT
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tightdogal
Agreed 100%.

Also, last time I checked. The "modern" Mustangs sold VERY well. The 99-04 Generation sold more than the 05-09 generation, iirc. The retro Mustang only sold well in 05 and 06...after that, sales died down. Speaking from a business standpoint, it would make no sense for Ford to continue making something that didn't sell too well.
That's also about the time the economy tanked and all car sales were way down. Not just Mustangs.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:18 PM
White05GT
3rd Gear Member

Just saw this link on a different site.

https://mustangforums.com/articles/i...t&utm_campaign

Quick Reply: 2014 Mustang