Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SERIOUS Gas Mileage Problems - 200miles out of a Tank!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 07:28 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

I only get around 200 miles out of a tank...... I have a 93 tune, but is 200 really that awful?

Anyway, you might have a problem with the code in the computer itself. Getting a tune would probably correct that, as they are sending a whole new set of code into the computer, and even if it doesn't fix it, now you have a tune!
Old 10-07-2011, 09:52 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I don't know how you guyz use "miles per tank" as an accurate, meaningful value. Unless you're running those 16 gallons and emptying the tank, who the hell can you compare miles per tank? The only tried and true method is hand calculating. As lifter583 stated, you need a known distance under the assumption that the odometer is incorrect. The # of gallons is a known value so with 2 known parts of the equation, you have a legit and accurate result. As I've belabored before, "miles per tank" is a meaningless method of determining what's up with your fuel mileage.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:56 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangFirstCar
I only get around 200 miles out of a tank...... I have a 93 tune, but is 200 really that awful? ...
A tank is 16 gallons. 200 miles/16 gallons = 12.5 mpg

Yeah, that sucks not only for a 6 but for a GT, too.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:09 PM
aero86
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by modru2004
no kidding! really !! lol....

i used wheel size as a simple example. if you had actually read my post you would notice that i said i was leaving out certain things like tire size to simplify the point i was making because i had no idea what his tire size was at the time.

and yes the wheel size DOES matter. its part of the equation. if you run 235/50/18 and then put on 235/50/20 your diameter just increased. but yes if you go to a smaller profile tire that has the same overall diameter as your previous setup, then ya your right. but generally going to a larger wheel your going to have some increase, even if its only slight. is this true all the time no its not.
but you can't make the statement that everyone always goes with the same over all diameter either.
now your just being picky. lol but your both right. tire size is all that matters, rim size helps you determine the height of said tire.

also, tire width can effect it too. more resistance, also, is the wheel/tire combo heavier than the stockers you took off? there are soo many little things that could add up. and idk what my mileage is in my car. i just fill it up when it gets low and try to keep my foot out of the gas at every stop light
Old 10-07-2011, 10:25 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

On both our '06 V6 and '07 GT (and also on my DD SUV), mileage varies greatly going from mostly highway to mostly city ( or any stop and go) driving. Even our V6 will only average about 15 mpg in strictly city driving, hand calculated. Mostly steady state and that goes up to 26+ mpg. My GT varies about the same variance but about 1-2 mpg less overall. I think you need to hand-calculate and compare that to ONLY others that drive similiar traffic. Heck, I drive 25 miles one-way to work and the week that I hit a few more traffic lights than normal my mileage for that week will drop almost 2 mpg, easy.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:38 AM
bigmike06gt
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
A tank is 16 gallons. 200 miles/16 gallons = 12.5 mpg

Yeah, that sucks not only for a 6 but for a GT, too.
That really sucks!! My 06 GT averages 18mpg driving to and from work(mostly highway) but on my trip up the Oregon coast and running around the Seattle area I was averaging 23-25mpgs hand calculated over 4-5 tanks. My dash readout was reading I had approx. 325 miles till empty each time I filled up.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:00 AM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Nuke, I dunno where you got 16 gallons from, but I'll assume you are right on that. However, my fillups are ALWAYS 14 gallons. Literally every fillup ends up taking 14 gallons, and I am on the E when I fill up. So for me it is more 200 miles / 14 gallons = 14-15 mpg, which still sucks for a 6.

In case you guys have no seen this video......

Old 10-08-2011, 11:51 AM
Toxix
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
On both our '06 V6 and '07 GT (and also on my DD SUV), mileage varies greatly going from mostly highway to mostly city ( or any stop and go) driving. Even our V6 will only average about 15 mpg in strictly city driving, hand calculated. Mostly steady state and that goes up to 26+ mpg. My GT varies about the same variance but about 1-2 mpg less overall. I think you need to hand-calculate and compare that to ONLY others that drive similiar traffic. Heck, I drive 25 miles one-way to work and the week that I hit a few more traffic lights than normal my mileage for that week will drop almost 2 mpg, easy.
Guess I'll have to look at this front a different point of view, still going to need it calibrated, gets the plugs out, start there, then look into everything else.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:55 AM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

im just gonna point out that i get 200 miles a tank and when i fill up i put in around 14.5 gallons every time. thats mostly bc baton rouge sucks for driving, especially around LSU. i all depends on the conditions you drive in bc when i go back to houston i get significantly better gas mileage bc the lights are better programmed and i dont have to stop at every single damn light
Old 10-09-2011, 01:19 AM
HenryinFlorida
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by modru2004
no kidding! really !! lol....

i used wheel size as a simple example. if you had actually read my post you would notice that i said i was leaving out certain things like tire size to simplify the point i was making because i had no idea what his tire size was at the time.

and yes the wheel size DOES matter. its part of the equation. if you run 235/50/18 and then put on 235/50/20 your diameter just increased. but yes if you go to a smaller profile tire that has the same overall diameter as your previous setup, then ya your right. but generally going to a larger wheel your going to have some increase, even if its only slight. is this true all the time no its not.
but you can't make the statement that everyone always goes with the same over all diameter either.
Yes, but what I said was...27 inches is 27 inches, weather the tire is mounted on a 17, 18 or 20 inch rim...... and that fact still hold true. you can forget about teh rim size. You need to focus on the Tire diameter

Quick Reply: SERIOUS Gas Mileage Problems - 200miles out of a Tank!