Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally back on the road course with my Boss 302

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 11:46 AM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

looks awesome. im hitting up MSR in houston on thursday for red meat and race fuel itll be my 1st time on the course with other drivers, so hopefully my slow *** doesnt mess anything up for other ppl.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:51 AM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Soldier GT
Man that looks like a blast! Like everyone else has said, I wish I had something like that around here!
well, "around here" is relative. Texas is giant, that track is almost 4 hours each way from me so it's a haul, but well worth it. i love to roll up in a car, get out and do nothing but unload, check air pressures, and click the shocks and then go out and smoke cars in the group running slicks, swapping wheels, and talking trash. My instructor said on the third session when i dropped him off to grab his next ride "man this car is a beast, It so fun to ride in I can only imagine the drive." I offered to let him take some laps, he was too worried about breaking something though.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:54 AM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tigercrazy718
looks awesome. im hitting up MSR in houston on thursday for red meat and race fuel itll be my 1st time on the course with other drivers, so hopefully my slow *** doesnt mess anything up for other ppl.
I want to hit that track too, and cresson, and texas world speedway. I really love ECR though, its a great track to learn on since its tight and technical with some relatively fast straights. you get a mix of everything rather than a few turns and 150mph straights. ECR also has some significant elevation changes with a couple corners you have to commit to before you can actually see the turns. that's when the testicular fortitude is tested. video doesn't do the course justice.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:09 PM
Roy_R
4th Gear Member

Looks like you can be significantly faster if you hug the outside of the turn, stay there a bit longer and then cut hard to the apex....this will help you to maintain speed through the corners. In addition, don't look at the cars ahead of you, look at the track, focus way down the track, let your peripheral vision deal with the traffic infront of you!

PS. Keep it smooth, doing great, car sounds awesome!

Last edited by Roy_R; 10-10-2011 at 01:11 PM.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:32 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Roy_R
Looks like you can be significantly faster if you hug the outside of the turn, stay there a bit longer and then cut hard to the apex....this will help you to maintain speed through the corners. In addition, don't look at the cars ahead of you, look at the track, focus way down the track, let your peripheral vision deal with the traffic infront of you!

PS. Keep is smooth, doing great, car sounds awesome!

the problem that particular day was that i had the incident where i thought i was going to hit the Atom when he braked hard in session one. i decided it was wise to give the smaller cars a wider berth. i tried starting closer to the back of the pack but that didn't help much. i ended up watching the cars closer when i was moving up for a pass than i needed and that kept me from committing. That GoPro on 720p gives a distortion to distances too, I'm closer than it looks to many of those cars. for instance on that back stretch at 120-ish i was roughly 1.5 lengths back from the cars in front and it looks like they are way ahead of me.

the mopar guys were nice, we talked a lot before session one, not so much later after we ran a bit. that was the first time i was on track with mopars. No idea what years those cars were, but they were all SRT8 models. the only car that was roughly even on the fast straights was the m3, he said the car had about 400whp so we were roughly the same with it being lighter than me. i could gain on him, but slowly so i generally caught him in the corners.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:35 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

I understand what you mean about going against everything you've learned about driving. Just watching the vids with the elevation changes and turns. Looks very nerve racking. Would take time to get use to it. As with anything, you get better with more seat time. 4 hour drive each way......now that's commitment. Awesome Shane, keep it up.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:14 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

Looks awesome....your the right kind of boss owner!!
Old 10-10-2011, 10:53 PM
chris09
2nd Gear Member

very nice. does your GoPro have the 1080 mode? mine should be in soon. im very impressed with the videos i have seen. what mounting system you using and are you using the open back case for these runs? keep tearin it up.
Old 10-11-2011, 03:36 AM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by chris09
very nice. does your GoPro have the 1080 mode? mine should be in soon. im very impressed with the videos i have seen. what mounting system you using and are you using the open back case for these runs? keep tearin it up.
it has higher res modes, but the 1080 gives everything a fisheye distortion. yes its the open back case. i like to use it in side the car since you can here the instructor so if i need a refresh i can go back and see what he said at places on the track.