Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

poor paint job

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 08:08 PM
ThaiCobra
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by pascal
Let's see...

A quart of quality paint (base coat only) like PPG, Diamont, Dupont etc... runs around $100 nowadays and you need close to that amount for 2 fenders and a hood (unless you only need blend on those fenders)...
Then you add the cost of the clear, reducers, catalyst and other materials like tape and you get to about $200 in materials for that job, lol.
With only $350 on the shop quote, so much for profit!

Because of that, I can assure you that you got the cheapest materials available on your car and you barely have two coats of clear on it.
It means that after one Summer of heat exposure, you will be back to square one.
I'm also scared to ask you about the match as cheap paints don't have enough toners to get a decent match.

A REAL shop would charge $500 for the hood alone, so now you understand your dilemma.

Also for further references, a shop that doesn't have a paint booth is to be avoided...

Sorry to say, it's a redo (by someone else of course).

fuuuuuuuuu....

how can i test how much clear they put down? the paint has that fractal look, where the reflections are all geometric, not smooth like a mirror.

what should i say to these guys when i return it on Monday? is there anyone i can threaten to contact if they don't do it correctly?
Old 10-12-2011, 09:56 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

That "fractal look" is called orange peel and it is due to bad prep and lack of wetsanding, mostly. You can test the paint thickness with a paint thickness gauge you can probably pick up at autozone or napa or some such. Realistically you are probably out that 350 bucks unless you wanna keep the ****ty job. You can demand to have it redone but after the 2nd or 3rd time repainting they will just say screw it you are on your own, and I guarantee you they will just keep doing the same ****ty job. You can't really do anything to threaten them either. Taking it to a real shop and paying the 1K-1.5K that it will likely cost is probably about the only option you have. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you really did get screwed.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:52 AM
Art161
4th Gear Member

If you have the bucks, take the car to a decent shop. Tell them what happened, and see if they agree that it is a poor job. Ask them to give you a detailed, signed, written statement as to the problems. Take plenty of photos. Have the job done correctly and sue the other shop in small claims court for the amount you paid the other shop.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:26 AM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

You're getting what you paid for. No need to sue unless the shop garunteed you some quality level of the finish. Sounds like you're getting every penny worth of 350.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:54 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

+1 you get what you paid for and its unfortunate. The paint job you got sounds like a Maaco paint job! And like others said $350 is cheap as hell to paint fenders and a hood! If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is!
Old 10-13-2011, 12:11 PM
White05GT
3rd Gear Member

I agree you get what you pay for. I paid 300 just to have a new rear bumper cover painted and it was off the car. They did an excellent job though.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:18 PM
STANGNWV4

you get what you pay for.....they can fix rock chips also. i had $150 in fixing rock chips on a hood on a Nissan Titan. You got a good deal, take what you got before it gets worse.

only other option might be the Better Business Bureau. probably wont do any good, the shop provided a service and you paid. there is no harm done there, plus they made an attempt to fix the problems you brought to their attention.

If you have the stuff to work with, a little wet sanding and buffing might help some.

Pictures would be nice.......Good Luck!
Old 10-13-2011, 09:10 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by ThaiCobra
fuuuuuuuuu....

how can i test how much clear they put down? the paint has that fractal look, where the reflections are all geometric, not smooth like a mirror.

what should i say to these guys when i return it on Monday? is there anyone i can threaten to contact if they don't do it correctly?
You don't need to do any test to figured out how much clear they put down.
Because you have schitty materials for one, and not enough of it for second, trust me.
I paint cars for a living, I know this.
Wet sanding and buffing will not work either, because with that much trash and orange peel in that paint job, you'll have to remove too much clear to correct all this and thus, having not enough left to withstand the element.

Listen, I don't mean to be an *** and being negative towards you... You got into a bad scenario with that shop and you have little chances to get satisfaction with them since they're a bunch of amateurs.
I wouldn't let those idiots even wash my car! LOL.
My advice to you, is cut your loss and go prospect a couple of other shops and see if they say the same thing I told you.
Don't take my words like it's gold necessarily, just ask other professionals and compare...

When you go about on checking other shops, look around the place and check if you can spot any fresh painted cars that they did and see if you like the results.
Do a little prevention this time.
Also, anything cheaper than $800 for a redo, don't bother.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:20 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

+1 on the 800 dollar things pascal. No way I would let someone touch 3 panels for less then 1K.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:30 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by Art161
...... Have the job done correctly and sue the other shop in small claims court for the amount you paid the other shop.
Doesn't work that way.
Once you have the car repainted, there is no more evidence of the previous bad job.
So it has to be done before if you want to go to small claims and you'll find out that the Judge (if it goes that far) will tell you to have the Jokers retry their paint job, so you're back to square one.
Another thing, if the OP didn't sign a work order, there's no court case as you can't prove you had them work on your car.

Quick Reply: poor paint job