Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 Mustang GT with 68k miles

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 02:59 AM
deputy743

Default 2006 Mustang GT with 68k miles

Ok, I don't know much about cars.... I am wanting to get into a Mustang GT. I've wanted one for quite some time but it really wasn't pratical with my prior job. Now, it is. I can't go get a new 2011 or 2012 due to price.... I'm a cop and the commisioners only like to give themselves raises. Anyway, I'm looking at a 2006 Mustang GT with 68K miles on it. Everything is still stock and it is in very good condition on the outside. The price tag is 15.5k. I do plan on doing some upgrages to it (i.e.. cold air intake, exhaust..). I know there is no way to know the real history of it but is 68k miles ok to start out with or should i just bite the bullet and get a lil newer one?
Old 10-19-2011, 04:42 AM
kput
4th Gear Member

68 isn't too bad. Make sure you check the car out really well. Make sure it's in good shape. Has gotten all of it's maintenance etc.
I'd also try and talk them down on the price if you can. ( pm me for some good tips on that)
Old 10-19-2011, 05:06 AM
robs
3rd Gear Member

If taken care of, they'll live a long and happy life. I never buy new. Let someone else take the depreciation hit... I've got an 06 with 75k on it and only had to replace the pinion seal as the only non-maint item. There's plenty of guys 100k+ here

Think about an 07 or 08 as they're a little less prone to water leaks and some other hickups. Buy from a person and not a dealer and you'll save a ton. You should get a nice one for that price range.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:19 AM
pinn
2nd Gear Member

Pull a carfax and then pull the trigger. I got my 06 for 16k out the door with slightly lower miles and have had no issues other than replacing the battery and a ton of cleaning.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:42 AM
TheYeti
2nd Gear Member

yeah the 4.6L are pretty stout and so is the transmission. With 68k and if its been taken care of, you should be fine.

They are great cars. I had an 08 GT. If I wasnt planning on getting a 5.0, I would still have it.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:51 AM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Mileage shouldn't be an issue. There's a few members here with S197 GTs with close to 200k (if not more by now). Check the carfax and the car over and then if everything checks out, go for it!
Old 10-19-2011, 09:59 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

I am a member of Ford Performace Club of Atlanta (FPCOA), and a club member has a 2006 GT with 106K miles and has no issues!
As you may already know, the used car prices have inflated due to people buying used over new vehicles. Try and bargain the price down a bit, never hurts. ;-)
Where are you in GA?
Good luck!
Old 10-19-2011, 12:14 PM
edcologne
2nd Gear Member

first off thank you for keeping us all a bit safer

milage itself wouldn't be an issue for me, i got my 06 w 40k early this year, now have 47k, no mentionable issues, lots of tlc

depending on who is selling it any information of its previous life would be good. private parties or ford dealers may have maintenence records etc, carfax and alike (if not offered anyway by the seller) is fairly cheap.
i'd prefer a vehicle well equipped and in my favorite color w higher milage over say a less (factory) equip or a color that is not my favorite with lower mls.
that said i would pay a little more for less mls as long as we compare apples to apples.
as far as aftermarket "upgrades" or "mods" on a used car i'd be careful, i prefer a stock, clean baseline as you describe this one.
in that price range there should be a good variety out there.

and as it has been said before, i rather have someone else take the big depreciation hit of a new car, besides, just my personal taste is with the 05-09, the newer ones are not for me.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:24 PM
deputy743

Hey, thanks for the info. I live in Towne Lake, Woodstock. I plan on getting the mustang in a month or two after i save up a good down payment. I'll have to get with you on the FPCOA when the time comes.
Old 10-19-2011, 03:14 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Out of all the Mustangs I own and have owned I have to say I'm extremely impressed with my 08. Rides smooth (compared to my 95 anyways) and has a nice amount of power. Only thing is the car is set up so well that you don't get the same "seat of your pants feel" as you will with older Mustangs. But don't let that fool you, look at the speedo and you'll see just how fast you're accellerating.

Only down sides are that being newer they are more expensive to repair/mod, and the ECUs are overly sensitive so you will need a tuner for almost any mod.

Other than that I have no complaints. Just pull the car fax and make sure everything is golden.

Quick Reply: 2006 Mustang GT with 68k miles