Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remote start?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 01:24 PM
mlager8
1st Gear Member

Default Remote start?

I am picking up my new 2010 gt from the dealer on Monday, when I asked about alarms they said they had a standard viper alarm for $595. When I asked which model it was he said it's a dealer model and wouldn't be on the viper website. I also asked it had remote start, he said no, you can't do a remote start on a stick with out a lot of complications and it wouldn't be practical...
I know for sure I've seen viper alarm/remote start combos on manuals before. What does everyone think of this? Anyone have one? If so were there complications and what was the cost?
It would be nice to have the alarm, dealer installed and ready when I come pick it up, but this guy seems a little shady or un-knowledgable
Old 10-22-2011, 01:48 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

He is an idiot. They do them all the time. I wouldn't go to the dealer for anything other than picking a car up that I purchased.
Old 10-22-2011, 02:45 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

+1
dealers are idiots
simple reed switch and magnet on the shifter
indicating the it is in neutral and a parking
brake interlock (standard) is all thats needed.

READ THIS POST AND THEN DECIDE

$600 for a standard viper with no remote start capabilities is a rip-off....
Old 10-23-2011, 02:22 AM
mlager8
1st Gear Member

Thanks for both your replies, I called around to local viper dealers and it seems I can get a top of the line viper with remote start for between $550 and $650 installed.
I guess used car salesmen have a reputation for a reason...

And holy ****, that post about the dealer rolling the GT into a lake is complete insanity
Old 10-23-2011, 03:33 PM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mlager8
And holy ****, that post about the dealer rolling the GT into a lake is complete insanity
Referenced quite a bit by many. He had one installed not made for a manual and bypassed the safeties. Not exactly a got what he deserved ending, but without stating to the guy what the deal was before handing over the keys....well..

Alot of other choices to be had as well. See this thread. Last few pages have some model #'s and how they actually work that are designed with a manual transmission in mind. Took forever to get an informed response even here, as the majority of the responses were "don't do it! I'll sploosh!" in reference to that other thread.

The best one IMO was the 2-way that made you exit the vehicle while it was running for the remote start to actually function later for use(get out, use remote to lock doors, car shuts down, set for remote starting). So short of being broken into without the alarm going off and it being put into gear, it's about as fool-proof as possible. If I wasn't so house-poor I'd like to install one myself sometime, going to suck again soon going out at 6am in 20degree weather...meh.

Last edited by wayne613; 10-23-2011 at 04:00 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:52 AM
mlager8
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by wayne613
Last few pages have some model #'s and how they actually work that are designed with a manual transmission in mind.

The best one IMO was the 2-way that made you exit the vehicle while it was running for the remote start to actually function later for use(get out, use remote to lock doors, car shuts down, set for remote starting).
Havent investigated the thread you mentioned yet, but it seems the viper 5901 (the one I've been quoted from viper dealers) Is the only viper that they will install on a manual. It is a 2 way RF remote like you mentioned also.

And yeah I live in new york so It's getting pretty cold already, getting into my frigid car with fogged up windshield every morning is about the best motivation possible to get this thing.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:42 AM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Havent investigated the thread you mentioned yet, but it seems the viper 5901 (the one I've been quoted from viper dealers) Is the only viper that they will install on a manual. It is a 2 way RF remote like you mentioned also.
Examples:
This and this.

Note on each page:
"Manual transmission mode" or "Manual transmission safe". These are actually sanctioned to be installed on a manual with the proper setup, and will be safe. The Clifford was the one I was thinking about installing, but I think both are now owned by the Viper parent company, they just keep the name so they can get the sales off them that they would have previously.

Keep in mind our car's PAT(Passive Anti-Theft) system requires you to either clone a key and use a module, or sacrifice a key all-together for remote-starting, AT or MT.

Last edited by wayne613; 10-24-2011 at 10:22 AM.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:52 AM
Mr.Bape
4th Gear Member

I too would like to inquire about this since I have a manual as well and NY winters can be brutal.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:52 AM
mlager8
1st Gear Member

Ugh, I forgot all about needing an extra key...
How much do they run?
My friends audi costs something like $220 for a new key...meh
Old 10-25-2011, 08:17 AM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Ugh, I forgot all about needing an extra key...
How much do they run?
My friends audi costs something like $220 for a new key...meh
Frankly, don't know why many do this. Probably, much like the dealer, they simply don't know any better. So I wouldn't be too hard on 'em, as I said, took a long bit to get a non-kneejerk response from here even, in regards to this.

I'd go with a bypass module. This one is proven to work with 0 problems, just have both keys on hand to program it. This keeps the system intact overall, encryption and all, and your extra key out of being scraped or permanently mounted inside the car. Of course a pro thief can get by this without much time added, but any method is going to give this risk. The installer of course will probably charge an extra $100 or so to do any of these, I'd check to make sure they're including this cost in their estimate.

As you said, the Viper 5901 is probably the one they were quoting, as it's one of the few Viper remote starts that has a manual transmission mode. I really hate the idea of "rechargable" remotes though. Much like pure communism, great in theory, sucks hairy nad in practice.

If I could find one that had the base features of that Viper, the extra few of the Clifford's(including a PC programming interface via USB), and the one Python offering of a camera that sent a set of pictures upon the alarm going off in intervals, I'd say screw it and take a loan to install one myself tomorrow. Annoys me a bit, as all 3 of those are owned now by the Viper parent company, but no uber-offering is there yet. Bastiges!

I can't remember how much our keys are off-hand. There's a decent number of threads in relation to that though, and can be programmed without the dealer, so long as you have the original 2. The sequence to program them is in quite a few of those threads here as well. Easily found with a relevant search.

Just to help along the process, you can print out and give the installer some relevant docs provided by oldsch00lf00l from the a/v section. The12volt.com will also have additional info should it be required, as your S197 is a 2010, I can't recall if they have the same wiring as the 05-09, or use the 11-12's usual diagrams for the SJB and such.

Last edited by wayne613; 10-25-2011 at 09:00 AM.