Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New HID install, resistor getting HOT ???

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 02:14 PM
eddypython
3rd Gear Member

Default New HID install, resistor getting HOT ???

So I'm stumped here. Hopefully someone knows the answer tho this.

I buy a new HID kit. The foglights work perfectly. no flaws there. The headlights after I install them I notice that they flicker. I said ok let me google that issue. Aparently it needed a resistor. I contact the vendor and he sends me a resistor that I hook up to the stock harness right before it hooks up to the HID plug. Flickering problem solved.

Biggest issue though. That resistor gets so HOT, it will give you third degree burns if you touch it. The heat starts to go down the wire after about 5 minutes as well. Now, I'm no electrician, but I think that is anything electrical get HOT, there's a problem. I called the vendor on it and he said it's normal because that's what those things are supposed to do. I checked my switchback LED transistors and low and belhold, those suckers are getting hot too when operated. I am pretty stumped here as google search yelded me a bunch of conflicting answers. Some say they are supposed to get hot and I need to attach them to the sheetmetal of the car to help dissapate the heat, others say exactly what I think, that it's not normal to head up like that. I can see a bit warm, ok maybe a bit hot, but not hot enough to have the heat going down the wire.. Can someone help out with this ?? I'm wanting to say screw this and return the kits if I don't find a fix. Thx