Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone using Flowmaster 50 Series Delta Flows?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 07:17 PM
SD 197
2nd Gear Member

Default Anyone using Flowmaster 50 Series Delta Flows?

I've reached that point that every Mustang owner goes through, which exhaust? Or more accurately, which muffler?

I've narrowed it down to Flowmaster 40 Deltas or 50 Deltas. I've searched around, and I haven't gotten much info from 50 series owners.

With my convertible, I am worried about the droning issue with the 40 series at highway speeds, since I commute 50 miles a day.

My muffler shop charges $275 for the 40 series installed out the door, and $300 for the 50 series. I think the 50 series are close to the 60 series in sound, which are used on the American Thunder after axle kit a lot of people have.

So if you got Flowmaster 50 series, how do you like them, is their droning?
Old 11-09-2011, 08:22 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

actually the axle backs are either 50 series or 40 series
the round case is 50, the square one is 40.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Flowmaster/389...rentProductId=

http://www.jegs.com/i/Flowmaster/389...d=#moreDetails
Old 11-09-2011, 08:35 PM
OhEightGT
2nd Gear Member

Depends. I've been through the following exhausts...

SLP loudmouths (the car was bone stock aside from that, these sound awesome on a stock GT but once the mods start coming, namely longtubes and offroad pipes, they sound god-awful to me personally)

Flowmaster 40 series "American Thunder" axlebacks, fully modded, it was LOUD and raspy, but sounded great after I put some resonators before the mufflers to get rid of the hillbilly slap sound. They got VERY annoying though with massive drone, so...

Moved to Flowmaster 50 series... A little quieter, too quiet to be honest, but the drone was still there, not fair!

What RPM range do you hang out in on the highway? That will let me/others tell you right now if you're going to have drone with the 40 or 50 or even 60 series. (They are all the same, just the higher the series, the quieter they get. And Delta Flows of any series are A LOT quieter.)

Moved to Borla Stingers. Perfect blend. Very deep rumble, very nice shape to the tone at all RPM ranges, zero drone, and has gotten more compliments than any other setup I have had. It's loud, but quiet when you want. And it's loud without losing the shape in it's tone. Very throaty, sounds like it is snarling. But it's also one of the more expensive, and a lot of people don't care for it!

It all comes down to personal preference at the end of the day. None of them give gains when you're talking just the muffler or axlebacks, but people's taste in the way they sound varies greatly! I love the Flowmaster sound and was sorry to see them go. But for the RPM ranges I see in my daily driving, the drone was just... too much for me.

Last edited by OhEightGT; 11-09-2011 at 08:40 PM.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:44 PM
SD 197
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by onederful100
actually the axle backs are either 50 series or 40 series
the round case is 50, the square one is 40.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Flowmaster/389...rentProductId=

http://www.jegs.com/i/Flowmaster/389...d=#moreDetails
Cool, I didn't know the 50 series existed in the axle back kit. The kit I was talking about is on American Muscle http://www.americanmuscle.com/flowma...ck-0510gt.html

So Flowmaster covered the 40, 50, 60 axle backs for the S197, nice.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:47 PM
SD 197
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by OhEightGT
Depends. I've been through the following exhausts...

SLP loudmouths (the car was bone stock aside from that, these sound awesome on a stock GT but once the mods start coming, namely longtubes and offroad pipes, they sound god-awful to me personally)

Flowmaster 40 series "American Thunder" axlebacks, fully modded, it was LOUD and raspy, but sounded great after I put some resonators before the mufflers to get rid of the hillbilly slap sound. They got VERY annoying though with massive drone, so...

Moved to Flowmaster 50 series... A little quieter, too quiet to be honest, but the drone was still there, not fair!

What RPM range do you hang out in on the highway? That will let me/others tell you right now if you're going to have drone with the 40 or 50 or even 60 series. (They are all the same, just the higher the series, the quieter they get. And Delta Flows of any series are A LOT quieter.)

Moved to Borla Stingers. Perfect blend. Very deep rumble, very nice shape to the tone at all RPM ranges, zero drone, and has gotten more compliments than any other setup I have had. It's loud, but quiet when you want. And it's loud without losing the shape in it's tone. Very throaty, sounds like it is snarling. But it's also one of the more expensive, and a lot of people don't care for it!

It all comes down to personal preference at the end of the day. None of them give gains when you're talking just the muffler or axlebacks, but people's taste in the way they sound varies greatly! I love the Flowmaster sound and was sorry to see them go. But for the RPM ranges I see in my daily driving, the drone was just... too much for me.
I unfortunately have an auto with a 3.31, which means I'm turning about 2,150 rpms at about 70 mph. Which means I really close to the 1700 - 2000 drone zone.

I really want the 40 series sound on the outside, and a 50 series sound on the inside. But it looks like I will have to make a compromise on this one
Old 11-09-2011, 08:51 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

when considering axle backs, you should also take into account the rest of your exhaust.
paricularly the midpipe.
some axle backs just dont go well with an x pipe. some go very well with an x pipe.
some will sound great with an otherwise stock exhaust, then you change the midpipe, and now it sounds horrible.
i've gone through 5 exhaust changes to get it exactly how i want it.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:03 PM
OhEightGT
2nd Gear Member

Like onederful100 said, it depends a lot on your midpipe/other exhaust mods too!

You are close to the drone zone, but my drone zone actually ended around 1,700. So if your experience is like mine you should be good... But you know what? you can experiment too! Where I put resonators in to get rid of the hillbilly slap, you might try putting in a short glasspack on each side before the flowmaster to "quiet down" and clean up the sound just a little?

Exhaust is a really tough thing to give advice on. It's so subjective. What classifies as drone to me, may not even sound like that to you. I've heard people with exhaust on their car or truck that sounds awful to me, but they and others love it! Just take your time That stuff is really expensive! But I have no doubt you'll end up happy. When you care enough to actually ponder it for days/weeks/months and ask questions, that means you're not going to just settle. I'd keep listening to videos/cars in the real world and don't do anything until something stands out and you pay more attention to it than any other!
Old 11-09-2011, 09:38 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

OhEightGT is a pretty smart guy!

yea, exhaust is so subjective.
my 2000 GT with Mac catback and o/r h pipe drones like crazy, but i love that drone.
hollow and deep, but has that drone that could give you a headache.
but sometimes i leave the stereo off and just enjoy the drone-zone.
and then my 2007 GT has very little drone, and i like that too.
2 very different sounds, but i like them both!
Old 11-09-2011, 10:09 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Catless Pypes Violators...
Old 11-09-2011, 10:57 PM
OhEightGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by onederful100
OhEightGT is a pretty smart guy!
Haha, I try! But I can't be too smart, I went through so many exhaust setups and that costs $$$ :P But I'm happy if all my experiments help someone else save some money

Quick Reply: Anyone using Flowmaster 50 Series Delta Flows?