Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5-speed vs automatic

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 12:34 AM
REDBOSS1
3rd Gear Member

I think I would get bored driving an auto......I love bangin through my gears.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:11 AM
ZPounds07GT
3rd Gear Member

I have an automatic but have never driven a manual and don't know how to.

I would say for you to test drive both, but don't make a decision after driving only one of each. Drive a couple different ones and see the differences from car to car and determine if the way one car feels is the same as others.

If you decide you like driving an auto for around town but like the feel of shifting on your own you could always throw in a TCI Wratchet Shifter to go through the gears. You can check YouTube to see how they work and the difference it makes. Many say that it brought fun back to the automatic.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:22 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

You mean one of these................its awesome and should be the next mod after the cai tune mod.
Attached Thumbnails 5-speed vs automatic-img_20110424_171952.jpg  
Old 11-14-2011, 04:09 PM
ZPounds07GT
3rd Gear Member

^^ Yeah that. Lol. How do you like it in your car?
Old 11-14-2011, 05:15 PM
mayo
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JMJ4492
Hi guys, I'm thinking of buy an 05 gt and was wondering to people that have driven both if the 5-speed feels noticebly faster.
Guess it depends on where you are driving it, my friend. On a backroad twisty, you better believe a manual will feel faster as you command the rpm output. On a straight-line, not much of a difference. As stated before, ur best bet is to drive both as much as possible until you have made your decision.
Doing donuts kinda depends on the amount of rubber you have to the ground. With my stock tires I can fry them as much as I like, but with my summer bologna's not so much. 295/45/18 on the rear grips like a mother and wheel spin is very limited...i'm happy to say

Tci shifter is badass and is a must on the auto!
Old 11-14-2011, 06:28 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Not to add fuel to the fire of this age old debate, but I can definitely see it form both sides equally.

For me, I prefer a stick. And after driving mine for some time now, I just cannot see myself driving an automatic. Each time I get in an automatic car, I just completely feel out of place without the stick. And when driving along, I notice myself reaching down to try to up-shift only to be startled because no stick is there. I also chug along and instead of the tranny shifting when it is supposed to, there is a delay that seems to take forever before it finally shifts. With a stick, I control the shifts directly.

On the other side of the argument, automatic transmissions are much more versatile, precise, and stronger than before. Sure, a stock 6R80 6 speed tranny does not shift when you want it too in stock form, but with the right tune, you get **** points that are exact every single time. In a stick, the car only shifts as good as you shift it. If you are slow or not as skilled in shifting fast, there is no way you can beat an auto with good shift points tuned in.
Also, many guys in autos seem to fare decently at the drag strip. Only the skilled and very good drivers have manuals that can outperform an auto. I see it all the time, and I of course would get my own *** spanked badly by such a driver and also by guys with good shift points tuned into their automatics. (I do not consider myself a good shifter when it comes to the track).
Old 11-14-2011, 10:00 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlyY6Qs59xY

Can't do this in an auto..

I mean, you can but it may break lol
Old 11-15-2011, 02:53 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Driving a manual is a lot more fun and allows you to take control!
Old 11-15-2011, 08:37 PM
BAB GT
2nd Gear Member

I owned an '06 V6 manual pony pkg. and currently own an '06 GT auto premium, both red. I preferred the manual and wish my GT was not auto, but the price was right. If you are not drag racing, go with the manual for "drive vs. ride" factor, but drive both first, because the manual is not the ricer import manual, there is effort for the left leg and the right arm involved. I am definitely going to check out the TCI shifter because I miss the manual.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:32 PM
BlackGT45th
2nd Gear Member

Bought my 09 as an auto and will never look back... I get that some people prefer the stick but I don't and never will. Drove my mother's '00 a few times and a manual just isn't anymore fun than an auto is for me. Get what you know you will like for the long haul. Find one of each and test drive them a bit, then you'll know what to get.

Quick Reply: 5-speed vs automatic