Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension & Cosmetics or Drivetrain???

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 11:21 AM
stags
3rd Gear Member

Default Suspension & Cosmetics or Drivetrain???

Hey Guys-

So xmas is fast approaching and immediatly following that is my 21st birthday, and between that and work over xmas break im hoping to pull together 2-3k in mod money. Question being, what direction to go with it?

FYI, I have a 2009 V6 Pony Package in Candy Apple Red, mods in the sig

I have a few options Ive been tossing around

Option 1: Drivetrain rebuild. Possibly the most expensive, would include an 8.8" rear w 3.73s, aluminum driveshaft, TR3650 upgrade, MGW shifter, upgraded clutch. Basically, redoing everything from the flywheel back in anticipation of going FI at a later date.

Option 2: Suspension. Koni Yellows, Steeda springs, Swaybars, a panhard bar, rear upper and lower control arms. The exact parts would likely be purchased based on what Sam Strano recommends, but the suspension would likely be entirely redone.

Option 3: Cosmetics. Im looking at adding either vinyl lemans or a supersnake stripe in flat black, some black rims (Either bullies or the RTR style) tinted front lights and turn signals, rear blackout panel, a black billet grille, a black billet fuel door, dual exhaust w either boomtubes or loudmouths. Basically, going hard for that black on red look similar to what AM did to their 2011 v6 or the supersnake in red w black accents

Thoughts/ Input welcomed!

Old 11-17-2011, 11:40 AM
Jas5
3rd Gear Member

I dont really see the point in upgrading the drivetrain unless I were to go FI very soon and for certain...

You already have CAI and exhast, i'd probably get some more aggressive wheels (9.5-11 inch in rear looks so good) and lowering springs. That'd be roughly 2k...Completely changes the look of any car. Do you even plan on taking it to the track?

I'd also contemplate getting just headers and wheels instead of the above. Great blend of performance upgrade and looks

Last edited by Jas5; 11-17-2011 at 11:42 AM.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:53 AM
Alec
5th Gear Member

I'd pick them in the order that you have them. Of all the mods I've done, the performance ones are without a doubt the most fun. I'd rather have a quick car that looks stock than one that looks quick and isn't. That's just me though.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:07 PM
ZPounds07GT
3rd Gear Member

I would do a combination of 2 and 3. Go for wheels and tires and upgrade the suspension but I doubt Sam will tell you to change everything. He will more than likely tell you that you don't need all of that unless you are auto crossing.

It just depends on if you want power now or later. If you did drivetrain I would still mix it, do 8.8 axles with gears, driveshaft and suspension, that is if money permits.

But then again RTR wheels and tires will be about 2 grand alone.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:14 PM
kenthicken
4th Gear Member

I'd go for the wheels and suspension first. If you plan on keeping the car for any length of time, then go for the other drivetrain mods later.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:21 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Looks and suspension would be where I headed first. It really depends on how you use your car, if you ever take it to the track, etc. If you don't, then suspension and drive-train alike aren't too important until you're right at FI's doorstep.

For me, I addressed looks on my car first thing because for me, the power I have is more than enough right now. I aimed to make it sound the way I like a car to sound, and to look aggressive like I had always imagined. If I tracked my car though, I'd probably have gone straight to suspension and worked with that and then likely drive-train as FI starts to linger in my head.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:56 PM
Roy_R
4th Gear Member

I'd save the money for a 2013/2014 V8.....
Old 11-17-2011, 02:15 PM
stags
3rd Gear Member

The only reason Im talking about doing a tranny swap right now is because Ive got an occasional grind in 3rd and the beginnings of one in 4th. From what ive gathered, synchro problems plague the T5s, and replacing the T5 now may be cheaper than having the work done to replace the synchros every few years. That one will come down to whether or not Ford will do the syncro on my extended warranty

As far as the 8.8", I believe I can get the 3.73 rear and install it myself at a cost thats comparable to what it would cost to get gears for the 7.5 and have those professionally installed. I also heard someone busted their built 7.5 with nittos and a CAI/ tune. And a large part of that is just me wanting 3.73s

As far as tracking it, I dont have any delusions of grandeour about drag racing in a V6. Maybe someday but I dont right now. I do plan to start some AutoX in the spring tho.

And sorry but Im biased in favor of the 05-09 style. I love my car and couldnt part with it, even for a V8. Im content to make her as good as she can be.

Would you guys go Lemans or SuperSnake for the stripe???

Last edited by stags; 11-17-2011 at 02:17 PM.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:26 PM
Jas5
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Roy_R
I'd save the money for a 2013/2014 V8.....
yeah or even get a 2011 V6 in a couple of years. 306hp.

Seems like buying a car with more power to begin with is better than going FI on a 210hp motor. So, you'll spend all of the time and money on a FI kit and still only have maybe 250-300whp, when a bone stock 2011 V6 would already have that. Or just trade up to a 05-09 GT for less money.

edit: just ready your last post.. to each his own.. i drove the sohc 161hp base model 3000GT for four years, and did some basic mods (intake, exhaust, wheels), so I feel you.
Driving the 320hp VR4 (twin turbos, AWD) made me really want to upgrade. I loved my car, great DD, but slow as *****. But my roommates 05 stang v6 auto is definitely faster lol.

Last edited by Jas5; 11-17-2011 at 02:33 PM.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:38 PM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

If it were me I wouldn't think twice about swapping in the TR3650. The T5 is such a piece, I'm sure you would love it if you did it.
I went all appearance mods first, and I love the way it looks, so my opinion is a little biased. If you aren't overly worried about the transmission then go for a mix of appearance and suspension mods.

Quick Reply: Suspension & Cosmetics or Drivetrain???