Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 GT STANCE thread

Old 11-25-2011, 04:51 PM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

Mustangs are sexy.

They are sexier when on proper lowering springs and wider wheel/tire combos.

Not criticizing anyone; just my honest opinion...but I feel it's silly to use an import scene term to label the way a sexy Mustang looks and obsess about it to no end.

May I add that the Termi is the king of stance. They look so sexy lowered a little.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:44 PM
Maraman
3rd Gear Member

What is this import term that the kings of the import world have coined and are using?
Old 11-26-2011, 08:18 PM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

Talking about "stance". It's something that the import world obsesses over.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=stance

STANCE:
1. (verb) - to adjust a car's camber, ride height, and spacing, so that the sidewall of the tire sits as flush as possible with the fender/quarter panel. A common trend and style impersonated on drift and show cars alike, originating from the older Japanese domestic market.This new car I got it higher than a 4x4! It needs to be stanced.

2. To destroy a cars handling abilities by having it lowered an excessive amount. Typically, the tires are tucked way inside the vehicles fenders. But in order to have a hellaflush stance and run the required excessively wide wheels with tires that are stretched just to fit onto the wheels, the car has to have an excessive amount of negative camber. If you stand behind one of these cars don't be surprised to see the rear tires looking like "/ \". The rear tires are probably bald on the inside and the outside still looks brand new, and there's probably only an inch of contact patch with the ground. A hellaflush stance car can't even pull into a driveway without bottoming out and ripping the bumper off or cracking the vehicles oil pan. Some stanced cars are so extreme that you can't even turn the vehicles steering wheel fully in either direction without the tires rubbing.
"Eric, look at that stanced car, it looks so damn retarded. I don't understand why these kids do it, they are killing the performance and asking to get pulled over. ****, if they get pulled over, they are gonna get deported!"

"With all that money he spent stancing his car, he could have actually made it handle well and be pretty damn quick. Instead he can't even go over a speedbump without using 2x4s."
Old 11-27-2011, 08:06 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ricardo
Talking about "stance". It's something that the import world obsesses over.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=stance

STANCE:
1. (verb) - to adjust a car's camber, ride height, and spacing, so that the sidewall of the tire sits as flush as possible with the fender/quarter panel etc.
Even though the import guys may be obsessed with it, I'm afraid that the term itself predates them - all they've done is borrow it and perhaps try to take it over by trying to limit its definition. "Stance" has been a term in the traditional hotrodding world for decades, and has appeared in Hot Rod Magazine at least as far back as 1992 (google on "stance Gray Baskerville").

It's meaning is much wider than any single "style" or "Urban Dictionary definition". The dragstrip "gassers" have their particular stance, just to mention a use of the term that's about as far removed from anything you'd ever see from the import enthusiast scene as you could get.

I'm not exactly crazy about what the word itself implies, because I'm pretty hardcore about function before form and prefer a "sleeper" outward appearance. But OP's use of the word is dead-on, and it's worthy of respect that he's considering the potential mechanical consequences of style-driven modifications.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 11-27-2011 at 08:09 AM.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:00 AM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

Oh. Well that's something I didn't know.
Agreed that function over form is king.
Thanks Norm!
Old 12-07-2011, 04:33 PM
flashpasta
1st Gear Member

couple more, no details

Old 12-07-2011, 04:35 PM
flashpasta
1st Gear Member

the older one is almost rockin some hellaflush action. I wonder how it handles...