Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

T-lok limited slip install in 7.5 rear..

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 01:17 PM
SLVRSTNG06
2nd Gear Member

Default T-lok limited slip install in 7.5 rear..

Hey guys I was thinking about installing the ford racing limited slip differential in my stock 7.5 rear end on my 06 v6.. How much is the average cost of install and anything else I would need
Old 11-28-2011, 01:23 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

What if you upgraded to a 8.8 from NewTakeOff... GT's come with a limited slip factory... maybe not a T-Lok, but maybe comparable in price but with a beefier rear...
Old 11-28-2011, 03:16 PM
kput
4th Gear Member

I swear every single time I've asked this same question, or similar, all I get are responses like the above...

an new rear end will cost north of 600 bucks, PLUS install.
LSD is much much cheaper.
Not everyone wants a bigger rear axle, we just want the LSD on ours.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:45 PM
Biceps
3rd Gear Member

A company in my area that specializes in all things "rear ends" - LOL - quoted me at around $330 to install the Ford Racing T-LOK for the 7.5.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:08 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kput
I swear every single time I've asked this same question, or similar, all I get are responses like the above...

Please accept my sincerest apologies for suggesting that... I certainly didn't mean to suggest the cost would be comparative... Especially since I had never inquired into the cost of this sort of upgrade nor recall seeing a previous thread where the cost was disclosed. I did not mean to indicate that spending more money was the ideal option, just sharing my uneducated thoughts... If it can be done for this low of a price, then go for it.

Don
Old 11-28-2011, 08:14 PM
kput
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BigDinTexas
Please accept my sincerest apologies for suggesting that... I certainly didn't mean to suggest the cost would be comparative... Especially since I had never inquired into the cost of this sort of upgrade nor recall seeing a previous thread where the cost was disclosed. I did not mean to indicate that spending more money was the ideal option, just sharing my uneducated thoughts... If it can be done for this low of a price, then go for it.

Don
wasn't saying you were offending, and don't mean to offend in return, lol.

I've just noticed that each and everytime someone says something about a LSD or other axle mods someone comes back with suggesting the 8.8 rear,
the axle costs upwards of 600 and the install alone can cost 400 itself. Most can't afford that compared with a 150$ lsd and install.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:18 AM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Do a search, as this question has been asked once or twice before.

And good for you in putting in a t-loc! It's something Ford should have included in the stock 7.5's to begin with. ...you wont have to worry about them dangerous slow-speed left-hand turns anymore, which have wrecked so many v6'ers.
Old 11-30-2011, 03:01 PM
jmk3
3rd Gear Member

My 83 GT 5.0 came stock with a 7.5" t lock, (they all did). I broke the side gears in the diff 2 times and that car only had about 225 HP close to what your V6 has. I think thats why people steer you toward the larger 8.8 t loc. I eventually ordered a 8.8 for the 83 from Ford Motorsport & never had another problem.
Old 11-30-2011, 03:46 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kput

Thats fine if you are staying N/A but they are easy to break...I actually think JimC broke his 7.5 TLok N/A. Why pay for the Tlok + install when it is about the same price as an 8.8 and it is stronger altogether....? Doesn't make sense to me, but then again mostly everything you say doesn't make sense to me...

And you say $150 LSD? Where? I am pretty sure its $200 or so, also when you put a TLok you usually change the gears as well which is more money, in the end you are spending the same amount as an 8.8 and you still have a weak axle...

Last edited by 2005Redfire6; 11-30-2011 at 03:50 PM.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:46 PM
JimC

2005redfire is correct, I broke the 7.5 with tlok, Richmond 3.73's and the LPW girdle on it when the car was N/A just had a set of 255-50x16 Mickey Thompsons on the back and after a few track visits the pinion bent. (and the performance shop said "these Richmonds are a little noisy but you will never break them -they were surprised).

With the cost of the parts and installation I found that was the worst modding decision. The 8.8 with 3.55's actually cost me less, and a shop only charged me $150 to do the swap for me (my wife didn't want me to do it in the driveway on jack stands, she had visions of the car coming down on me).

Quick Reply: T-lok limited slip install in 7.5 rear..