Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

quick questions about adding mods

Old 12-03-2011, 03:22 PM
dadirtypoostick

Default quick questions about adding mods

I just bought my first mustang yesterday, 2005 gt, and know I am going to add CAI, catback, new mufflers and possibly headers. Doing a quick google search I found that several websites claim I will need to reprogram the cpu (if I am recalling that correctly). Is this correct and is it difficult?

Secondly I plan on keeping the shaker system pretty much stock (for the first time in any car I have owned) there arent any aux or usb/ipod ports. Is there another stock head unit I can install?

sorry if this is the wrong section
Old 12-03-2011, 03:30 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Yes you will have to retune the computer. When you buy an intake, buy a cai+hand tuner combo. It's very easy.

I replaced my Shaker1000 with a Pioneer unit, but I believe there are adapters that will hook to the factory unit and allow you to use an aux-jack
Old 12-03-2011, 03:45 PM
stags
3rd Gear Member

go to americanmuscle.com
Old 12-03-2011, 04:08 PM
dadirtypoostick

Thanks for the info. I have a feeling I will be spending a lot of time and money on american muscle.

As far as the retune goes, will I have to retune after adding parts seperately? ex: I buy the CAI, tuner combo install it and a couple months later I want to add header or catback. Will I have to retune after each part is installed?
Old 12-03-2011, 04:11 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Reprogramming the car CPU, or PCM or ECU (what the auto industry call it), is as very easy. This is called retuning.

You do not need to retune for each part separately. Just tell the tuner all you mods. However, if you later buy another mod, you might have to retune again for the new mod you later added.

All you have to do is contact a reputable aftermarket tuner, tell tell them your car info including the PCM/ECU code, let them know what CAI kit you are using, and they can write a tune for the mods so the PCM/ECU has the correct parameters to adjust for the different air flow, etc.
You will of course have to buy a hand-held tuner, they will sell you one with the tune, and when it comes in the mail, all you have to do is plug it into the OBD port under the steering wheel and follow the instructions.
Old 12-03-2011, 04:47 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

05-09 did not have aux jack ports on the actual head unit. The plug was pulled all the way into the center console box. You can replace with a 07+ head unit to have the proper connections but you will still need to make a port somewhere in the vehicle. I have an 06 and picked up a PIE unit to install an aux port but I haven't gotten around to it yet, so I can't tell you how well it works.

As for tuning, you will need to tell your tuner what mods are in or going into the vehicle. If you just do a CAI/tune now and do headers later, then yes, you will need to get the tune updated. If you buy tunes in advance and you tell them what mods are going in, then you need to make sure all the tune required performance parts go in at the same time or your tune will be incorrect. Example, you tell them you are doing CAI and headers but decide to do headers at a later date, you can't run that tune. You would need to have it adjusted.

AM gives you tunes for life, while I believe Brenspeed is if you buy the part from them, they update your tune for free, otherwise it's a fee.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:46 PM
BlackGT45th
2nd Gear Member

If you buy a CAI/Tuner package from AM you get free Bama custom tunes for life. They send you a form with some questions regarding the current mods you have and write you up 3 tunes to use. If in the future you add another mod simply give Bama a call or email and they can write tunes to include said mod you are adding such as headers or mid pipe. I like the shaker unit, after owning my Trans am with an old cheap kenwood unit and 1 working speaker this car's audio sounds dang good by comparison.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:00 PM
dadirtypoostick

One last question. I was looking at the manifolds today and it looks like a tight fit. I I assume they come in and stop out from the bottom. Is this as technical as it appears or is it simple bolt on? Meaning, should I just go ahead and pay somebody to do it?
Old 12-03-2011, 07:51 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dadirtypoostick
One last question. I was looking at the manifolds today and it looks like a tight fit. I I assume they come in and stop out from the bottom. Is this as technical as it appears or is it simple bolt on? Meaning, should I just go ahead and pay somebody to do it?
Are you talking about the intake manifold or swapping out the exhaust mani with headers? If you are talking about the exhaust, do a search for L/T or shorty headers, depending on what you intend and whether cats are important for your locale.

Don
Old 12-03-2011, 09:07 PM
dadirtypoostick

Originally Posted by BigDinTexas
Are you talking about the intake manifold or swapping out the exhaust mani with headers? If you are talking about the exhaust, do a search for L/T or shorty headers, depending on what you intend and whether cats are important for your locale.

Don
My bad, I was talking about exhaust manifolds and most likely will go with shorty headers. I want to keep it as simple as possible. I also would do catback and mufflers at the same time. main thing is I want it to have a nice throaty rumble.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: quick questions about adding mods