Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what do I need for 11sec 1/4 mile

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 08:31 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

I was gonna mention that this is a great forum for information but always call a shop to verify the information you have. Brenspeed is great at not leading you down a sales path and they deal mainly with the auto as far as drag racing so they are experts. U can ask them about turbos and centris and all that ****. But do yourself a favor and call them when u have questions.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:29 AM
SteedaGus
Former Sponsor

Suspension wise all you really should need is a good adjustable upper and some lower arms and control arm relocation brackets to adjust your weight transfer.

Make sure you put a good tire under it too. - ***edit - sorry if this was already answered, I posted a bit too quickly before I realized this was up to 3 pages
Old 12-05-2011, 11:13 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Spending a few grand here and there won't be enough. It's gonna be at least 10k. With the auto trans getting a proper TC and stall will be key. It's the one mod I am missing.
Outceltj makes a good point. Call up brenspeed and other vendors about your goals, they are very friendly and cool about answering questions.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:50 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ricardo
I know 3 guys with sub-12 second supercharged S197s and each of them had to upgrade the transmissions and forge the bottom end.

Do it now or later...later will be messier.
Stock tranny. Stock bottom end. 11-12 psi. Hundreds of passes. 4 years of boost. Only things I've ever broke were the clutch and the tensioner. Deep 11s.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:04 PM
5spdftw
2nd Gear Member

Also, this guy is in California (like me!) so if he intends to keep it streetable he basically can't touch exhaust or any non-CARB power adders. Cams will fail smog also.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:04 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Do keep in mind when ur r racing in the 1/4 never let ur shift into OD. Always keep it in D. Ricardo may know 3 people that's had to do that but there are countless others doing the same without upgrading both motor and tranny. A little common sense will go along way. Plus I'd ur tracking the car : or 3 times a year then u should be fine
Old 12-05-2011, 02:52 PM
09cs
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 5spdftw
Also, this guy is in California (like me!) so if he intends to keep it streetable he basically can't touch exhaust or any non-CARB power adders. Cams will fail smog also.
I think he's from Ontario, Canada
Not Ontario CA.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:29 PM
kevilay
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, im from ontario canada. We have an emission test also. Not sure how tight it is tho.

On another note what do you guys think of these turbos:

http://on3performance.com/mustanggt3v.html

They were referred to me by one of the members. The hellion turbos from brenspeed are around 6000$, this is around 1800. I know the brenspeed is a kit. Do any of you guys have person experience or have an opinion on this?

Thanks
Kevin

btw. you guys are awesome 3 pages of knowledge in <24hrs
Old 12-05-2011, 05:09 PM
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member

You want a sputtering idle like mine?

http://s149.photobucket.com/albums/s...camsstage3.mp4

Just kidding. You don't want that.

Since you are only going to visit a dragstrip a couple of times a year...I would turbo or supercharge with about 6-8 lbs. Likely not hurt anything. Don't bother chasing 11s. Having been there..done that... would not do it again.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:28 PM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

The On3 turbo kit is a great kit for a starting kit. You can upgrade the waste gate and blow off valve and run the turbo that comes with it until you can afford to upgrade. The piping that comes with the kit is very good. If you like the sound of big cams then you don't want a turbo. Those type cams are the exact opposite of what a turbo needs. The stock cams work very well with a turbo setup.

If you go with a supercharger the Saleen setup from Brenspeed is a good deal but any of the Twin screw type superchargers kits will work fine. The max I would go with a stock bottom end is 450 rwhp. There have even been failures at this level but most haven't had and problems. Lot's of guys run higher with no problem but with the stock rods it's a ticking time bomb.

With an auto you definitely need a torque converter. I would recommend a Circle or Precision Industries multi-disk with about 3000 stall speed for a mostly street driven car. You will need a set of adjustable lower control arms and a one piece drive shaft. You should be able to use the stock upper control arm at your desired power levels. For a driveshaft save yourself some aggravation and money and get the one from The Drive Shaft Shop http://www.driveshaftshop.com/domest...earance-issues Automatics have a problem with vibrations that manuals don't seem to have. I have been through 3 different companies driveshafts without eliminating the vibration problems until I got this one.

Earl

Quick Reply: what do I need for 11sec 1/4 mile