Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what do I need for 11sec 1/4 mile

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 04:53 PM
kevilay
2nd Gear Member

Default what do I need for 11sec 1/4 mile

Hey guys right now im rocking a stock 08 gt. I have done some exterior mods to give it a beautiful look now I want to lay down some rubber. I would like to break into the 11 second mark in the quarter mile. I understand this will take some extensive modding. I am planning on doing this overtime and since I know little about modifying cars most of this will be done by a professional shop. My question to you guys is what do I need to do to get around this mark and in what order? From whats ive read this is some of the stuff i was looking at.

Breenspeed Saleen Stage 3 package
cams
suspension upgrades?
Drag tires (not sure which)

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Keep into account this is my daily driver right now. However this could change down the road.

Thanks
Kevin
Old 12-04-2011, 05:26 PM
coleconner

11's aren't hard to pull from 2005-2010 GT's. Basically.. You need to look at your overall goal. You don't want to be buying stuff now that you will be replacing later. For example; don't buy an mid pipe (X/H-Pipe); if you plan on changing to Long tubes later on.

-I would start with 4.10 gears since your wanting to drag race, the 4.10's provide the best gearing for finishing the 1/4 @ a good RPM.

-Heads/Cams are an expensive altercation and really don't provide numbers to support the fiscal investment. Heads/Cams would cost you 2,500.00 easy and you would be lucky to get over 375 wrhp. (This is a good gain over stock; however, not enough to get in the 11's)

-Superchargers: Superchargers are expensive, but doesn't require too extensive of an installation. You will however need a tune for any aftermarket power adder, so take that in to consideration. A good Dyno tune starts around $400 and can cost much more.

-Turbos: Turbos are relatively cheap to build and have less limits than a supercharger. You will have a little more in installation and many parts will be necessary to complete the job. The On3 Performance turbo kit would easily put you in the 11's with proper tuning and the complete part list would only cost you about 2,300.00 bucks. Unlike superchargers that will require upgrades in order to run higher boost; a good turbo will support much more boost than your stock 3V can handle safely. Which I would assume would be about 8-10lbs (450-500hp).
Old 12-04-2011, 05:34 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

How much are you looking to spend?
Old 12-04-2011, 05:50 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Supercharger and good tires (MT et streets) would be a start. If an auto then a TC and your good, otherwise, depending on what blower, you may also need longtubes, cams, new gears and possible some suspension work IE uca and lca. Look at my sig. My best time was 12.23 and it was done is bad air. With good air I know I can knock a tenth off that at least but that's still not 11's. Expect to spend at least $10k IMO.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:04 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

808 is right about spending about 10k for the parts to get ur car into the 11 second range. Its a expensive hobby but fun. Let us know with what u decide b/c everything u need to know is in the above posts
Old 12-04-2011, 06:47 PM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

I know 3 guys with sub-12 second supercharged S197s and each of them had to upgrade the transmissions and forge the bottom end.

Do it now or later...later will be messier.

These other guys' cars are living on the edge with the only safety rope being a safe tune They'll tell you that quickly, it's all about the tune.

Not saying it can't be done because many do it successfully and with no issues, but why chance dumping 10k into a car and then go lean once and BAM!

Last edited by Ricardo; 12-04-2011 at 06:51 PM.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:49 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Your correct Ricardo, there is always risk when adding a blower. Better to have a blown motor fund ready to go just in case.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:03 PM
coleconner

3V Aluminator is only 3,500 bucks and already has low compression for boosted applications! Do it!! Buy the motor build it in your garage over time and still be driving yours around. Thats what Im doing.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:00 PM
kevilay
2nd Gear Member

if only i knew how to build a motor As for drag racing, i live about 3 hours away from a strip so i might take it for a few runs maybe twice a year. Not sure if that changes the durability factor.

On another note, i haven't heard much about turbos on this car. Does anyone have one?

Also I love a car with a mean growl, like the old big blocks with the cams to give them sputtery idles

Ive priced out a supercharger at brenspeed with them installing and tuning it, but its very expensive. I think it was around 10k including saleen stage 3 supercharger kit with a cam also.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:33 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

There are lots of guys with turbos. You just gotta do your research and learn about them. Its good to ask questions but you gotta read old threads to educate yourself on the differences etc.... What is your budget? If you are not gonna be doing the installs, expect to pay a lot more than $10k for all the mods you will need.

Quick Reply: what do I need for 11sec 1/4 mile