Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need hoodpins for a fiberglass hood?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 08:04 PM
Jas5
3rd Gear Member

Default Need hoodpins for a fiberglass hood?

Checking my oil.. not burning any! my hood feels abnormally light and after tapping on it I decide it must be fiberglass... I mean isnt that the only material my cowl hood comes in?

When going 75+mph on the interstate I notice my hood shaking a little bit, kinda scared me, but wondering if I need hoodpins for extra safety? Otherwise I like the sleeper look.... but pins still look sweet

thanks!
Old 12-12-2011, 09:03 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Yes. Next question. haha...but seriously, most manufacturers recommend hood pins with fiberglass hoods.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:18 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Cowl hood, sleeper... really?

OT, Baker, what happened to your sig? it's no longer jiggly.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:23 PM
09cs
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by danzcool
Cowl hood, sleeper... really?

^That

OT, Baker, what happened to your sig? it's no longer jiggly.
^And that too (wheres Mongoose? lol)

OP people will tell you different things. When doing 75+ I would notice my hood would lift, so I got hood pins. I don't care what anyone says, they give me peace of mind and no more hood lift
Old 12-13-2011, 06:41 AM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jas5
Checking my oil.. not burning any! my hood feels abnormally light and after tapping on it I decide it must be fiberglass... I mean isnt that the only material my cowl hood comes in?

When going 75+mph on the interstate I notice my hood shaking a little bit, kinda scared me, but wondering if I need hoodpins for extra safety? Otherwise I like the sleeper look.... but pins still look sweet

thanks!
That's odd because my cowl is definitely heavier than the OEM and it's fiberglass. Not a huge difference but still...

Also debating with hood pins
Old 12-13-2011, 07:04 AM
Wil
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Alec
That's odd because my cowl is definitely heavier than the OEM and it's fiberglass. Not a huge difference but still...

Also debating with hood pins
I noticed my cowl was also heavier then stock, I always thought fiberglass was lighter. The last week, my hood randomly unlatched itself right before I got on the highway...THANK GOD I wasn't on yet, when I was younger, my mach1 hood from my 89 5.0 flew up and smashed my car when I was driving down the parkway. I never want to go through that again, now I'm really thinking of hood pins.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:24 AM
GrayPony
4th Gear Member

I went with retro style pins with my cowl hood

Old 12-13-2011, 11:18 AM
Jas5
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by GrayPony
I went with retro style pins with my cowl hood

^ looks great... definitely a cleaner alternative. I think i'd have to get the kind that has the little wire, just looks neat. Yeah ricers love them but this aint no ricer . Can you believe AM sells "hood pin APEARANCE" kits?

Originally Posted by Wil
I noticed my cowl was also heavier then stock, I always thought fiberglass was lighter. The last week, my hood randomly unlatched itself right before I got on the highway...THANK GOD I wasn't on yet, when I was younger, my mach1 hood from my 89 5.0 flew up and smashed my car when I was driving down the parkway. I never want to go through that again, now I'm really thinking of hood pins.
Holy **** yeah everytime I get on the interstate I would think of the scene from Tommy Boy where the hood flies up and causes them to wreck. Scary stuff. I wonder what causes the latch to fail? Maybe it gets rusty/dry and doesnt want to latch all the way...hmmm

glad to see strong presence of cowl hoods! they're definitely my favorite besides the shelby super snake style hood with the really wide scoop.
I stand corrected @ "cowl hood being sleeper" because it really does makes it look like you have a bigger motor or FI. very aggressive

Do they make carbon fiber cowl hoods? I guess this hood just feels slightly lighter than my last car's stock hood (3000GT)... maybe not. not sure how a stock stang hood feels.

I'm guessing you have to go get holes drilled in your hood for pins, im going to research it, hoping it doesnt cost an arm and a leg. Its safety + aesthetics (like wide wheels), what's not to like?

edit: GrayPony I'm really diggin the look, blacked out grille with just the little emblem, and those headlight splitters. ... and just noticed your front spoiler/lip, really sets it off

Last edited by Jas5; 12-13-2011 at 11:21 AM.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:46 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

I like the twist locks! But I got hood pins because of the hood flutter, unlikely it will come up but I'd rather be safe then sorry...
Old 12-13-2011, 11:46 AM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Fiberglass hoods are lighter than steel hoods... but we have aluminum hoods, so, if anything, usually we add a couple pounds, but they do look good.
I went with the shelby style hood pins (but no lanyards), it's mostly about peace of mind, I know the hood is not going to come up.

Quick Reply: Need hoodpins for a fiberglass hood?