Select shift automatic feature for 2013's - MustangForums.com



2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-14-2011, 09:21 AM   #1
stangs13
1st Gear Member
Thread Starter
 
stangs13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 58
Default Select shift automatic feature for 2013's

How do you guys think this will work?? Will it be a paddle shifter thing like whats on the Camaros? That option (if its paddles) would pull me closer to buying an 2013 automatic over a '12 manual!
stangs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:17 AM   #2
MrSandman
5th Gear Member
 
MrSandman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: MO
Posts: 3,234
Default

I think it's the shifter. IMHO.. this is more "natural". Every paddle shifter ive tried has felt awkward, especially around turns. Some turn with the wheel... some are stationary. Either way, you have to adapt your hands on the wheel for it.
MrSandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:39 AM   #3
aerbourne
2nd Gear Member
 
aerbourne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: TX
Posts: 412
Default

i dont know why they just now decided to do this...

but yeah, itll probably be on the shifter. if youre going to consider waiting for a '13, might as well wait and see what they have in store for the 50 year anniversary
aerbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:40 AM   #4
pdonket
4th Gear Member
 
pdonket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,846
Default

It's on the shifter itself, I think it's supposed to be like a switch on the side of the gear ***, like an up/down toggle that you can use to change gear. It's kind of good and bad, personally I think I'd prefer the paddles.
pdonket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:40 AM   #5
AzPete
4th Gear Member
 
AzPete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Panama City, FL
Posts: 1,214
Default

Yep...nothing more than a three position switch like has been shown on many sites. From center position, you use your thumb to shift up or down one gear at a time. Very much like the Expl. Ltd. 4x4 that I drove.
AzPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:53 PM   #6
stangs13
1st Gear Member
Thread Starter
 
stangs13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 58
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzPete View Post
Yep...nothing more than a three position switch like has been shown on many sites. From center position, you use your thumb to shift up or down one gear at a time. Very much like the Expl. Ltd. 4x4 that I drove.
Has there been an article that I have missed? I googled all over to try and find one(with pics) with no dice! I would have rather have seen them like paddle shifters.
stangs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 01:17 PM   #7
smokievol
2nd Gear Member
 
smokievol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 224
Default

The shifter on the Cooper S is great, paddles to shift with, BUT the best thing is you can shift from the stick. When you want to have fun, shift away, when your bogged down in traffic, go auto.
I am jealous as hell with this finally being added to the Mustang....but still keeping my 08.
smokievol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 01:26 PM   #8
AzPete
4th Gear Member
 
AzPete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Panama City, FL
Posts: 1,214
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangs13 View Post
Has there been an article that I have missed? I googled all over to try and find one(with pics) with no dice! I would have rather have seen them like paddle shifters.
This.... "Updated Powertrain

The Mustang GTs 5.0-liter V8 receives no significant updates for 2013, although Ford engineers have applied some new technology learned from the development of the Boss 302 to bump horsepower from 412 to 420 horsepower.

The significant powertrain update for 2013 is for the automatic transmission. A new SelectShift feature is available, allowing the driver to manually select gears via a button on the side of the shifter."

...from here..... http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/2011/1...ineup-overview
AzPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 01:38 PM   #9
pdonket
4th Gear Member
 
pdonket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,846
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzPete View Post
This.... "Updated Powertrain

The Mustang GTs 5.0-liter V8 receives no significant updates for 2013, although Ford engineers have applied some new technology learned from the development of the Boss 302 to bump horsepower from 412 to 420 horsepower.

The significant powertrain update for 2013 is for the automatic transmission. A new SelectShift feature is available, allowing the driver to manually select gears via a button on the side of the shifter."

...from here..... http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/2011/1...ineup-overview
He's talking primarily about the pictures included of the shifting mechanism I think.
pdonket is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Legendary Hurst shifters - up to $50 rebate carid General Tech 1 07-08-2016 09:55 AM
Original Owner 1970 Mustang b8checker New Member Area 3 09-30-2015 07:11 AM
Hello, new user with an older Mustang and a question treesloth New Member Area 4 09-28-2015 07:03 AM
Racer Appreciation Party at the NMRA World Finals nmra1965 Other Professional Racing 0 09-26-2015 10:46 AM
New Projects coming 2016 stealth_GT The Racers Bench 4 09-22-2015 02:19 PM


Tags
2013, auto, automatic, ford, gt, gt500, gts, mustang, option, paddle, select, selectshift, shift, shifter, shifters

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:26 PM.