Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTF, ANOTHER GREAT IDEA

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 12:30 AM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Young_Gun
My friend drove his Foxbody for 15,000mi before changing the oil

And whatdya know? He needed a boatload of new parts.
He was using an oil and filter that wasn't able to make an oil change interval like that. I would only attempt a 15,000 mile interval if I were using Amsoil Signature Series in the sump and an Amsoil filter screwed on.

Originally Posted by MrSandman
At least they are not passing a law. From what I understand, the limiting factor isn't oil, it's the filter.
Very true, this is why my post above said...."and an Amsoil filter".

Originally Posted by mystangisblack
Call me crazy but I change my oil every 2500. While I know 5k would be fine, I just feel like I'm doing the right thing. THe guy i bought the car from changed it every 7500, and I feel a world of difference now.
You sound like my girlfriend. She told me how much better her car drives after an oil change. I said, baby...it's all in your head because you KNOW you have fresh oil in the engine. She disagreed, and said she can feel the difference.

The next oil change came due, but instead of changing the oil....I left the old oil in the engine and told her it was changed. She came home the following day and said her car drives so much better now, thanks for changing her oil.

I laughed, and showed her the new oil and filter in the shop that was never put in her car. She got made at me because I proved I was right.

Originally Posted by Art161
I think that the time interval is also important. I have my oil changed about every 1500 miles, which is every six months. I want the acid, condensation, and any other nasty stuff drained. For me, it's not the oil or filter that could be problematic; it's the possible accumulation of crud.
That's why Amsoil makes statements like...

Severe service schedule is 15,000 miles or one year, whichever occur first.

Originally Posted by Lethaldosage423
I work at a European shop where we specialize in BMW, AUDI, Mercedes Benz, VW, etc... the whole lot.
We use a High grade synthetic called TOTAL INEO 50501 and still recommend 5k on that oil
It's capable of 10k at least...get the life out of it.

Originally Posted by Lethaldosage423
We currently have an 06 Volvo XC90 in the shop. the lady does at least 20K between oil changes.
she came in on wed. and said its making an odd noise and it says low oil pressure.

The engine is sledged up, the oil pump is cooked. and the motor has pretty much no lubrication. it needs a new motor..at 90,000 miles.

CHANGE YOUR OIL!
So many stupid people in this world. There is a local BMW/JAG/Mercedes repair shop near me that a friend works at. He tells me stories like this all the time. What's really funny, the lady with 20k intervals was probably running lubricants that are only capable of 7,500 on a good day.

Last edited by Unleashedbeast; 12-25-2011 at 01:09 AM.
Old 12-25-2011, 03:18 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

I checked my owners manual, and I discovered that for 2011 plus GTs, using the Motorcraft blend (not the true synth), they recommend up to 10000 mile oil change interval.
For harsher conditions (towing, dusty unlaced roads) or hard spirited driving, the interval recommended drops to 7500 miles or less.

Using true synth oils, I don't change it until 10k miles because I do not drive hard nor do I go off road or tow.
Old 12-26-2011, 08:43 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Edit - the unedited version of this reply was posted before I saw that Jim had provided the necessary information. Anyway, if you're going to post a number, be sure to describe the usage that it applies to. Otherwise it doesn't mean much.

Originally Posted by BillQ
Anyone ever take notice of what Ford is recommending for our new Stangs?.. 10,000 miles
Did you happen to notice which driving schedule that 10k applies to?

Is it for whatever Ford is including under their description of "severe"?

Or is that the "normal driving" interval?

I strongly suspect that it's the normal schedule, but feel free to correct me if you find out differently.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 12-26-2011 at 05:20 PM.
Old 12-26-2011, 10:10 AM
Caution
5th Gear Member

I don't even think Caution has seen 3000 miles this year. Even then I'll still change it when I feel like it.
Old 12-26-2011, 12:20 PM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

The extra 1.5-2.0 quarts of oil in the new 5.0 sump helps to achieve a greater oil change interval for sure. Even cheap synblend Motorcraft can achieve 7,500-10,000 miles.

Imagine what a true synthetic could achieve with 8 quarts. Amsoil's Signature Series lubricants are able to achieve 15,000 miles (severe service) with a 6 quart sump. Maybe a little longer with 8 quarts, but I have no desire to exceed 15,000 miles per fill. IMO, the oil has paid for itself in that duration and is worthy of a change.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:12 AM
BillQ

The 10,000 is for normal conditions. But the neatest thing now is that the 'Info' section in the instrument cluster now allows you to check the status of your oil life. This is a projection based on the usage parameters that Ford has set for the engine [whatever they may be].
Old 12-27-2011, 04:20 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Originally Posted by BillQ
The 10,000 is for normal conditions. But the neatest thing now is that the 'Info' section in the instrument cluster now allows you to check the status of your oil life. This is a projection based on the usage parameters that Ford has set for the engine [whatever they may be].
Hey everyone,

As BillQ said, the Intelligent Oil Life Monitor calculates the oil change interval, up to 10k miles under normal conditions. It could be accelerated by situations including towing, short-distance driving, and extreme temperatures.

We offer a Maintenance Schedule at Owner.Ford.com that can be customized to your specific vehicle. You can also get quarterly service offers from your local dealer here. Check it out!

~Natasha