Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011/2012 issues holding anyone back??

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 03:59 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Default 2011/2012 issues holding anyone back??

Now before I get the comments "use the search button" I completely understand this topic is almost beat to death but I honestly cant decide. My father and I went to the dealer the other day, and he wants me to trade my car in on the 2012 Race Red cali special they have sitting on the lot. I REALLYYYYYYYY want a manual (test drove it and LOVED it), but the tranny issues have me worried. I have been reading on here as well as other forums as well and hear about more and more people running into issues with their manual. I went to another dealer last night and found a 2012 grabber blue cali special AUTO with the glass roof, hids, and comfort package. My MAIN question is, are the problem with the manual worth holding back on? I mean I dont want to buy a brand new car and have shifting issues, so maybe the auto is the way to go?.?.... I really wanted a manual cause I love being able to choose your own gear and choosing when YOU want to shift, but the issues have me a little worried.

Also I have read that people are blowing cyl #8, have gotten a bad engine tick after their first oil change, and some are also burning oil (some bad, some only minor). Has anyone on here run into these issues??

He is giving me $10k to put towards the trade and I am selling my blower locally, and also the dealer already told me they would take my car on a wash (I owe $24 and they are going to give me $24 with 15.5k miles). So basically I have the $10k + whatever else I get from selling some parts off my 2010 including the M90 kit. Also I am purchasing on the X Plan so I will be getting a great deal if this works out and my monthly payments will even drop.

I have also considered an SVT Raptor which is much more practical, than once I get out of college and get a good job, than reward myself with something nice like a shelby or a boss (3-4 years) and pay for it myself.

Last edited by grabber blue gt; 10-18-2011 at 04:02 PM.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:18 PM
L454S

Yup, it held me back about 5 minutes, the time it took me to get my check book out and make the purchase. That was after reading the very few legit tranny problems.

Try the Camaro forums, lots of crying about their Tremec 6 speed. I would not have bought an auto Mustang, it was either the stick or a different car(Camaro w/stick). Great driver, local and road trip, get what you want.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:06 PM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

I may be interested in the 2010 Stingers if you trade. Let me know.

Dan
Old 10-18-2011, 06:08 PM
kput
4th Gear Member

How bouts you trade your 2010 GT in for...hmmm..let's see...

a satin silver '06 v6? With about 32k miles on it...

Old 10-18-2011, 06:25 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

l454s - So I am guessing you have no problems with yours? I heard its a hit or miss, but I dont know if its worth the risk. The shifter felt a little notchy at first, but it has just been sitting on the lot and a few people said they experience it when its cold, and it did start to get a little smoother as the car warmed up.

Dan (dmhines) I will let you know as soon as I know what I am doing and if I decide to take the axle backs off before trading.

kput - wanna buy it lol? I'll leave the blower and everything on
Old 10-18-2011, 08:01 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

My '11 GT/CS has no issues with 10,800 miles or so. Of course, it could be that silver cars hold up better....lol I check the high speed shifting every time I leave the house.....buy what you want, not what others tell you to buy.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:23 PM
tightdogal
5th Gear Member

I have a 2012, but it's an automatic. I didn't buy it because of the MT-82 issue, tbh, I wouldn't let that stop me. Only 2/10 Mustangs have that issue. I bought the automatic cause of traffic actually, but I LOVE the auto. This coming from someone who loved and drove a 5-speed stick.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:34 PM
JimmyM
3rd Gear Member

I don't want to get on a soap box, but..

My clutch is ****. Notchy in 85 degree weather in middle of August, random grinds into 3rd and 5th, clunking sound going into 2nd, locked out of 4th on freeway a bunch of times, blah blah blah. I have everything short of gear whine, but I think that's only because GT's are the ones prone to that problem.

But I'm getting a MT82 GT early November (waiting for dealer to find what I want). I currently have a V6 PP.

The bottom line is that it's a game of chance. I rolled the dice and I lost the first time, but given the odds, I'm ready to roll again. Don't listen to the people that freak out or the people who pretend as if the problems don't exist. The issues are very real, but it's still only among owners who are minorities statistically.

This may just be me, but even if the odds were 50-50, I'd take my chance with a MT82 before I get an auto. No disrespect to auto owners, because I sometimes definitely wish I was in one when I'm stuck in LA traffic!
Old 10-18-2011, 08:36 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Man already tired of the blown 3V?
Old 10-18-2011, 10:32 PM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

See it seems to be a hit or a miss, but honestly I'm not sure if its worth it. Is ford standing behind these issues? Or are they just saying o0o well nothing much we can do? I dont want to buy a brand new car and not be able to drive it. When I test drove the red cali special it grinded going into 5th once out of the 5 times but I am not sure if maybe I didnt push it in hard enough, or maybe I didnt have the clutch down all the way.

Tightdogal do you ever regret not getting the manual? My 2010 is my first car so I have never had a manual car that I can compare but LOVED every minute of the test drive.

redfire -- its not that I'm tired of it, I just lost interest in the car almost completely. Ever since it was in the dealer because they destroyed my rear end I feel the car hasnt been the same. They test drove it with me in the car and everything and let it run on the lift, but honestly it doesnt feel the same as it used to. Also I cant help but look at the 5.0's putting down 400-420rwhp on just an intake and tune!!!! Makes me want some =D

Quick Reply: 2011/2012 issues holding anyone back??